The (official) Handy desk mount experience

Question how in your opinion guys is better to use it mounted on tot or from the bottom

an update after using the mounting kit for over a month… The Handy crew needs, NEEDS to figure out a way to keep the hinge screw assembly from coming apart too far so that all the ball bearings under the plastic wing nut/ tightening screw fall out.

Have had it happen to me 5 times so far, and I really havent done more than try and loosen the mounting arm from its stored collapsed position. Down to four ball bearings because they are so hard to find once they fall out. Usually it just starts with two falling out, but then you have to take the hinge apart completely to get the ones that fell out back in… and then more fall out…

2 Likes

I bought a magic arm which looks almost exactly like the one from Handy on Amazon. I’ve used it for around 2 months every day without any issue.

1 Like

Can you share which macro rail and ball head you use for this setup?

1 Like

Sure!

This is the rail, obviously just using half of it. I’m sure you can save money finding a 2-way macro rail though! All camera stuff tends to use the same 1/4 screws/holes.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SJ7UWU

And this is the ball head. Again, you can probably save money here, but this one served me well with really expensive camera gear, so I trusted it to hold things together.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGJH5U6

2 Likes

The same thing happened to me after months of use. I managed to fix it by reattaching the ball joint with a bench vise and a rubber hammer. It seems that tightening and perhaps the stress caused by use can break parts inside junction and it may lock the bottom arm permanently. The cogwheel and metal parts inside the junction were damaged which locked base arm but after reattaching arm works even with damaged parts for now.

The design is very simple, it only needs metal cylinders inside of both arms, and two metal parts connected by screw inside the junction, when tightening two metal parts inside the junction will push metal cylinders against the ball joint and arm will lock. Can’t recommend it unless you will never reposition it and even then there’s risk that it will break.

1 Like

Be careful of the metal shaving off the thread of the screw when tightening it, making it unusable. It happened a second time to me. I’m not even gonna ask for a replacement because it will break again. Does anyone know if I can use the one below? Or if anyone has any other suggestion please let me know. Thank you!

https://www.amazon.nl/-/en/UTEBIT-Digital-Cameras-Threaded-Rotatable/dp/B077R2KHFX/ref=pd_bxgy_img_d_sccl_2/259-8219357-5567940?pd_rd_w=YvaNg&content-id=amzn1.sym.6415097d-50a3-4f00-aaa2-f81d42baf2cb&pf_rd_p=6415097d-50a3-4f00-aaa2-f81d42baf2cb&pf_rd_r=VMDNDNG8EXRVF7SR080Q&pd_rd_wg=29k1I&pd_rd_r=6e0b98bb-23c6-4f52-b6f3-3b27de50d2e8&pd_rd_i=B077R2KHFX&psc=1

Be careful of the metal shaving off the thread of the screw when tightening it, making it unusable. It happened a second time to me.

Actually happened to me earlier this week, the threaded hole getting shaved off by the screw. I noticed it was a little skewed (and the rubber pad thing rubbed on the clamp and eventually fell off) but I kept using it and earlier this week it shaved off just enough to lose all strenght. Happened during a VR session. I was not a happy camper.

I bought some cheap clamp off of Amazon to replace it. The arm’s still doing good so far but seeing posts in this thread kind of worries me.

I’ve had my hands free bundle for roughly 4 months now.

The cup’s holding up but I can feel the tightening nut resisting more when I try to tighten or even untighten it. Wouldn,t be surprised it ended up giving out soon.

BUT considering the hands free setup is a MUST when using the handy (I swear, having to use it not hands free when it broke on me felt so wrong) I’m willing to put up with this and replace pieces when needed.

If I have to get a generic arm and a metal ring off of Amazon in the near future, I’ll do it. It’s just a bit disappointing the craftsmanship seems to be this shoddy.

1 Like

I agree with hands free being a must. My cup broke a few months ago, but I fixed it by just taping it to the Handy. It hasn’t budged since lol.

Apparently they are going to release a sturdier cup in the next few months, at least they said that a few months ago. Will be interesting to see if that one breaks.

1 Like

So I’ve had the desk mount for a little over a month now. The first one cracked on the opposite side of the wingnut which was promptly replaced by the handy crew (thank you!). So my issue now is more with the armature and the height of things. The bi-fold arm with two pivots is hard to make work at my desk and when I do get things set up the handy can still pivot around it’s long axis while in use so the only thing keeping it from not staying on my dick, is, well, my dick in the sleeve. I haven’t had it rotate away yet, but I also don’t use my handy at high speeds which is where I feel like it would do so. And apparently my desk to chair height ratio is just problematic I guess for the mount. The very convoluted positioning I have to put the arm in just to get the handy in an acceptable position takes a lot of adjustment and re-adjustment. The arm is definitely more designed for a taller desk or a much shorter chair to get it to work well. If the arms were shorter or MUCH longer then it wouldn’t be an issue. As it stands though it takes a solid 10 minutes of maneuvering to get everything in place with the desk mount. My ideal solution here I guess would be a fully flexible spring arm where it’s flexible in all dimensions for ease of adjustment or a much shorter set of x/y movable arms. I’ll probably look at vices from home depot or lowes to see if I can find one that clamps and hugs my desk so that way I can set it up quicker and have much greater stability overall.

The desk mount is nice, but there’s probably better homebrew solutions for mounting the handy to a desk that also cost much less.

Hey! This is exactly what I’ve been looking for a “shorter” arm desk mount. thank you for posting this!

Hey, I hope you see this! How do you have the handy mounted directly to that ball head? I don’t see a ring adapter and I don’t see a handy mount. Did you drill into the end of the handy to get it onto that camera mount?

mine just broke after 3 weeks :frowning:

1 Like

i’ve ordered my Handy Handsfree Desktop mount on
Fri, 15 Sept 2023, and im using it 4-5 times a week on average. Its still as strong as when it came lol

Is mine build different? :muscle:

Yes! When The Handy first released and people were coming up with different mounting solutions, one of them was to open it up and add a 1/4" bolt to the top so that everything would be connected directly to the device. I have a lot of random camera connectors from kits like this: https://a.co/d/diTJpjf

Here is post/comment by a Handy team member on how to take the device apart: https://www.reddit.com/r/theHandy/comments/rv0lrk/comment/hr39cil

They really should release an updated model which has built-in threads for mounting and ditch the whole cup idea.

Ahh that makes perfect sense now. I was incredibly confused and wondered if maybe the handy came with that mounting system early on! Brilliant solution though by the way. I picked up the shortened mount from amazon and I’m hoping it’ll work better for the height I’m at than the current magic arm solution which is really hard to utilize. If my current official handy mount breaks again I’m just going to go with the camera ring mounting system instead which should obviously suffer a lot less breakage.

Also, thanks for the guide on taking it apart! that’ll make it easier to lubricate over just smearing some lube on the shaft with a q-tip!

1 Like

This is a problem with a single pivot point of design - the hands³ can help ‘over - cum’ this…

Interesting, where can I buy these?

Well its not straightforward in that

1. You need to 3d print the hands³ of your choice and the v2 clip-on sleeve holder is recommended too. You can print it yourself if you have a 3d printer or from a 3d printing service like craftcloud- petg pla+ via fdm infill anywhere from 15% to 50%+ should be fine, pa12 nylon by sls or mjf can be ideal but cost a bit more.

2. You need to buy from amazon or ebay the 50mm wide tactical security duty belts with molle pouches and the 4x plush car seat beat covers. You can also get a battery pack and a 100mm syringe with a tube to act as a lube tube. Both power cable and lube tube can be sheathed in /threaded through the car seat belt covers for a neat convenient hold - power cable goes to handy, lube to goes to topside of cock behind the hands³ print to wet your dick as needed.