First Build (OSR6) - 3D Parts Question

Hey Folks,

I’m doing my first ever build with the OSR6 and it’s coming along better than I thought. I’ve got the power bus, servos, and arms all working correctly.

My newby question is regarding the slots for the bolt nuts in the 3D parts. I printed all the parts myself, and inserting the nuts into the slots has been almost impossible without mangling each one a little wider with a screwdriver.

Is this just an error with my prints or is there a method to inserting them smoothly?

Appreciate eveyrone’s insight. Thanks!

i used alot of elbow grease to get those screws in lol

I believe it. Getting the nuts in both frames was way harder than I expected.

exact reason I redesigned the oSR2 to use threaded inserts :slight_smile: Those nuts are so fucking annoying.

If you’re finding the nuts really hard to get in there, try heating them up in some hot water or with a blowdryer. Nothing too crazy, but they should be easier to push in there as the plastic will flex a bit out of the way.

yeah they can be that tough to insert. you can heat and press on them with the tip of a soldering iron to make it easier, but take care to not ruin your prints or have the nuts be misaligned

1 Like

The best way to get nuts into a print like that is to pull them in with a screw before you put the hardware they’re holding in place. So put a screw through the hole, start threading the nut, then when the slack is taken up, line the nut up to its correct orientation and tighten the screw. That will pull it into the hole as straight as can be. Then just remove the screw. It helps to use a longer screw to draw in all the nuts first, then position the servos and use the normal length one.

Beyond that, you could also modify the model to make the hex holes a bit larger.

I use threaded inserts for the lid, but there’s not enough room for the kind I use on the servo holes. Either way, I’d use nuts instead because I can use both a lock washer and lock nut to keep the servo screws from vibrating loose. I also do that for the through-hole on the servo horns, for the same reason. Sometimes the screw directly into the servo vibrates loose, but the second screw with lock washer and nut keep prevent the receiver arm from shifting away from the horn.

You can use the same trick to pull nuts into the VESA mounting holes as well, of course.

100% this, snug fit and no redesign / reprint required, just be a little gentle when finding the thread on the nut since there isn’t really any loose tolerance with this method.

I use one of these thin files. Widen the holes just a little and it becomes much easier to screw in.
525ImFwt0

1 Like

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the tips and advice. I ended up getting a cheap soldering iron and pressing them in with that. Worked like a charm.

1 Like