DIY Handy Hands Free ideas?

I see - appears to be very well suited for the task, sturdy and not too high. You a lucky you had one around.

1 Like

Ah yeah I do remember seeing that. A big part of my design intention is to have it totally self-contained and quick-release, so aside from the actual mounting hardware to attach it to whatever, it’s 100% 3D printed parts. The design right now looks kind of like this, although I’ve made some improvements since making this screenshot.

6 Likes

That looks pretty cool so far. You should give some thought to making it VESA compatible, as using a monitor mount to hold these toys is very convenient. You could keep the existing screw layout and just create an adapter plate to print.

Oh yeah totally - this is the new version, I probably should have just taken a fresh screenshot haha

VESA, 1/4" tripod screw, 30mm M5 and 70mm M5 mounting holes

7 Likes

This looks amazing

how will that work with the strokes going down to bottom?
i have come up with a bit of a mount will post my effortIMG_20201020_120357

by the way i am not a super shooter, thats paint on my working jacket :rofl:

8 Likes

The bottom lip is just the right size for the bottom of the shuttle to not hit it, and also to not interfere with whatever sleeve is attached. Here’s a quick render of kinda what it’d be like if clamped to a desk with a C clamp and ball joint, with the Handy inside. I’m doing a prototype print of v3 today (which is what’s in this render) which I have high hopes for!

6 Likes

Alright so the design works great, so I’ve published the STL files for anyone with a 3D printer (or a friend with a 3D printer). Alternatively, if you have more dollars than sense you can send me like 100 USD and I’ll print it myself and ship it to you haha

Here’s a link to the STL files on thingiverse: Universal Hands-Free Handy Mount by defucilis - Thingiverse

HandyMountV3_AssembledBack

11 Likes

@satmeo @dude69 In which position do you use the Handy with the microphone stand? Sitting on a chair or laying down? I apologize if its a dumb question. thanks for posting these pics and suggestions!

1 Like

There are no dumb questions! I use it when sitting. For laying down I use my piano stand :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah same. I use it sitting

If you are fortunate enough to have a metal desk, I ended up just using this to mount my handy under my desk using two rare earth magnets and zipties

Holds it in place perfectly and I can just relax on my chair

If you don’t have a metal desk you could prob just pick up some simple plates with screw holes (assuming your desk is made of wood) so that you can use the fishing magnets above.

Works great!

4 Likes

@Cloudyfire do you mind some photos of this setup? i am a bit confused right now

2 Likes

How sturdy is the joint as it doesn’t seem to have anything to stop the ballpoint from moving much and the Handy has a bit force in it’s movement?

1 Like

There is a tightener for the ball. You can fix it at any position. There are some great videos on Youtube showing how each part of it works.

1 Like

I grabbed one of those today! Where on the handy do you have it ‘grab’ on to? Too low and it blocks the power connector, too high and it blocks the buttons.

Just gave it a test run. Had it clamped on to the top of the handy, and mounted to an Ikea Klipsk tray table on it’s side. Seemed to hold well for a hands free solution in bed.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Bought one and it works perfectly!

It’s a perfect solution for me. Sit at my desk, put scripts into ScriptPlayer or go to SLR. It’s always a fun ride.

Both the hand AND the stanly grip will arrive tomorrow, its gonna be a good day ooooffff