This might help you if you have WiFi problems with the Oculus Quest 2

Hello all,

For some time now, I’ve been having more and more problems with disconnections from WiFi on my Quest 2. The problem is noticeable in DeoVR during classic streaming and also when playing videos via a local media server. The observed behavior is similar to what you would expect with a bad internet connection: Every 10 to 20 seconds the video playback stops, loads and then continues.

It took me a lot of time to find the cause of this and I thought possibly I might help someone with this information and my solution.

Here’s the problem:
I have a router that provides the WLAN access point on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band. Normally, each device automatically selects the appropriate channel for communication and stays on it. Technically, this does not really make a big difference: The 5 GHz band offers higher bandwidth compared to the 2.4 GHz band, but also has a lower signal range.

For reasons I don’t understand, an Oculus Quest 2 has been constantly switching between the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band, resulting in the behavior described above. Perhaps this was related to improper spacing between the router and headset, neighbors overusing the band, or something completely different. In any case, I was able to fix the problem; here’s how:

Look for an option called “Band Steering” in your router’s settings and disable it. This ensures that your WLAN signal is only offered on the 2.4 GHz band or only on the 5 GHz band. For me, this was already enough to solve the connection problems.

You might even have the option to activate the WLAN access via two different SSIDs. In this case, your router will offer two access points to your network, each using only one of the two bands. Typically, the new access point will be named like the 2.4GHz one, but with a “5G” postfix.

In the settings of my headset, I then removed the old network and added the 5 GHz access point. Now everything works fine and 8K can be streamed without any problem.

I hope I could help someone with this post :smiley:

2 Likes

Also quest 2 in 2.4 wifi is just impossible to use. Don’t know why oculus device are that slow in 2.4

This is exactly why I always recommend separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5ghz. The only things I connect to 2.4 are IOT devices that are not capable of 5ghz.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.