DIY Lube recipes

Recently reworked my goto lube-recipe I shared earlier because of switching to X-lube (after running out of J-lube). I thought it would be good to share recipes in a central topic so people can find them easily and I am curious what other people are doing. The advantages of mixing your own are basically cost (25-30 euro’s for a couple of years worth) and control over the consistency.

Personally I find that X-lube by itself doesn’t do it for me, so I add some other ingredients to improve the consistency to my liking. You can omit the x-lube and just use (more) Xanthan, but mixing the two is definitely better.

Here is the recipe for 1 liter of lube. It is basically a mixture of x-lube and another popular recipe that is floating about, but tuned to my liking for for use with automatic strokers.

• 1.5g of X-lube
  • 6g Xanthan gum powder
  • 40g of vegetable glycerin
  • 950ml of warm water
  • 3 teaspoons of citric acid (Optional, to increase shelf life)

Fill a 1 liter bottle halfway with warm water
Thoroughly mix dry ingredients (x-lube, xanthan, citric acid) into the glycerin until smooth.
Poor glycering mixture into container and shake well.
Top off the bottle with warm water and continue shaking.
Let cool and transfer to fridge, shake occasionally.
Ready to use after 30 minutes, at its best after a couple of hours.
Keeps in the fridge for 1-2 months.

17 Likes

Where do I find “x-lube”? Not getting a result on amazon. Mind sharing the brand or more info on this product? Also, what is the citric acid for: preservative? If so, why must it be refrigerated? Thanksfor sharing your methods!

Seems it’s been removed from Amazon in the US for some reason. An alternative is something like J Lube: Amazon.com

Hope it helps.

This is it: https://xlube.com
Both refrigeration and citric acid are to increase shelf life. I store a large bottle in the fridge and transfer to smaller containers as needed. J-lube will work as well, but it does contain sugar, so a prepared batch might not stay fresh as long as the X-lube variant.

Do you use a blender for the Xanthan powder? Mine tends to stuck together into crumbs.

Update: Figured it out. Make sure to mix Xanthan into the glycerin first, then pour into the water. Shake immediately. A blender / mixing wand also does the job.

Xanthan does make the product rather cloudy. I’m a little concerned this can leave stains behind. May use more K-lube than Xanthan in my own recipe.

Whisking/blending X-Lube will break it apart and make it less effective. Stirring the dry ingredients into glycerin, and mixing the glycerin mixture with the water by shaking works just as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been wondering if there’s anything I could add to reduce the viscosity of the product… :thinking:
There are commercial lubes that’s almost like gels, doesn’t drip everywhere and also reduce the stimulation due to how thick they are.
…Agar agar? Kappa Carrageenan?

Hydroxyethyl Cellulose(food grade or pharma grade) 0.5%-2%

2 Likes

breaking-bad-walter-white-franzeta

3 Likes

In the spirit of experimentation I bought some carboxymethylcellulose. Will report back once I have tried it.

2 Likes

A few recipes: lubricants.txt (10.8 KB)

1 Like

Added Carboxymethylcellulose in place of xanthan. Product is transparent and clear, low viscosity. Very interesting texture and is close to what I had in mind. However it feels less slippery compared to using k-lube only. I’ll try adding less next time.

Update: Reduced the amount of carboxymethylcellulose and added more K-lube. Result was satisfying!

What does the x-lube help with?

I normally do something similar, just no x-lube. So wondering what it helps with?

My recipe:

- Water 400g
- K-Lube 5g
- Methylcellulose <1g

Update: This isn’t right. Still need adjustment.

1 Like

i go 1 part xanthan gum powder, 5 parts glycerin. Mix well first. This is store in fridge. Decant a small amount into squeeze bottle and add 5+ parts water…it then gels. Control the viscosity with water. The ratio of xanthan to glycerin is key. Cheap! Just be sure to wash toys very well as this stuff is food for bad mould and funks. I tried adding citric acid, but found that it made the gel ‘slump’ and go runny

1 Like