G90ak Edition OSR2+ Feedback Thread

• Pre-sales experience - I already owned a OSR2+ so I knew what I was expecting. All information is there. Found some Youtube videos too in the documentation which was a big help getting to know the device better.
  • Sales experience - Quick and easy. Just give your address so your shipping costs can get calculated. Then you get a PayPal link and in my case, it was send around a day later. It took 6 days to arrive.
  • Prep/setup experience - The provided documentation was very clear and contained some things I didnā€™t know, even though I already own an OSR2+.
  • Packaging/Shipping experience - The package came in undamaged and was very neatly padded. 10/10
  • Product quality - This is what Iā€™m most impressed by. The build quality is insanely good! The improvements are all fantastic and itā€™s put together really well. My first prebuild had tons of loose screws and one of the arms was mounted upside down lol. Even when I fixed it I always had a feeling it wasnā€™t aligned properly. I canā€™t stress enough how insanely good the build quality is!
  • Use experience - After using it around 3 times I noticed the screw that holds the left arm to the fleshlight holder was coming loose. I didnā€™t check if they were all good when I got it so it could be because of transportation or just bad luck. I simply needed to retighten it and it hasnā€™t gotten loose since. In fact I regularly check them all now to be safe and not one has come loose.
  • Exclusive scripts - I only tried a couple of scripts for the CGI videos. They were good, but some of them had a pretty long stroke length which didnā€™t really match with the video imo. Iā€™m a real sucker for realism though and quite picky so itā€™s probably fine for 99% of people. Of course you can always limit the stroke length and or speed yourself.
  • Anything else - Itā€™s probably not needed by 90% of people, but maybe you could add the zero values of the servos you set? Would be handy if you want to upgrade the firmware because from what I understand the values are not read when you access the firmware page. I could be wrong though.
1 Like
  • Pre-sales experience

• Responsive, answered my questions and was willing to build me an OSR2 faster than usual, but I wasnā€™t exactly in a rush, but I did appreciate it
  • Sales experience

• Clear and simple transaction. He provided updates and tracking
  • Prep/setup experience

• The guide @g90ak provides is well thought out with screenshots, videos and links. I did have to change something that wasnā€™t in the guide, but Iā€™ll get to that later.
  • Packaging/Shipping experience

• Packaging was good, solid, and discreet. Shipped quickly (US)
  • Product quality:

• As a DIY OSR2 owner for 3 years, this is the best build quality Iā€™ve seen. Since I donā€™t own a 3D printer, before I would have 3D print shops make the parts (and replacement parts) and ship them for me to build. Sometimes, those parts werenā€™t made in the best way, or there were errors

• My favorite thing are the threaded screw holes. OSR2 owners know that you have to re-tighten the bolts to the servos somewhat often, but when it was ā€œmaintenance dayā€, I knew it was going to be a pain because Iā€™d knew I had to play surgeon trying to line up the nuts and bolts while holding an Allen wrench and servo at the same time. Then the nut falls out and gets lost in the cable mess.
      Donā€™t have to deal with that anymore! I already had take apart g90ā€™s build so I could swap the servos to the ones I prefer, and it was easy compared to the original OSR2.
      Also, the bolts that fasten the servo horn to each arm, itā€™s cool how the holes are recessed. With the provided screws, they sit flush with the armā€™s surface when tightened. If it ever starts to get lose, I already tell by just feeling if its not flush or not.

• Speaking of taking it apart, I like how clean and free the internals are. You just plug and play with the sisterboard attached. No more modifying wires or adding jumper wires to do switch bypass.

• And speaking of less wires, adding heat sinks to the servos are a great idea. Although, on normal servos in the past, I did have a few times when they would overheat and stop working, so I added the fan lid, but that added a wire and sometimes the fan blade would touch a wire causing noise. With heat sinks, you donā€™t have to worry about that. And removing/replacing them is easy enough.

• The layered colors are very cool. I had no idea you could do that until I saw these builds. I just assumed all 3D prints had to be a single color.
      And the other difference is the ESP32 board that it uses. My DIY build used a Romeo board, which I stuck with because I heard ESP32 was more complicated to use. Maybe I intimidated myself, but regardless, itā€™s not a problem with his attached sisterboard

• Use experience:

• I ordered with standard servos but I already had servos of my own that I wanted to swap with so I used them. Iā€™m used to OSR2 so the main difference using g90ā€™s build is the smoothness and the main board. My DIY build never had ball bearings so it always had some wiggle to it. I didnā€™t think this would make too much of a difference but it does. This is based on about one week of use.

• Because I immediately swapped the servos, I did have to calibrate/tune them. I did run into a hurdle trying to do this because it was via WiFi. For my prior OSR2, I was used to tuning it by opening Arduino software and modifying the firmware Tcode. My WiFi was spotty for me to connect and tune them through the GUI. In hindsight, I think the way I mount my OSR2 on a sheet of metal was maybe reducing the signal by a lot. I eventually got it, but then I noticed it was broadcasting a WiFi access point on all the time, which can be solved by joining it to your own secure WiFi network, but because the signal was spotty for me and only allowed 2.4 GHz, I just reflashed the board with the normal ESP32 firmware and modified the Zeros from there. This was a one-time setup thing and may be unique to just my setup, but I thought Iā€™d mention it. A section on how to tune the servos without WiFi could be helpful, but then again, might not be worth it since I may be the only one who experienced this :sweat_smile:

• Exclusive scripts

• I personally only use VR scripts now, but having access to exclusive scripts is definitely appreciated
  • Anything else!

• Iā€™ve been supporting the OSR2 build and Patreon for years and think it was a great improvement from the commercial strokers. However, over time there were common annoyances that came up. And g90ak took note of these annoyances and either fixed or minimized all of them. @g90akā€™s build is basically the ā€œQuality of lifeā€ version of the OSR2+, along with some cool sets of paint. If you have the funds, then I suggest that you secure one from him. :+1:

• Also, I agree with him that OSR2+ is probably the best feature version of OSR2. Iā€™ve tried some other add-ons before (twist and suck), and although it does work, I think these add-ons have diminishing returns of enjoyment. I ultimately removed those add-ons and returned to a normal OSR2+.

1 Like