HandyControl 1.2.3 (28.11.2021) - Added Support for Pyro (Remote Control)

Many thanks

Still unable to get it to work after trying to disable my firewall, antivirus and restarting my router. Oddly enough the program works on my PC but not on my laptop which Iā€™m currently trying to run it on. Iā€™m running a Windows 8 laptop and it used to work on the older versions but after installing to the newest version it no longer works on both the new and old versions.

Nice job ive seen, still waiting for my ā€œdeviceā€ :wink: Will report soon.
Greetz from DE

Thats odd. I dont own Win8 to test it. :neutral_face:
Is the .NET framework on the Win 8 pc at least 4.7.2 ?

Try to search the folder with the user config and rename it temporary. It holds the user settings for the app versions. If you rename it then HandyControl will fallback to its default values. Maybe this helps to get v0.8.0 running.

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\HandyControl

Would that be possible to make HandyControl ā€œcontrolā€ the media player if itā€™s been opened separately with a video whose name doesnā€™t match? My problem is that my ā€œlibraryā€ of videos and scripts lie in two separate folders and they donā€™t have matching names. Iā€™d like to be able to just tell it ā€œhereā€™s the script, hereā€™s the video, play both in syncā€.

Also adding the scripts folder to the program causes it to start very slowly if thereā€™s many scripts inside the folder (600+ in my case).

Iā€™d like to be able to just tell it ā€œhereā€™s the script, hereā€™s the video, play both in sync

Currently if you drop a video on the app it loads the script with the same name. I dont realy use that and always open a script directly or in the script folder. I could change that to use the dropped video instead of the video inside the script folder. This way you can play the matching script video by default or override it with a different video from elsewhere no matter if it is synched or not. Is that ok?

Also adding the scripts folder to the program causes it to start very slowly if thereā€™s many scripts inside the folder (600+ in my case).

The scripts inside the script folders are anlysed to build a tooltip with time, speed and intensity and if you have enabled the heatmap preview setting then its also creating an image.
You can disable the preview image but the tooltip cant be disabled atm. I will make an option for that to skip the analysis (tooltip). This would be way faster (220 scripts ~1s without image). A quick fix for you is to splitt the folder into sub folders as I always analyse the folder level that you are accessing next. A dropdown with 600+ script is also not very helpfull to find something tbh. Try to build a tree structure.

Tried doing a full reset on Windows 8 and downloaded .Net framework 4.8 and Iā€™m still having the ā€˜Could not create SSL/TLS secure channelā€™ error :confused:.

Need to download and setup a virtual machine to test this. May take some timeā€¦
Is it Win 8 or 8.1?

Currently running Win 8.1

1 Like

If this means that Iā€™ll be able to do the following:

• open program
  • drop script file (doesnā€™t look for video automatically)
  • drop video file (doesnā€™t override dropped script file automatically)
  • hit upload script and play
  • script and video are played in sync

Then yes, this is exactly what Iā€™d be looking for.

Idk, maybe some people use current ā€œautomatedā€ approach. If so, probably an option in settings ā€œautomatically detect matching scripts and videos based on nameā€ would fix it. To me personally, itā€™s something Iā€™d like to have disabled permanently.

Thanks for quick reply!

1 Like

How it works now:
If you drop a script HandyControl searches for a video in the same folder. If there is none then HandyControl will just play the script without a video. If there is a video in the folder then HC will use it.
If you drop a video then HandyControl searches for a script in the same folder and loads the script (thats the part I can switch so HandyControl just use the video).

The new option is not necessary in my eyes because if you drop a script without auto-searching for a video then you always have to drop a video to play a sync script. The default automatic video search does this for everyone who has the video in the same folder. Everyone will enable this option to get that automated and in your case it does not matter if you enable it as you drop a video anyway.

• Use DroppedVideo instead of LoadedVideo or
  • Use DroppedVideo instead of nothing

Then maybe Iā€™m missing something, but I canā€™t get it to work in the case where script file and video file are not in the same folder and/or are not the same name. I drop the script and video onto HandyControl (tried both orders) but they video player simply doesnā€™t get started when I upload script to Handy. What want to be able to do is to do exaclty that - tell HandyControl to play exactly given video and exactly given script, with no automated detection of whether or not they match.

If thereā€™s a way of doing so right now, itā€™d be awesome to know how to do that.

My last post was just a suggestion how it could work. Maybe that was not clear enought :upside_down_face:
V0.9.1 cannot override the video. But the next version I am working on already can do it as described. You can even drop a different video during play and just continue as long as the video is longer than the current script time. Just wait for the next releaseā€¦

This is pretty awesome! I only used it for manual controls yet, but the gamepad approach is really neat. The only problem I encountered is that the player I used (have not yet tried MPC) reacted to the gamepad input as well :sweat_smile: Next time, Iā€™ll just use MPC.

I was wondering if there was a way to smooth out the Handyā€™s motions a bit - I think it would feel better if the strokes would easy in and out. I guess with the fast strokes, thatā€™s not technically possible, but maybe thereā€™s a way to subdivide slower strokes to make them feel a little smoother?

Also, a way to change the bottom stroke length on the fly would be great, but I guess that is not possible due to the firmware?

Sounds great, canā€™t wait!

I was wondering if there was a way to smooth out the Handyā€™s motions a bit.

This would mean to create new points in the script or using part of the rawAction. I have started something but I am not sure how well Handy will follow this. Sometimes scripts with too many points on a curve just feel weird and Handy is stuttering. This feature must be highly dynamic depending on the speed. Not an easy one.

a way to change the bottom stroke length on the fly

I have seen a discussion for the next firmware 3.0 somewhere with a Handy dev where they talked about setting the bottom stroke lenght with a long press on the buttons. I hope they also include an API command for that. I will ask the devs whats planned :slight_smile:

Feedback from Handy: Yes, you can set a stroke zone in the next api

1 Like

I have posted something at discord.
I can confirm this problem but have not found a solution yet.
If anyone with Win 8.1 x64 dont have this problem please give some feedback.

New handy owner here, very pleased with the program so far. I was wondering if it would be possible to add support for other video players like vlc, mpc-be or even gom player? Even if itā€™s not something you would plan to necessarily do, im a cs undergrad and would be interested in how to potentially implement that at all. Thanks for all you do.

I just had a quick look and it seems that VLC also supports control via http commands. The connection to MPC is done the same way. I might implement this someday.

1 Like

Thatā€™s one of the most forward thinking and human things Iā€™ve ever read on the entire internet. How many blogs/ softwares/ contributors/ communities have died out, without recourse or anybody even knowing what happened? Secession planning should become an internet standard.

I salute you Megamasha!

And Lucife, just reading through everything before downloadingā€¦ looking forward to trying this, looks great!

1 Like