Site Performance Lately?

Performance on the site recently has been very poor. Lots of timeouts, messages that Search is deactivated temporarily due to load on the site. Yesterday I even got a message for about 30 minutes that all customization was disabled and the site was presented as a non-logged-in user due to “extreme load” on the site.

Is the team running the site aware?
Did ES blow up in popularity in the last month or two and the hosting isn’t keeping up?
Is it “just” a DDoS?
Does ES need a Patreon (ES is creating a searchable script archive community) to help offset hosting costs?

What’s the status, gladys?

7 Likes

I was going to ask the same but also if you guys are accepting donations to make get the site on beefier hosting?

3 Likes

we’re vaguely aware of performance issues, but haven’t identified exactly where the bottle neck is. We’re also considering what upgrades we would need to resolve them and what the costs will be. But nothing quite figured out yet.

11 Likes

SAME! I love this place, definitely would be willing to donate to ensure smoother operation.

6 Likes

Performance has only been an real issue on and off the last two weeks (or maybe three). Before that I rarely encountered any serious performance issues with the site except that one time where you wrote you did some kind of background job with the database or something.

As it’s now it sometimes gets so bad that you get error 500 (internal server error). The site usually comes back within a couple of minutes though. Search seems to be affected at most peak hours (I guess that is afternoons/evenings in Europe and US), along with long load times in general. Scripts tend to sometimes fail to execute properly when you interact with a page, e.g. display bookmarks etc. during these periods of time.

Have you seen any major increase in traffic/visitors in the site statistics the last few weeks?

1 Like

For me the initial load is the worst, after it has loaded most things cache seems to take over and it is bearable again but the performance has degraded for sure.

tweaked some settings, hopefully the site will be more performant again.
Feel free to continue posting if things are still slow

1 Like

Seems faster. Thank you for the tweaks!

This. Will definently donate if the option is availible!

will consider it if we need the money for upgrades!
ideally we don’t need to pay more money though lol

Performance has started to deteriorate again. Tonight around 9pm CET I got server 500 error on and off during half an hour or so. The site had problems marking new threads and posts as read (i.e. not clearing new and unread indicators) for several hours. I don’t know if this is caused by e.g. database performance causing a need for periodical index optimization or if it is the sheer load caused by the amount of visitors and peak hours. However, it’s now around 11pm and the site behaves ok again so maybe the peak is over.

2 Likes

hmmm I definitely felt it too. Looking at site resource usage, it’s possibly something to do with too much disk read, but not sure what the root cause is right now

1 Like

I can confirm to the bad site performance. Especially in the last 2 days late afternoon / evening (5pm - 9pm CET). In the morning it’s really fast but in the evening entering the site and then checking / clicking on “unread” and “new” took >10 secs each.

Can confirm, the site lately is almost unusable for me. 500, 503 and 403 errors everytime I try to do something other than looking at the front page.

going to try tweaking some stuff today, will see if it improves things

See my notes in the linked reply. If you have some feedback on performance, I guess put that feedback in the above topic.

I just want to give feedback about the site performance.
Right now the site is loading slow, up to 10 seconds and more. The Search function is on my side not usable. Loading forever and than I get this message: “Site is under extreme load, search is disabled, try again later”. I get this behaviour for the two month or so.
It’s not my connection. Websites other than Eroscripts loaded without problems so far.

5 Likes

It was fine after the latest update until I’d say recently. It’s been slow. Especially this past Sunday.

4 Likes

Can be a bit sluggish at peak hours lately.

2 Likes

I’m also having problems with the search function not functioning; please try again later. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.