Adding clarity to when you can share other people's scripts (eg. 'lost' scripts, edits)

Copy pasting the section that’s been updated. This is of course subject to change as we test this out.

Only upload your own scripts (with some exceptions)

Generally, do not upload scripts that you did not create. Link to existing posts instead.

Exceptions for free scripts:

1. You created minor an edit of a script. Share this within the same topic as the original. For example, adjusting timing to a different video source.
  2. Remixing/splicing a script and video. However, try to get permission from the scripters first if you can.
  3. Sharing lost scripts

Exception to the exceptions:
Do not share lost scripts from scripters who have asked their old free scripts to not be shared.

And then a section below to collect names. However, since this is a new list, we don’t have any names just yet.

5 Likes

What if i created an Edit of an Script. Like Filler or scripted more of it? Should i always ask for original Scripters permission to post it?

Exception: You created minor an edit of a script. Share this within the same topic as the original. For example, adjusting timing to a different video source.

Does this address your question? If not, what isn’t clear about it?

This Example is not clear to me.

I love to make Script Edits for this great community if I like the Video, Movie. Sometimes I adjust the Timing, add Filler or Script more of it.

I’d be okay with something like

For example, adjust timing, add filler, add missing parts.

1 Like

I understand why you would include “try to get permission from the scripters first if you can”.
But i think you should change it up a bit.
With your wording it kinda discourages users who edit scripts for themselves to upload them, and just change it for them and keep it. Cause i know i would not want to ask first, wait for a reply, upload when i got the reply. i would just want to upload when i have it finished.
I would suggest to make the rule:
Exceptions for free scripts:
You made a minor edit to a script, for example: adjusted timing, added filler, added missing parts.
Your Results must be shared within the same topic as the original.
It is not mandatory to get permission from OP first, but discourse is encouraged.

2 Likes

maybe this?

Exception: Creating your own derivative script, for example splicing existing scripts together for a new video. Give credit to the original scripter.

Does this mean a scripter loses all copyright to their script if they give them to the community for free?
It seems to me like basic politeness to ask the original author if they do not mind a modified copy of their work being shared.