OSR2 servos aren't in sync, possible to adjust?

As title says, the OSR2 servos aren’t in perfect sync, i.e. when there’s movement one of them starts just a fraction of a second before the other does so the movement isn’t perfect up down but it gets a bit of a tilt. Is there a way to adjust this?

Are they perfectly aligned when they’re neutral? I know you can change settings to get them to line up perfectly but if they’re lined up but one starts before the other, it might be a more complicated issue.

They’re lined up. One just starts moving slightly before the other one.

Afraid I don’t know, are they the exact same spec servos? Are they heavily used servos, one could be jamming up a bit.

They’re the same model servo, I forget the name, but one of the pricier options recommended in the OSR build guide. They’ve been doing this since I put it together.

Can you easily reproduce that with simple movement commands in the serial monitor of the Arduino app?

If so, I’d say the lagging servo is just defective, and you should replace it.

I don’t expect it to be either of these things, but maybe check if

• the servos (and arms) are both attached firmly so there’s no room for the servo to wiggle back and forth
  • the power supply is sufficient. I REALLY don’t think it’s going to be this, since I would expect only intermittent problems in that case. But mine would occasionally get out of sync (tilting by up to 10 or so degrees in extreme cases), sometimes even seemingly forget its position and move so far back it started smacking the table, which in the end turned out to be insufficient power.

I don’t think there’s a way to deal with a difference in servo reaction time in the software.

Swap the servos from side to side. (Like remove the cables and hook them up on the other pins) If the problem stays with the arm, it’s your board or your power rail to the servos. If the problem stays with the servo the servo is bunk.

If the board is the issue I would just reflash and double check it. You also might be able to move to a different pin and change the firmware. If you have an esp32 don’t be afraid to just pitch it and use a new one, last time I bought them they were 5 for $25.

If you are using the old Romeo build I would highly suggest making a power rail for your 5v servos, that’s a fair bit of amperage to draw through the board, and could be your issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.