[solved] File Transfer Issues on Quest 3

Hi, I have a problem with my Quest 3, not related to eros scripts, but hopefully someone else here has encountered the same issue because it’s related to copying VR videos onto the device. Basically, with large files, the transfer is impossible. It starts transferring using SideQuest, but it stops after about 4GB or earlier on a 15GB file. After some research, I discovered many users have the same problem and have no idea how to solve it, and this has been an issue for many years!

This is a problem for viewing VR videos since I wanted to use The Handy with that. I was even considering subscribing to some website, but my internet connection is too slow for streaming VR videos, so I need to download them. But if I cannot transfer the download to the Quest, it’s a huge problem. Has anyone solved this problem?
Thx for your attention

Don’t know specifically but if it stops at around 4GB maybe it’s something related to FAT32 disks? (exfat - Getting around the FAT32 4 GB file size limit - Super User)

1 Like

I don’t know anything about how SideQuest transfers files but Android’s use of MTP for wired transfers has also always been total garbage. You could try sideloading something like localsend and trying that. Probably a coincidence it has anything to do with 4GB, I mean the Quest 2/3 certainly use Ext4 or F2FS.

Transferring videos in the first place is a problem you can solve. Get Stash (2D) or xbvr (VR). Run them on your PC and your Quest can stream the videos from your PC or NAS.

1 Like

Hi, sometimes it reach even 10gb but it stop always before completing the transfer unfortunately. I tested 3 cables. And wireless connection. Both (wired and wireless) only from the PC app called SideQuest. It’s a nightmare.
Willing to subscribe to a paid subscription for adult website and download tue videos, this problem is a big limitation. I cannot stream VR video with my connection.

I have found a solution for direct file transfer with a cable, and I’d like to share it:

1. Don’t use SideQuest.
  2. Disable the automatic AirLink connection in the Meta Quest settings.
  3. Connect the Meta Quest with a USB-C cable look inside and check the notification icon on the bar, which should look similar to this icon: :bell:.
  4. Click on the notification icon, and a list of notifications should appear. Click on the latest notification that says you plugged in the Quest with a cable.
  5. By clicking that notification, the Quest 3 will now be visible in the Windows File Explorer. Open it as you would a normal HDD, and copy-paste the files.