Detail level of scripts, How much is too much?

When it comes to making scripts… how much detail is too much? how much is not enough
rounded
peak

I’ll use these pictures as an example. Both of them are more or less the same movement and timing at the top and bottom. Obviously, the one with more detail better matches the action on the screen and better replicates the natural slow down at the top of each thrust. It also happens to take much longer to create because of how much more precise it is.
Does the end user actually care about that level of detail and does the device firmware allow for that precision?

I won’t be able to buy a Handy to test my script until I get back Stateside. I still want to make scripts, but also efficiently.

2 Likes

Difficult topic. Everybody has their own style. Some will say you “Yes, it makes sense to make it as detailed as possible.” Some will say “Save your time, no need to be overly precise. It’s not noticeable anyway.”

I’m a little bit in between. My general rule of thumb is: The slower the movements are, the more I go into detail (if the movement needs to be detailed). The faster the movements are, it’s less likely the user will notice these detailed movements. I usually just script the slower movements very detailed. These are definitely noticeable, if you script them in more detail.

I can’t really give you an answer to that. I can only say it’s best to figure it out yourself, test it once you get your Handy and see if it’s worth it.

10 Likes

I generally lean towards no curves when I’m scripting. I’ve tried it before where I made it very curvy and I felt it over complicated things, and while testing I preferred the straight lines (personal preference). However, it’s not a hard rule for me the movement and speed of the movements in the scene are the biggest factor.

1 Like

I always preferred the second one on Handy but with the Syncbot either is fine. I never liked the acceleration and deceleration feeling with The Handy.

This is kind of what I was thinking. One thing that I am noticing while watching the simulator is that sometimes with larger sawtooth shaped movements the downstrokes become somewhat out of sync. I’m debating on starting to use spline smoothing to make that change less abrupt and save a little time.

I guess it may make sense to go through and do a pass through with less precision that way I can get done quicker. Then when I get a device go back and create more detailed scripts and see how the turn out.

I usually convert funscripts to e-stim (https://cfs6t08p.github.io/funstim/funstim.html). I feel a strong difference between simple triangle functions and the more accurate functions, where there is more time (less speed) at the tip and bottom.
If you are into math and python, I think you can cheat by making the simple triangle function as in your second image and then apply the feel of inertia using a script, e.g. by placing a half sine-function for each interval with an update rate of maybe max 10Hz.

Different tastes for different people, but I prefer more detail. I have The Handy and I can absolutely feel the difference of the level of detail in a script. I love when a stroke starts slow then accelerates mid stroke, or vice versa, rather than the same speed for the entire stroke.

1 Like

I learned a lot from my first script. Similar to @Slibowitz, slow scenes is great but fast scenes may not work so well. The reason is the handy may not be able to keep up with the movements or it can be quite jittery.

More accurate scripts can show nuances well, especialy in slower action it performs very well to smooth things. Here you will notice the change, but often doesnt need to feel instantly over the top and allows you to ramp it a bit (start at 70, scales to 150 and then back to 70 again). Its well above the minimum speed in this case so slight changes arent causing a stutter or instant quick change.

Higher often makes it feel smoother since a 350-400 is felt less than 200-250 (percentualy less changed).

Just avoid exceeding the speed limit of 400 units per second and in most cases the handy will play it smoothly as long as you dont spam nodes. If going slightly excessive (450 or 500) it might not play all nodes perfectly (it can clip movements), but it should still feel smooth (no random stops).

At the same time, if nearing the lowest possible, you can also create stutters here, adding more nodes makes it harder to stay above that minimum speed. And here those changes are noticed best since a 40->50 change is still +25%. This is where adding nodes is usualy worse.

For very fast action where 400 is reached often, avoid curving the movement though. A slower move then is better to be slow entirely to make the diffirence noticed better.

Also, for lazyness:

1 Like

I have a Handy and lowkey, I really like the extra detail of decelleration that you get from curved points, especially for blowjob videos. I feel like that small detail makes the script feel more synced and immersive, as i discovered when scripting my Tracer Blowjob Script. While scripting it, i noticed that the said difference is especially noticeable when there is a small pause at the top or bottom of the stroke. At first, I scripted the scene using only jagged tooth points, and when i tested it out, although the timing of strokes themselves were not “offset” from the video, there was this overall whiff of infedelity to the sensation on screen. When i watched the script back and added an extra point to account for the pause and tested it again, I could immediately tell that it was more true to the video.

TL;DR: adding a point or two to accentuate pauses or decellerations in a stroke will definitely does do more for the immersion and fidelity of the script when tested with a Handy.

Each point in your editor represents direction and speed the Handy moves. Second version of your script will feel much better, and it’s not about details, it’s about man’s penis.

You need to test your sctipts on your own shaft to understand what I mean. Second script will feel much better and smoother.

Best regards, have a nice day!

Then would call my any of my work too much

Mostly be IMAGINATAVE and not lazy
Find a process of scripting and take notes of others
Mine are

1. Start with simple in and out
  2. Improve the simple
  3. NO LAZINESS
  4. Then scripting audio match

But people have there taste if you have make one

[Maloxx] - AI Assistant
Maloxx - AI Assistant (TheChillPanda)

HHH Triple Ecchi 3 Subbed
HHH Triple Ecchi 3 Subbed (TheChillPanda)

Mayohiga no Onee-san The Animation - Episode 1
Mayohiga no Onee-san The Animation - Episode 1 (ThrChillPanda)

Rachel Starr - Tugjob
Rachel Starr -  Tugjob (TheChillPanda)

Succubus Prison ~House of Lewd Demons~ Nemea Scene 6
Succubus Prison ~House of Lewd Demons~ Nemea Scene 6 (TheChillPanda)

1 Like

This is probably the most literal meaning of “different strokes for different folks”
There does not seem to be an overwhelming consensus one way or the other. I’m mostly looking at VR, so immersion seems like it would be the main goal.
Hardware limitations also seem like a big factor to keep in mind as doing something that the device does not like can also break immersion.

Unfortunately, I still have months and months before I will be in a living situation before I can use a handy.

2 Likes

If I listened to the guidelines, and opinions of the people on this forum when it comes to the “limits” of scripting. I would have quit scripting a long time ago.

Scripting is something you need to trial and error feel out. Putting a limitation on your creativity stifles you from the start.

1 Like

This post might be relevant.

In your example I may use the shape below for best device compatibility.

I feel like this is a good example of understanding what your hardware is capable of.

I also self-made a VR PMV video if you’re interested

VR PMV - Doja Cat - Say So (TheChillPanda) Self-Made

Just speaking from experience. If your experience with a specific device differs, please share

(When talking about Bluetooth I’m speaking about BLE and its most common implementation, where commands are executed as they are received, without any predictions and caching. Bluetooth itself is a capable medium, it’s just sad that most implementations are bad.)

This script is compatible with all devices.

This script is widely compatible. On Bluetooth it won’t feel different.

This script is best with Wi-Fi and USB. On Bluetooth it may feel less smooth due to noticeable stutters.

And some notes:

• There is a diminishing return. A simple triangular wave already makes people cum. One middle points per stroke can make a significant difference and represent actions more accurately. Two makes it very detailed. The nuance brought by three and above is hardly noticeable, let alone the compatibility issues it may causes.

• Don’t go frame-to-frame to add points just to match the static frame. Only add them when you think it’ll make a difference, such as representing a drastic speed change performed by the actor.

• For fast actions > 380 unit/s, don’t add extra points. They are hardly noticeable and may mess with the device’s behavior. In fact, your device naturally decelerates at both end, so there’s no need to tell it to.

• Slow actions can use more intermediate points. However do mind the minimum speed limit of some devices.

• Note all of these are based on the assumption that you want to be efficient. If you want to hone a highly detailed script out of love and your device can handle it, nobody is stopping you!

4 Likes