Any water base lube as good as gun oil?

J-Lube…HANDS DOWN. You can’t beat it. Can get whatever consistency you want. One bottle will make you, yes, containers until you die. In the end, if you tally up cost, it is the best. I was and still am big on Passion (it froths up :smiley:, but J-Lube is the bee’s knees. Unless you don’t want a mess. It can get messy. And FUCKING EVERYWHERE. That’s my vote.

But now looking at the other responses…I must admit I haven’t tried EVERYTHING. So…There may be others out there more economical and more slick. I love J-Lube. So, yup.

I have been using Tenga hole lotion. Its expensive but some of the best i have used.

Discussed a lot of times. I recommend X-Lube as well. Afaik similar to J-Lube. If you plan to use toys like OSR, with the Lube enhancment, then X-Lube is your friend.

1 Like

Making your own lube is such a game-changer; both cost-wise and its great for edging so I believe the topic deserves more attention.

Here is a quick bulk-recipe for 4x 250ml/8oz bottles that works well for me:

• 8 Teaspoons of xanthan gum
  • 4 Teaspoons of J-lube (Recommended for slickness. If omitted add 1 or 2 extra teaspoons of
    xanthan)
  • 6 Tablespoons of vegetable glycerin
  • 900 ML / 30oz of hot water
  • 2 teaspoons of citric acid (Optional, to increase shelf life)

Thoroughly mix dry ingredients into the glycerin until dissolved. Slowly add the water while mixing and afterwards transfer your lube to containers. Let cool and transfer to fridge.

As for containers/storage I believe something like this is great. I recommend using this type of squeeze bottle when using a pump as you can slide the hose over the nozzle. Currently I am using a DIY lube pump with my SR6, based on a cheap peristaltic pump and an H-bridge.

I have yet to try X-lube, I’m curious how it compares to J-lube and how it is by itself. Be sure to experiment with the recipe until you’re happy with the consistency.

2 Likes

@Bounce from what I understand, J-Lube/X-Lube has a prepared shelf life (most common info I have seen ranges from a couple days to 1 month or more). How long does your mixture seem to last you before needing to dump it? I use GunOil H2O and 1 liter would last me an incredible long time so I imagine I would cut this recipe to 1/3 or 1/4.

I think a month in the fridge is about right. With the pump I like to put down a towel and go through 100ML/3oz+ a session :sweat_smile: I basically set it to automatically pulse a bit of lube every 10s (XTplayer feature) and its surprising how fast I go through a bottle. Definitely cut back the recipe if that is not your thing.

1 Like

Started using J Lube because of all the recommendations, and i got to say is one of the best lube i have ever used, and i have try so many.

Ive never tried the X and J lubes or gun oil, not noticed them for sale in the uk, thought they could well be here and ive just not seen them. My question is for you guys that have tried them. Have any of you used Liquid Silk? thats my go to, was just wondering how they compare.

I just ordered the X-Lube powder following yours suggestions, feel free to ask me what I think about it in a couples weeks.

EDIT: I received the X-Lube bottle and tried mixing one tea spoon with 200 ml of water. It’s working fine and till now it’s the best lube I tried with my Handy (using the original sleeve and the quickshot)

NEW EDIT: the day after I made the mix, the lube was even better and clearer! Thanks for the suggestion, I don’t think I will ever go back to sticky and expensives lubes.

same i never went back to others after slube

They dont sell x lube powder in the U.S?