The (official) Handy desk mount experience

Sure thing, see #37.

1 Like

I use basically the same setup with my desk mount-- with the exception that I don’t need a lot of variation in height so I use a smaller magic arm. 2 years of steady use and still solid AF.
Here’s the Amazon US links:

Runshuangyu Metal Tripod Collar Mount Ring 1/4", for Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG Macro HSM - Ring Diameter (71mm)

CAMVATE Camera Clamp Mount for DSLR Camera Led Video Light and Binoculars Holder Mount - 1122

4 Likes

for some reason i can’t link .jpeg etc in this post so i put it on some host.

hope this explains it, and how i use to tighten / adjust my handsfree setup

2 Likes

Thx I ordered the same ring which will arrive tomorrow.

For anyone wondering my handsfree cup isn’t staying on anymore because the double sided tape pieces on the inside are not sticky (enough) anymore. Don’t buy it.

1 Like

Note: I mount the ring on the Handy all the way at the top. The bottom of the ring sits right at the top edge of the slot where the carriage rides. That leaves about 4mm of clearance between the ring and the top edge of the carriage at its highest stroke position.
I added a couple layers of black carpet tape on the Handy just under where the right mounts. I can’t say that it did anything other than give me some piece of mind that I wasn’t going to crack the Handy case when I tightened the ring excessively. I used carpet tape because I had it on-hand and the glue residue cleans up very easy.

2 Likes

I used this and i must say that im greatfull for that tool

1 Like

Arm Mount works like a charm. There were no instructions about how it works… which I found to be a shame. If you take it slow and dont force it you can figure out that tightening the elbow makes everything else tighten down too.

1 Like

Oh wow, I didn’t know they have an official handsfree bundle now. I use my Handy with a stanley vice just fine but I went ahead and ordered the bundle as well.

1 Like

Consider yourself lucky if it doesn’t break after one use. I had to replace it twice.

That … doesn’t sound very promising. Oh well, if it turns out to suck I will just go back to my vice setup.

1 Like

I’ve just ordered mine aswell :x

1 Like

I ordered mine yesterday

1 Like

Thx! Do I just screw the arm part in one the smaller holes of the ring? The middle large one seems to big.

The ring I have only had one 1/4" threaded hole in the plate attached to it. That matched my magicarm’s 1/4" boltend.
It looks like the updated version of the ring has a larger 3/8" hole in the center and the 1/4" holes surround it. I would use 1/4" holes either above or below the center hole.

1 Like

They also make adapter screws from 3/8 to 1/4 if they end up needing the position of the larger holes. They are both standard sizes in the photography/videography gear scene.

I also recommend some loctite for any pieces that people would like to stay together or are worried might loosen during use.

1 Like

I just tried it but it doesn’t fit? The ring is too large…

You’ll need a silicone bottle boot to add girth to the Handy, or some furniture felt strip inside the ring as padding.

2 Likes

My bad, bro. It’s been on the Handy for so long, that I forgot that I used Velcro tape on the inside of the ring. I used the fabric/pile side of the tape. Its something I already hand on-hand but its basically the same rationale as the felt strip Falafel mentioned.

1 Like

Thx but I just taped the handsfree cup to the Handy yesterday and it seems to hold pretty well lol.

Btw apparently they gonna start using a new material for the cup around March or April next year.

The bundle arrived today (pretty fast delivery!) and I gave it a spin for roughly 45 minutes. The desk mount offers some nice options in how to set it up (height, angle), more so than my vice setup. There is some slight shaking of the arm (and as a result of the Handy) during use but that is pretty much unavoidable with this kind of thing I think. So the vice wins out on stability but it’s also not an issue with the Handy mount either. I will say that the top cap (the piece you put on top of your Handy) started unscrewing towards the end of the session when I went full speed for a while. I do think that it happened because I didn’t properly fixated the cap to the arm out of fear of breaking something. I properly fixated it afterwards and it seemed fine.

So overall my first impression is pretty positive. Can’t say anything about durability after only using it one time though.

3 Likes