OpenFunscripter - another scripting tool - 1.1.9 release

That’s actually a really useful function. Great idea

I’m glad you found something that works for you. I assume you lost the ability to control the playback speed doing that?

This feature is already available here AppVeyor it’s called “Move to current position” and defaults to the END key.
There won’t be a release this week because I havn’t changed much and I’m going to be busy familiarizing myself with my new 3d printer. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Ooh,should be fun. I assume that means an OSR is on the horizon?

1 Like

yes. was a bit of an impulse purchase.
if you would have asked me a week ago, if would buy a 3d printer I would’ve said “Never!” :joy:

I blame @qdot’s video on the OSR2 and youtube recommending me 3d printing videos. :thinking:
As well as seeing @Hydra’s multi-axis scripts.

2 Likes

You’re welcome and/or I’m sorry. :3

Thanks for tagging me in here, 'cause OFS looks super neat! Hadn’t actually seen this yet. Will see about doing a video for my youtube channel on it. :smiley:

You know, I hadn’t actually checked.

… Yep, it’s gone. But since it’s not something I’d been inclined to use in the first place, I don’t really miss it.

Got a question about alternating mode. Is the way it affects “Action at (number)” something others find useful? Because it’s a bit inconvenient for me. When I’m using the numpad to handle the odd exception in an otherwise steady stream of alternating points, it’s a pain having to hit the key multiple times to get the position I meant.

Thanks! I started the project during the time JFS shortly vanished and people where sharing old JFS builds. I’m just a hobbyist C++ programer I never would’ve expected this project to be where it is now.
Right now I’m intentionally keeping a low profile after all the project is merely 2-3 months old and crashes/workflow changes are common. :thinking:

:flushed:

I don’t quite follow. When do you have to press the same key multiple times?

Welcome to a very addictive new hobby. I hope the results do not disappoint. :smiley:

BTW I have been poking around a bit with the new features for multi-track scripting. They look great! Now I just have to find a new video to really test it out.

1 Like

I have some more nontrivial additions in mind for multi-axis scripting that are going to easier to find motivation for once I actually have an OSR myself :smirk:

Well, say I’m in alternating mode, with a fixed range of 40 to 100, and I run into a point I want at 20 instead of 40. So I push numpad 2, and it puts a point at 40. So then I have to push numpad 2 again, to get the point at 20. With fixed range, the behavior is different, then it only sometimes seem to take two presses, but that’s maybe worse because it’s unpredictable. (Or not unpredictable, but it takes longer to think through the logic than to just hit the key again.)

It’s nothing I’m not used to from JFS, but it’s still a bit irksome and I don’t really understand why it’s set up that way.

I understand now. I’m going to have a closer look but not now since it’s already late for me.
All I can say it’s not deliberatly setup that way it’s just how things happen to be.

Some early notes for multi-axis functionality that sounds useful to me. Feel free to ignore any/all of these if you don’t like them.

• Allow for re-selecting none in the 3D simulator selection tabs. If a script loads into an axis but it is the wrong axis I can’t set ot back to “none”. I have to either reopen OFS or create blank track as a placeholder.

• A keybind to jump to the closest point in time on any of the open scripts, rather than just the one I am actively editing (so I don’t have to toggle between tracks to sync up points). Ctrl+up/down might be good for this?

• A keybind that places a point on all open scripts at once could be nice. Occasionally I want to do this to create synced points as a reference that I can quickly find again when I’m editing a different axis.

• I did notice that the active script is shown at the top so this is not super necessary, but a slightly more clear visual indicator of which axis I have selected could be nice. Either a highlighting of the selected tab on the 3D simulator, or text in a corner of the script timeline that states which axis it is.

• It would be kinda nice if all the scripts I previously had open would reopen when I open OFS back up rather than just the main one.

• I think the when the simulator is “twisted” (as in, the twist axis is off of 50), then this changes the direction the pitch axis moves in the simulator, which is not how the OSR responds. The direction of pitch and roll should be consistent regardless of what the twist value is.

Regardless of any of this, it is so nice to be able to see everything at once and much more easy to keep things in sync! Thanks once again for all of your work!

1 Like

I think that’s all low hanging fruit as in should be easy to add/change/fix.

I’m going layout some of my ideas in the hopes of eliminating/improving some of them beforhand.

• Adding a rotation widget to the 3d simulator and placing points on multiple axes based on that.
    So you would rotate the simulator into place where you want it and the points are already placed as well rotation widget
  • Similar to the one above there could also be bindings to add/subtract pitch, yaw which may be less annoying than rotating somthing with the mouse.
  • Recording pitch & yaw at the same time with an analog stick.

Any ideas for how to make the 3d simulator “easier to read” are also welcome.
What I mean by it not being easy to read is you can’t just from looking at it determine the pitch & yaw values. I feel like right now it’s good for visualizing the script but bad for scripting if that makes sense.

1 Like

A beat snap mode would make it much easier for people scripting PMVs and audio-based content since you don’t have to memorize how many frames are in a 4th beat, and instead automatically skips to the next beat.

Here is a mock-up I did that could work
OpenFunscripter_2020-11-25_07-19-09_edit
(yes I know it looks like something out of Stepmania)

2 Likes

Woah that’s pretty cool. Love the mockup. :eyes:

So “Next/Previous frame” would take you to the next/previous beat and you’d loose the ability to move a frame at a time in that mode?
And the next/previous beat gets determined based on the bpm, offset and the selection in the drop down menu?
I’m going to be honest beyond that I’m lost. I’m not a music person so this will probably take more than one iteration to be exactly as you want it.

I’ve added this to my todo list. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, all of those. I based it off tools used to make charts in Stepmania (now Etterna)

And the drop down is the beat snap. It allows you to snap to the next beat when pressing the “Next Frame button”. The amount of beats it skips is based of beat snap (higher = less beats skipped).

An example is that there are sixteen 16th beats in a measure (it’s in the name, 16th beats). Pressing the next frame in this mode would skip to the next 16th beat (which could be a 8th, 4th, half, or new measure)

This is one of these tools (ArrowVortex). The notes are colored based off the beat snap, snaps are based off BPM and sync, lines for 4th beats with numbers on new measures
(technically you could do this by only showing the snaps and highlighting 4th beats and full measures. instead of highlighting every beat which you could snap to)

After all you introduced a waveform, this seems to be the next step up
(a big one though)

edit: The BPM and sync offset should be saved to the file as well, no one likes it when they have to reconfigure every time they go to a new file.
OpenFunPlayer when?

Hey bud.

Just wanted to give you a heads up. Not sure if anyone is experiencing this but i noticed on the newest build on AppVoyeur. When scripting after a few minutes the video will all of sudden stop and jump back to start of the video. When I close the program and reopen, it goes back to where I was before being jumped back to the start. I tried doing different tasks to see if something I was doing was causing it.

Just a heads up and wanted to see if other people were experiencing this.

Also in the same vein, the picture freezes and as playback continues nothing changes on the video screen.

I can’t think of anything that possibly could be causing this it either has be also in the 1.1.0 release or what I’m hoping for, something is wrong with the video you’re using.

I once tried playing a broken video in OFS and lets just say it didn’t handle it gracefully. :pensive:

I’ve been using a build of 1.1.0 that I downloaded from AppVeyor four days ago and I have scripted for hours in that version. No issues with videos.

I don’t think it’s anything with the video. I was using a version yesterda I downloaded from 11/20 ending in “…e54c6e” and that worked fine.

I downloaded the newest build a few hours ago so I can take advantage of the new key you implemented and that’s the one where I was facing the issues. I’ll upload the message that appears in terminal and see if that helps.

@sentinel If you can try the newest build uploaded a few hours ago and see if you get the same problem.