Site Performance Lately?

Site has been rough for me the last week or so, but now is working much better today. Just reporting in case some changes were made, because they are working on my end!

upgraded the server. Let’s see how long this’ll last before we start getting too much traffic again :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Much appreciated! As many have said before, set up way to contribute if the costs become too high.

i will keep procrastinating it as long as my wallet allows it lolololol

Thank you so much. Let us know how we can help!

You shouldn’t have to bear the financial burden all by yourself! Let us help!

I will 100% do that if I need to do another server upgrade because then the costs start getting unreasonable. But I will stubbornly continue to pay until then lol :money_with_wings:

5 Likes

Thanks, I can really tell the difference right away. Running like a raped ape now!

2 Likes

Dude. It is night and day in terms of speed. SO MUCH EASIER and more enjoyable to browse. Thank you thank you thank you.

1 Like

It sound like we soon have to force a gofundme on the man. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You are amazing.

I’ve been on the site regularly during the entire day (morning to midnight in Europe) and there hasn’t been any slowdowns at all. It works great so far!

Site seems very slow lately. Especially during the evening times the site is very slow and the usual “site is under extrem load” message shows up.

Anybody else experiences this or is this an issue on my end?

If this is caused by the enabled thumbnails for the threads and / or the chat, I’d suggest turning it off. As nice as these features are, a stable site performance is the most important thing to have in my opinion.

2 Likes

No, it’s definitely not your problem, I don’t know if it’s related to thumbnails, or just more users, but almost every evening the site starts to slow down

I’ve noticed the site is slower in the late morning/early afternoon EST. It comes and goes and I just try to be patient.

I have always assumed it was new users trying to download everything they can, as fast as they can. If this is the case a 5 or 10 script per day limit for the first year of an account might be a good solution. Five scripts per day seems small, but it’s still over 1800 scripts per year and I think that’s enough.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know I am not the only one noticing and experiencing it at least.

I am not a server expert, but from what I am thinking is, that the file size of the scripts are so small, it really shouldn’t cause any problems. The scripts are only ~ 20 kb to ~ 200 kb, which is extremely low.

I guess you’re right, the limit wouldn’t directly solve the problem.

My thinking was that if someone hits their limit, they’d leave the site for the day. But someone could hit their limit and continue to use the site to bookmark pages of scripts they plan to download in the future.

People would only spam new accounts, limiting never solves the problem.

So I don’t actually know if the high load is coming from high request spam or just typical usage. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just typical usage since Discourse isn’t the most performant tbh.

If it’s consistently bad, I’ll consider upgrading the server. But costs are already pretty high personal expenses, and one more upgrade will definitely be the last one I can pay out of pocket without additional donations.

1 Like

There are donation links at the bottom of each page (BTC, ETH and XMR) in case you want to help with the server cost and I guess a possible server upgrade. Unfortunately it’s only crypto so many won’t be able to support even if they would like to, but that are the options that hugecat can provide for atm.