OWL3D have you guys tried this?

its a program that lets you convert any 2D video or photo to 3D, ive tried the free version on some crappy videos off my phone and even though its obviously not the best video to test on its still 3D, and the photos look great too, im just wondering if you guys have tried this? any thoughts or good settings reccomendations?

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been using it and making 3D conversions with it for the last month or so. You can find them on this site.

It works GREAT, by the way.

I used a bit and its pretty rad.

Iā€™ve also been keeping an eye on it since the developer said 2D to VR180 is on the roadmap and Iā€™m very curious how thatā€™s gonna look.

1 Like

Isnt VR180 side by side? Or top bottom? Because you can do that now :thinking:

I wish. VR180 or VR360 vastly different than the depth 3D that Owl3D currently does.

yeah i see what you mean now lol so this is a feature thats coming? how on earth will they manage that one :thinking:

1 Like

Tried it on some of the rendered clips and it looks mostly really good with 3d glasses in HereSphere.

But it needs a lot of time to render the new clips. :frowning:

On my RTX3060 (so nothing fancy) itā€™s actually surprisingly fast and works well, but I have issues with their purchase/subscription model: You only find out itā€™s mere trial version after you install the app, the pricing is available only there and you should pay monthly fee (starting at $10) to use your own hardware. FullHD (limitation of the trial) is pretty much unwatchable in high resolution headsets.
Even though the effect is stunning I donā€™t think itā€™s anything revolutionary, because I guess it just uses some (most likely free and open source) depth map AI model, then some other existing method to apply the geometry to the video. All wrapped in not very feature rich UI.

Another concern is security and privacy. No credit given to anyone but themselves (I seriously doubt they havenā€™t used a single piece of software with license that would require being credited), their Terms of Use are not very convincing, thereā€™s no info whether they collect any data from you (since you have to be online to have your subscription verified I suppose).

Not to sound too negative, to put it together in stable working way is an achievement for sure, I just donā€™t like the way they do the business and for personal use seems to me not worth it.

There is a program called iw3 that works pretty much exactly the same as owl3D but it is open source and free.

8 Likes

@kenmaxnejp Thank you very much, thatā€™s amazing! :star_struck: Might work on the same principle, but even feature-wise iw3 is much better! So configurable, thereā€™s even yadif deinterlacing built in, the only thing Iā€™m missing is output codec and/or encoder choice. The small price to pay is getting the same python packages again and again for various AI (read ML) apps - python with itā€™s dependency hell. :neutral_face: But after downloading over 8gigs in tiny files it works on the first try.

1 Like

You are welcome. And yes you are right about handling python packages is a disaster, in that case may be you should try venv for Python 3, it allows you to manage separate package installations for different projects. It creates a ā€œvirtualā€ isolated Python installation.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s what I usually do, but thatā€™s the same ā€˜issueā€™ as 1click installer of iw3. It seems not to have to create venv, but it forces using local package installation.
In no way thatā€™s the developers fault, itā€™s just inconvenient design of Python. When the packages didnā€™t have gigabytes it wasnā€™t much of an issue, but now, having few AI apps, there are literally millions of duplicate files used. End of off-topic rant, the iw3 app is really great! :smiley:

i was on the verge of buying owl3d and iw3 is better than the trial of owl3d and its dope. thank you for recommending it. ive been using it the last couple days on everything from my script collection, to my favorite movies and anime just to get more use out of my vr headset and its made a big difference! thank you!