How to format your posts

Introduction

This guide is for people who want to make their posts look more clear and easier to read. The idea here is to show different types of formatting that you can use in your posts and replies on eroscripts.

The eroscripts forum is using Markdown markup language. This guide will only touch some of the avaliable formatting option. To find more about formatting posts go to Basic Syntax | Markdown Guide and Extended Syntax | Markdown Guide

Text formatting

You can use few different types of text formatting. You can access bold and italic text type formats using tool ribbon that shows up during post editing:

When you select a part of text that you want to format one using the tool ribbon it will add * (for italic text) or ** (for bold text) as prefix and suffix to your selected text. The tags will not be visible in the final post but you can see it in the edit window. Here are a few examples of how it works:

• *This is italic text*
    This is italic text

• **This is bold text**
    This is bold text

• ***This is bold italic text***
    This is bold italic text

There are more format types that you can use but you have to add tags manually to your text.

If you want to make your text underlined add [u] at the beginning and [/u] at the end of the text you want to change:

• [u]This is underlined text[/u]
    This is underlined text

If you want to make your text strikethrough add [s] at the beginning and [/s] at the end of the text you want to change:

• [s]This is strikethrough text[/s]
    This is strikethrough text

You can mix all of those formatting options to make your text look however you like:

• [s][u]**This is bold underline strikethrough text**[/u][/s]
    This is bold underline strikethrough text

Make sure that you don’t remove tags by accident otherwise your text won’t format in the intended way.

Text size - 1st method

If you want to make your text bigger and also use it as the header in table of contents this method is for you.

You can tag your text as a headers by simply adding #, ## or ### before the beginning of the line with the text you want to make bigger. You can increase the number of # to add extra levels of heading resulting in smaller text each time:

• # This will result in the really big text

• ## This will result in the big text

• ### This will result in the medium sized text

• #### This will result in normal sized text

• ##### This will result in small sized text

• ###### This will result in really small sized text

You can additionally format the headers but you need to leave # at the beginning of the line for example:

• # [u]**This is underlined bold header**[/u]

To build the table of contents out of used headers use the dropdown menu from the ribbon tool:

This will add <div data-theme-toc="true"> </div> to your post. If you want to remove table of contents simply remove that part from your topic.

Text size - 2nd method

The other way to change your text size is to add tags manually to your text. This will result in making your text smaller or bigger and will not affect the table of contents:

• <big>This text is big</big>
    This text is big

• <small>This text is small</small>
    This text is small

You can also use <sub> tag to make your text small inside of small text that is small (inception vibes):

<sub>This text is small
<sub>This text is smaller than small
<sub>This text is smaller than smaller than small</sub></sub></sub>

This text is small
This text is smaller than small
This text is smaller than smaller than small

When using this method you can add formatting to the text:

• **[u]<big>This text is bold, big and underlined</big>[/u]**
    This text is bold, big and underlined

• *<sub>This text is small and italic </sub>*
    This text is small and italic

You can also use those tags to change the text size in the same line:

• <big>This text is big,</big> this text is normal <small>and this text is small.</small>
    This text is big, this text is normal and this text is small.

Text aligning

If you want to align your text to the left, center or right side of the post you have to manually add tag <div align="left">, <div align="center"> or <div align="right"> closed by </div> tag.

Here is an example of aligning text using all three methods listed above:
<div align="left">This text is aligned to the left side of the post</div>
<div align="center">This text is aligned to the center of the post</div>
<div align="right">This text is aligned to the right side of the post</div>

This text is aligned to the left side of the post
This text is aligned to the center of the post
This text is aligned to the right side of the post

Adding number of downloads to uploaded scripts

When you upload the script you should see something similar to this:

• [NoFaceGirl - Teen Babe Gets Creampie and keeps Riding Reverse Cowgirl.funscript|attachment](upload://tdZdLv06p1UxMq60D2WuKJpkG1q.funscript) (35.5 KB)

Initially you won’t see the number of downloads for your script. If you want to enable download count simply remove the |attachment part from the string of text:

• [NoFaceGirl - Teen Babe Gets Creampie and keeps Riding Reverse Cowgirl.funscript](upload://tdZdLv06p1UxMq60D2WuKJpkG1q.funscript) (35.5 KB)

You can check if you have done it correctly by looking at the script link in your preview:

It’s worth noting that the downloads will start to count from the point when you remove the |attachment part. When you edit your post to make the number visible it won’t show past downloads.

Adding emoji to the topic title

If you want to add emoji to the title choose emoji that you want to add from the tool ribbon:

When you have your emoji for example this one :medal_sports: just copy the emoji code, in this case :medal_sports: and paste it to the title like this:

• :medal_sports: Contest: Pick a number

The emoji will show up after creation of the topic.

10 Likes

Realy nice. I always missed the underline :smiley:
I am curious why this isn’t available in the toolbar.

This is helpful, i wish I had this when I first creating posts.

I actually had to research how to make text larger when i was first creating my posts. Wish it was more intuitive.

I think it’s standard toolbar used in discourse.

I googled a little when creating this post and there is a plugin that adds a lot of format functions to the toolbar. Not sure how hard it would be to implement but it would be really helpful - @hugecat?

3 Likes

I didn’t know discourse allows inline html. That makes things a lot easier.

@Husky

Killer post my dude.

Thank you for your contributions.

They do not go unnoticed.

1 Like

Thanks for adding the Adding number of downloads to uploaded scripts section. It SEEMS like nobody who tried it out ran into issues since I last posted it. :crossed_fingers:

And as for adding the formatting toolbar plugin, it wouldn’t be hard to do so, but I’m not a fan of adding plugins unless it’s going to add a lot of value. Every plugin added, especially if it’s not an official plugin, adds a possible point of failure. cc @defucilis

It looks like the biggest things you gain are underlining and alignment. So it doesn’t seem like a huge value add.

@hugecat A well formated post just looks better and you can highlight what you want to display. Without formats, every text looks boring. Having more formating tools will help people who care about their posts. If you release something that took hours to create then you just want to present it the best way possible.

It’s the little things that make big difference :wink:

1 Like

I think it’s worth giving it a shot - worst case scenario is it introduces some issues and we can turn it off :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve installed it, let me know how it goes

3 Likes

The color button does not opening a color palette. But you can enter the color number manually.
[color=#]Text[/color] Some text with the default color
[color=#A84118]Text[/color] Some text with a color number

Pick a color with this tool

1 Like

Thanks for making this! Now I can make my dumb comments unhelpful comments look even better.

2 Likes

I did some digging into the discourse markdown and it’s a near-complete implementation of the RFC standard.

You can include description tags to easily format a table of contents:

<dl>
    <h1><dt>Title</dt></h1>
    <dd>Content</dd>
    <h2>Sub-category</h2>
    <dd>Content</dd>
    <h3>Sub-Sub-category</h3>
    <dd>Content</dd>
</dl>

Title

Content

Sub-category