Mandatory accounts

This is a great idea! It could be in a different new section, which is open to all users, even without an account. And every scripter can then choose a script, that they want to move there. We just need to put a video there, where we are sure, that no legal issues could be a problem - so no links to mega or other free downloads for the video.

3 Likes

Yeah, something simple like a video link, script link, creator name and a thumbnail maybe. Probably the thread would have to be closed to make it as straitghforward as it can be. Scripters would have to DM mods to add their script.

I am also thinking the rule that doesn’t allow redistribution of any scripts found here without creator’s consent would be great. I know there are several cases where people share scripts from here without anyone knowledge and it deffinitely takes the traffic out of the site, because there is no reason to join eroscripts if you can download big part of the content here without any effort. I know it won’t stop some people from doing it, but maybe it’s worth highlighting and will at least prevent a few such cases.

2 Likes

There are many good points here.

I’m not against opening up a bit more so that the site become more visible in search engines and so that people know more what they sign up for when they create an account. I personally tend to abandon sites with an account block to get any access. I just don’t like the idea of “pig in the poke”. I usually leave web sites that requires me to disable the ad blocker first even if I just found the page in a search result on google so maybe I’m overly cautious.

I do think it is a good idea to require an account for downloading scripts and maybe also software. It’s up to the software creators to decide on how they want to handle the software counter part. I can only speak as a script creator. If software creators have open source then their github pages etc. are available for those that don’t want to create an account anyway.

The idea of an open script and software section and closed counter parts sounds like a good middle ground. It’s like realsync free scripts. A little like try before you buy so to speak. This might be valid for discussion categories as well depending on the topic I guess. I know that some have raised concerns about having their discussions in the open for search engines to index.

6 Likes

Interesting to see how different everyone’s opinion on this topic is.

Here is mine:

• Open up everything that has content (Scripts).
  • Keeping requests and set feedback closed is fine, although I don’t quite see the point.

The whole “people should put up with creating an account” argument is weird to me to be honest, I absolutely HATE when a site forces me to create an account just to see or download something (Totally agree with what @sentinel wrote, so I’m not going to repeat everything again).

Just think of it that way:
If we started all this with paid software, if you needed to pay for ScriptPlayer / HandyControl / Initface, would you have bought it or still use one of those half-assed mobile apps that came with your device?
If all scripts were paywalled or required an account to download, would you have bothered to try it or would you still be using those horrendous feel-connect scripts?

I can only speak for myself, but I created ScriptPlayer and hundreds of scripts because I wasn’t happy with what the manufacturers provided - I guess everyone else creating software / content must be thinking (at least partially) the same - otherwise we wouldn’t have such a large community providing high quality content for free by now.

Edit:
Just to be clear: The Handy teams gets it - they had an open API basically right from the start and they very closely work with the community.

2 Likes

That is basically what made me register on RTS, to get to the download links :slight_smile: However, I get what you are saying. Account requirement or not is not a deal breaker for me. I will continue to create scripts regardless.

1 Like

Oh yeah, now i get what you are talking about. I thought you meant you wanted this site to be 100% open.

Yes, i also think “guests” should be able to see what is on this site, but downloads is for members only!

Edit: oh god, i thought you were the one that started this thread… But, i still agree with ya.

I agree, it doesn’t really matter if you can download the scripts with or without account. Creating account will always have privileges like commenting and requesting scripts.

Just wish some people weren’t dick about sharing not theirs content outside of eroscripts, but I guess there is not much to do about it.

1 Like

I don’t have a problem with creating a free account if I am realy interested in the content there. If I buy a toy then I also want to use its possibilities. Why should someone invest money in a toy and then ignore free content just because he has to create an account to get it? That makes no sense to me.

A free preview section with a few scripts is all we need to convince the very few people who are hesitating.
Keeping the bots out of our script sections should be enough.

The software is free and for my part I don’t need a fence infront of it. People should see whats possible with the toys if they just get the right app for it. HandyControl can also create scripts on the fly so new users can test the app even without downloading custom scripts.

5 Likes

On the other side if someone doesn’t plan on being involved in the community (commenting, liking) and just want to download scripts creating account won’t make him active either way. Free scripts are not much different from free software we have here, so it doesn’t really make sense to me. Out of curiosity why would bots be a problem if we have scripts section open, but not if we have software section open?

Just to be clear I’m ok with whatever decision will be made.

Many public forums run on the model of everything is public but files are hidden, this is great because it allows users to gauge if they would be interested in this forum, but they still need to sign up for content.
This is personally the model i would prefer, as im all in for trying before buying.

On the other hand, having a private forum does protect us from prying eyes.

2 Likes

I really like this idea. One script per scripter might be a little bit hard to organize (since eventually there will be hundreds if not thousands of scripters!), but I think having a ‘representative sample’ post that is linked to from the ‘welcome to EroScripts’ post might be a good way of letting people know what they’re missing by not being logged in :wink:

I wouldn’t have thought software creators would want their software limited to members only, especially since for the most part it’s available on GitHub. I know that applies to me, Lucifie and Liquid as well. I wonder what @gagax123 @raser1 @HeelsLover69 @Khrull @notSafeForDev think about the issue?

The script request category very often has people linking to mega download pages or illegal streaming sites to communicate what they would like scripted. So that category needs to be hidden from web scrapers.

The reason for keeping only the scripts area closed is just to protect against copyright holders auto-scraping download links and hitting us with DMCA takedowns or worse. Bots are a potential issue no matter what (although not one that I’m particularly worried about)

1 Like

FunExpander is free for anyone who wants it. No limitation to members required.

2 Likes

Scripts to attract non-logged in users

I’m not a fan of creating a place for non-logged in users to dl scripts if it requires a lot of community upkeep. I wonder if up front, we could collect a handful of scripts with their video links and include them in the Learn More link. Just keep it simple, low upkeep.

Downloading files should require an account

Unless I missed some comments, we seem to be fairly in agreement that downloads should require logging in.

Should the #scripts section require login to view?

pros

• encourage account creation
  • maybe reduce the chance of someone trying to automatically take down all linked content
  • maybe reduce the chance of someone trying to scrape scripts

cons

• less SEO
  • added friction to using the site, will make users bounce

Dunno how I feel about this one. If someone’s trying to automate some sort of action, they can create an account and do it anyway. We have some rate limiting, but that applies to all users.

Privacy concerns

Previously some people were concerned about privacy and doxxing. It sounds like there’s less of a concern about that now?

1 Like

I’m not opposed to it, but I don’t really see the need to post sample scripts for guests. If you spent all that money on an interactive toy, you bought it to play scripts. If you have a Handy, you can even try some scripts at handyfeeling with many even made by scripters from this site. Maybe the Handy would like to start crediting those scripters and even promoting this site. It would be a nice thing to do since it benefits each other, but of course that’s their decision.

I’m also generally cautious of anything public that shows the names of scripts and content because that might increase the chance of copyright takedowns. The opportunity to request scripts and being part of a very active scripting community means you’ll be able to find what you’re looking for.

Personal privacy, and the feeling of security, makes for an attractive and engaged community. This is especially important for potential members. My preference is for any public discussion on the site to be an absolute minimum of what’s necessary. I would also prefer those publicly made discussions be without usernames or maybe replaced with numbers. I know that someone can just create an account to see everything, but let’s at least make them do that so usernames that might also be used on other sites don’t show up in a google search or scraped by bots. Maybe that’s a pain in the ass to do, but the sense of security will appeal to potential members.

These ideas can always be implemented over time from most restrictive to less restrictive as needed. The numbers may eventually show that only a few of these things are needed for optimal growth.

Maybe this should be its own separate post, but we have a lot of great things we can promote on this site to potential members regardless of what we ultimately decide on the topic at hand.

It’s the size of our community, and also how active our community is that’s really our strength. Promoting these two aspects would help prevent decentralizing the community if and when competitor sites spring up. It is after all the community here that makes this site special.

It would be helpful for a guest to see on the guest page a public ongoing count of how many members there are, how many members have posted scripts, how many scripts there are, how many scripts on average are being posted per week or day. There might even be a good way to break the number of scripts down into useful categories. Maybe something like device, sex act, genre, length, decade (we need more 90’s scripts), pro/amateur, cock heros, pmvs, animated, gay/straight. Maybe this could even be a place for scripting interactive toys for women.

In promoting the supportive quality of the community, I think the idea of not just getting scripts but learning to make your own scripts would be very attractive to new members. It seems that most of the software creators have no problem with making their software public, but we could also put something in the mission statement that specifically states that by becoming a member you will have all the tools, tutorials, feedback, and support you need to create your first five minute script.

I’m completely spitballing these ideas but maybe they get a badge that shows they’re working on their first script. Maybe a new member gets linked to an active scripter that does something small like sends them a message saying hello and to feel free to talk to them about their first script (completely voluntary of course). Maybe we develop some sort of mentorship/apprenticeship program for those who want to be part of it. I know there’s already a feedback section (which is great!), but I’m thinking of something that might be a little more personal, one on one, engaging, and proactive in developing potential scripters. These kinds of things might even help to get engagement up above just that 3%.

TheHandy.com has a FAQ that contains the question about where to find scripts. It still points at RTS despite the fact that I sent feedback to them about changing it to ES in November. I got a response from Erik: “I’ll be sure to update the FAQ regarding the scripts.”, but that obviously never happened (I just checked).

Yep, they still haven’t changed it.

"Where can I find scripts for my Handy™?

There are available scripts via third party providers such as https://realtouchscripts.com/ and others. We are currently preparing a guide on handyfeeling.com where you can find new scripts and also a subreddit for the same purpose."

All their customers have to do to find scripts is just do a google search for “and others.”

I can’t tell if any of the current videos on handyfeeling.com are from EroScripts, but in the past there definitely were and they were not crediting the scripters if I remember correctly.

They’re a responsive and overall great company so it’s surprising they haven’t made this correction.

Seems this thread has taken a life of its own, glad to have opened a door for all this.

My take is content creators scripts should be shared with anyone who cares to download them. If I make something, I don’t require someone to track the people who download it. Requiring lurkers to create an account just to grab the scripts is unnecessarily needy. Just post a download counter as an easy feedback loop to get a pulse from those who aren’t interested in chatting.

If you have a funding need, post a community funding page.

If bots are a problem posting things then that’s a different topic, and can be managed (like every other site).

If people want to keep their content hidden, then let them hide it behind a free login-wall… if they think that helps conceal them. Any interested FED or whoever already has an account anyways.

/soapbox

edit: One last thought - My metric for a successful site is two-fold:
1: Lots of content being shared
2: Lots of content being downloaded

If you have these two things, you’ll have plenty of people who volunteer to chat about it.

I threw away my handy, so long and thanks for all the scripts.

1 Like

Thinking on it more, I’m personally in favor of totally opening up the site. I don’t even know if I would require users to create an account to download files.

If someone wants to do bot stuff, they’ll do it regardless of if accounts are required. Plus accounts can always be required again later. I think it’s just something we need to monitor over time.

While I’m a tiny bit concerned about increased dmcas, I’m not that concerned, but maybe I’m just being naive.

The only real concern I have left is privacy. But that’s something I’d defer to other people to discuss more.

1 Like

Just as a note. Handy created a discord sub channel a few days ago which points to EroScripts.

3 Likes