SSR1 Stroker Device Video

Would be nice, i liked the sr series but they break down too quickly tbh, the design is very dependant on decent material use especially the sides. My bought version already broke the sides from pushback after 3 weeks the edges are too thin but they have to be in order to fit the arm’s with the twist and other addon’s. Aswell as the main fit for the sleeve seems to get printed with tight fittings sometimes clamping the device stuck wich makes it more likely to damage the exterior when removing a sleeve as that also happend before to me. Breaking the twist module in the process. Other than that its perfect but i think the stroker design is alot more flexible and probably wont break down unless you smash it with a hammer. Hope to see some addon modules for handy sleeves and other sleeves then i think it will probably rival the SR series and i will deff buy one when that happens. As i found the handy being just too slow and lacking pushback on the low end of the device otherwise it would have been a perfect device just a shame its motor isnt strong enough. Hope this series gets abit more fleshed out.

Yea. The noise factor was why I got a keon to start. It was supposed to be the quietest of all of the options. My house has paper thin walls so noise is an issue lol. I would be willing to spend a good chunk on some good simi silent servos if it got the noise down to or below the keons current noise levels. Are there any servors out there that would be capable of that?

I don’t know but I highly doubt it. I do know the ssr-1 is supposed to be quiter than a handy though so that would be very nice. Getting less noise is the main reason for it’s existence.

Is there an option on using different motor than GM4108H?

Now that the SSR1 has been out for a while, does anyone have experience with both it and the Handy? I’m curious how they compare purely in terms of feel and movement. It looks like the SSR1 costs well under $100 to build if you have a 3D printer, and the most expensive component (the motor) could be re-used elsewhere.

While the OSR2/SR6 definitely seem great, there’s very little multi-axis stuff that I’m interested in.

2 Likes

I want to build one but I am waiting for tempest to release the wifi version and after that I want to mod it to be powered from a battery. It is pretty cheap to build in comparison to other strokers but it is hard to get the same motor so I will try to use different one.

2 Likes

What is SSR1 max speed and is there a slowest speed at all?

There was an old livestream where they measured the default max speed in a demo, if you have access to the discord it’ll be on there somewhere.
As a long time user of a self built SSR1, the slowest is imperceptibly slow, fastest with standard settings is marginally faster than the Handy. If you’re crazy you can over-volt it or change the pulley size in the code to make it dangerously fast. But don’t do that.
It uses a motor that drones use for camera panning so slow fine movements work as flawlessly as a quick pan.

1 Like

Thats awesome unrestricted scripting then. Yeah I am a Patreon now and parts are also coming. There is one thing I really dislike is the printed parts are STL and not also provided as STEP files. It’s not a commercial product, at least not yet as I hear, so why not let the community help the design. STLs are unitless meshes unsuitable for editing for just any 3D software. You can still make your own parts but starting from scratch prototyping to find sizes is just stupid just because there is no editable files provided.

I don’t know about all that stuff, I’m of a skill level where I’m lucky I didn’t cook the motor just assembling the thing. There are community people who make revisions and are very good at remixing/modifying/adding onto stuff without step files, maybe they might collaborate? I’m not an active patron anymore so this is from a foggy memory, but there is a channel for stuff that is still behind the time limited paywall, I think its called hardware-remixes or something like that.

1 Like

So the SSR1 sounds very interesting to me and I’ve been considering it for a while now. However, I’m wondering how seamless you can get it to work with Heresphere using wifi. Does anyone know how close you can get to my current experience?

I use a quest 3 and stream videos over the Heresphere API from my computer (similar to XBVR) and mostly using the Quest 3 Heresphere app. This works flawlessly with the handy and doesn’t require any additional steps once configured. Also it gives me the ability to toggle between stroke range presets using the motion controller which I use constantly.

Some additional details: My desktop is always on and it’s fine to have a program run in the background. Also, I’m a software engineer so I don’t mind filling in some blanks if needed.

2 Likes

Same but better as faster switching between movies no uploading, no connection problems (upload failed). HS can connect to device over Multifunplayer.

Thanks, I did know about multi fun player btw, however I never actually used it. So I was wondering more about thing like: will it just automatically detect when Heresphere is started up on my quest or do you have to manually press a connect button (in other words will it just work or does it need extra manual steps)? Also the biggest thing for me is easily switching the script range with a mappable button. In heresphere you can set limits for the bottom and upper range (0 to 100) and then switch between these presets by pressing a button. This is super useful and convenient. I mean how do you SSRS/OSR guys do that now? Maybe it’s just something the Heresphere dev will have to implement at some point though. I read it’s on the backlog.

Yes MFP looks for the device every couple of seconds. I start and stop it with HS with macros. You just have to start the timeserver in HS user settings page on the right lower side. That’s all. Literally everything is faster. You can’t see the heat map, not that horrible, but that will come and HS wants to add T-code. Wonder if MFP is still necessary then.

Thanks, and yeah, native Heresphere support would be great.

Do a search he said it on this site.