Show your computer setup

I’d probably go for a 3070/ti or 3080. I don’t really know much about the AMD graphic cards, so I can only refer to the Nvidia cards. But with a 3070/ti / 3080 you have a good enough card for VR and of course 4k videos on a 65" TV as well.

1 Like

If you’re currently on a laptop and you’ll need to fit in a whole PC ( + potentially keyboard & mouse) into that budget, I’d shop around various second hand places/craigslist/marketplace/ebay between black friday and until after christmas as I expect you’ll be able to get some fantastic deals.

The specs would really depend on what you want to do with it outside of just video playback though. If 500-1000 is your total budget i’d try looking for something like a ryzen 5600X or + 3070ti.

If you don’t plan to do any encoding or production work yourself AMD cards are currently better bang for the buck and you might be able to get better raw performance, no idea how they perform in VR though

I don’t know how the GPU prices are in your area, I see second hand 3070ti cards in my local area for $430 and no tax needed.

damn, 430$ for a used 3070ti ? the used price in belgium is around double that money :o

The most important thing to note on the VR side of things is that only Nvidia GTX/RTX1000 series and later support 8K60 video decoding. All AMD equivalents do not support it so you will be limited to 5k on amd cards. On the AMD side only the RX7000 series soon to be released will support 8k60 playback.

There was a sale at the beginning of the year from Dell on the G15 laptop (I currently use this for viewing videos on my Oculus Quest 2 with my modified Keon setup)

Its specs are:
i5-11400
RTX 3050ti

I upgraded the storage with a 1TB Sabrent Rocket nvme m.2
and upgraded the ram to 16GB of RAM.

It has a high refresh 1080p screen if you aren’t using a VR headset, and it has a near full size keyboard with full numpad. (they removed the space between the direction keys, etc to condense it to fit the available real estate)

I can run most every game I own at or higher than the refresh rate of the built in screen. It’s pretty decent for 1080 on the go gaming.

*EDIT

I use this most often, because my RTX 3080 system is in a main room and I rarely get alone time in that room because of kids and fiancee…

1080ti is a little old but its still a solid card i have been able to watch up to 8k vr videos on my pc with it no problem so im sure 4k on a tv would be fine

the 1080TI Turbo 11GB is a better solution and more reliable :wink: i recently added this in place of my RTX 2060 6GB

well im glad i made the right choice cause at the time 2080 was out but had problems so i said nah im good and spent the extra on the i9 9900k. and with all the ai upsclaing and video encoding ive been doing it feels good man

A bit of a video editing monster for its time but the specs of mine are:

Case: Phanteks 719
AMD 5950x (just recently upgraded from a 3900x)
Asus Crosshair VIII Hero
G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 64GB (4 x 16GB)
3090 FE on a Bykski waterblock
Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB (for Windows)
WD Black S850X 2TB (for games)
HDD’s: (7) 8TB, 8TB, 10TB, 14TB, 14TB, 16TB (18TB coming in the mail to replace the two 8TB)
Seasonic Focus Gold 850 Plus

Whole system is custom loop watercooled with a dual radiator setup (Black Nemesis 480GTS & 360GTS) with 6 Noctua F12 Fans, Bykski waterblock for the 3090 FE (the EK one was too expensive), ZMT softline tubing for way easier maintenance and complimented the dark look I was going for. Bunch of EK-Torque fittings, Swiftech M​aelstrom D​5 V2 Reser​voir Pump ​Combo with​ Black Tri​m - 300mm, running with Distilled water mixed with Mayhems biocide+

2 Likes

Work laptop - HP Elitebook 735 G6 (Ryzen 5, 16 GB, 256 NVMe)
Notebook for scripts and Internet - Lenovo IdeaPad 3 (AMD Athlon SIlver 3050e, 14 GB, 120 SSD). But it has 7-9 hours of battery life and I do not mind to crash it :wink:
Server cluster for personal projects and experiments - 3 x HPE Prodesk G3 (i7-6700, 64 GB, 120 SSD 2.5" OS, 240 GB NVMe Ceph cache and fast VMs, 2 x 6 TB 3.5" HDD), Proxmox virtualization system, total Ceph storage of about 18 TB on 10G network.
And all sorts of junk - like TVs, monitors, docking stations, routers etc.