Stroke colours question

hey, i saw in another question thread it was mentioned that ‘bright red meant the launch couldnt play it’ that thread is now locked so i couldnt reply with this question so apologies for another question thread from me,

but does that mean that if i want to watch my scripts specifically on the launch i will have to make sure that no red strokes appear in the script?

does it mean that this part of my script needs fixing?

2 Likes

The absolute maximum speed on the Launch is 400 mm/s.

Going above 350 mm/s will trigger a bug in the Launch, but most people won’t notice until you point it out to them.

My suggestion is to not worry about speed at all. Making accurate scripts is more important so you can also enjoy it when you upgrade your toy later on. Also, players like ScriptPlayer can automatically fix these issues for you with the ‘min command delay’ option :wink:

3 Likes

sorry to ask, since I am new to scripting and wanted soon to try it out, isnt speed related to accuracy or am I missing something? if the speed doesnt match the movements, dont i loose accuracy?

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I say not to worry if some strokes speeds are above 350-400 mm/s. Just scripting the strokes as you see them will give you the most accurate results. :slight_smile:

Scripters (including me) used to make their scripts according to the Launch’s limits. Most of the time this is done by decreasing stroke depth to stay below 400 mm/s. Thinking back it’s kind of silly, because the Launch is no longer being sold and many older scripts are deliberately inaccurate because of it. :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m trying to slow down the script strokes because if it’s too fast it gives a grinding sound that I don’t get from purchased scripts. I can’t tell if i’m just picking too fast of videos to script, or if i’m legit missing something and have to limit my 90/0 stroke length to something like 70/10 for the fast parts…

1 Like

Usually its a combination of limiting the stroke range and increasing the duration of the stroke by starting it a frame earlier and ending it a frame later where possible (of course this gets really tricky with constant fast strokes).

4 Likes

This is less of a concern as the Launch is getting phased out (those colors correspond to the Launch’s limits - which are not the same as Handy’s or OSR’s). Even if you’re finding yourself in the red you may be OK - keep an eye on the stroke interval time. I don’t have the exact technical know-how that some of these folks do, but general rule of thumb that I’ve found is 166 ms is about the fastest interval for a full stroke. Anything less I’d shorten the stroke length a bit. But 133 ms for a 3/4 or 1/2 stroke generally works.

4 Likes

thanks for all the replies guys, some helpfull stuff, i tested my script last night and some of it was good but alot felt like the strokes were not good enough, so i need to do a lot of tinkering,

like i also tried the anna belle peaks scene that @Husky5383 made and it was fantastic, every stroke felt perfect and in line with the action i was seeing, my script i tested felt very basic, which i guess is likely to be the case as a beginner but its kinda soul destroying lol

3 Likes

I really is a shame, the expander tool doesn’t help every time…

2 Likes

what do we do when the strokes in the video are so close that it causes red lines? like when the penetration is really fast, right now im going from 0 to 60 but its starting to give me red lines because the down stroke is too soon after the up strokes? right now im solving it by going maybe 1 frame over where i normally would set it, it looks ok when running the simulator but would this feel slightly too slow in the launch/handy?

1 Like

Many paid scripts have red lines, even when the Launch was the most popular device. The players usually compensate to some extent by delaying a command a bit if they come to close. The device firmware might also take actions for it to work better, e.g. cutting a long stroke short if a new command comes in. When I end up in a situation like yours @Ricster89 I just test it using my Handy to see how it goes.

You have green and yellow lines in the mix so I believe that the players will deal with it without a problem. It is worse when every line become red because then it is hard for SW/firmware to find a way to compensate for it. But again, the line colors are for the Launch. The Handy and OSR have better performance than the Launch.

2 Likes

so a red line is not so bad if its connected to a yellow or green line? sometimes the red line comes if i set the stroke high, like 80, but if i bring it down to 60 the red turns yellow, but then i have to hope the stroke isnt wrong because of it, obviously this stuff will get answerd when i test it, but im not at testing phase just yet, and im making this with the launch in mind, i dont have a handy or anything else YET :slight_smile: appreciate your reply :+1:t2:

1 Like

@Ricster89 I’m on a bit deep water regarding the exact behavior of the Launch, but I think it works as I describe here.

There are at least two cases to deal with:

1. One case is if the points are too close (i.e. too short time in between). The Launch, and other devices, can’t process commands that come to close to each other.
  2. The other case is when the points aren’t too close in time (i.e. not the case above), but the movement distance is so long that the speed needed to reach the second point on time is higher than the Launch can move.

The first case should be dealt with by ScriptPlayer by delaying the next command. ScriptPlayer has a setting for it, Min Command Delay. If the following command comes to early it will be delayed by ScriptPlayer according to this setting. If the next line is green then it probably won’t interfere too much with the next stroke.

The second case might end up with a stroke that is shorter than expected because the Launch has not reached the next position when the next command comes. It could also be that the next command is not executed until the Launch has reached the expected position. I’m unsure how it works here. Maybe someone who is more experienced with scripting knows. Worth mentioning is that ScriptPlayer and The Handy can adjust the max stroke length on the device. That also affects this case.

2 Likes

thank you very much for your reply, it really helps me understand things better, i think testing will be the main way to truly find out if its ok, could i ask at what stage during scripting you would normally test your script, do you test when scripting is complete or do you test after certain sections of the scene?

1 Like

If Scriptplayer thinks a stroke is too fast, it will reduce the speed. This can sometimes produce peculiar behavior if you have multiple long quick strokes in a row.

In real-world conditions for live action videos, too-fast strokes seems to be far more common, but as noted by @sentinel, what’s too fast varies by device settings. Also, since there’s no color after red, you’ve got to use your own judgement when it comes to “just turned red, probably okay” vs. “way too freaking fast, I may need to reconsider this”. (The latter of which might still be just fine on faster devices like the Handy or OSR2.)

2 Likes

ok guys, ive had my soul destroyed by a section of a script scene im working on, its a rapid handjob/blowjob mix, but the problem is for like 1 minute straight its very fast, which leaves my script looking like this…

this is not going to work on the launch is it :pensive:

this is the first of the ending 3 minutes, after this section its slow again until the end, but this 1 minute i feel will destroy its immersion, has anybody had a section like this?

i am going to test the script tonight, to see exactly what happens when i get there, but im expecting really bad performance, i really should have checked the ending before i started scripting it

1 Like

Don’t worry, script what you see to be as close to the video as it gets. Liquids ScriptPlayer automatically correct the script on the fly. If you are using SLR, you can first correct the script manually with this little tool:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.