Chat has no purpose IMHO

I just wanted to say that I don’t see any use for the chat in this kind of forum. I’ve realized that I don’t even bother reading it. I find this style of chat rather annoying from a usability point of view, just like I’m not very fond of discord or twitch chats. Too many talks about different things in the same channel with little to no structure. In this case, just like Discord, people respond to messages that were sent hours ago. IMHO a chat only works when you are interacting with a small group of people that are online here and now, not with people that are currently offline. Most messages in our chat have hours in between and only 2 or 3 messages at best are within a couple of minutes of each other.

Sure, if it doesn’t add any load to the server it isn’t very intruding. I guess I have to live with “new messages” icon that never goes away. However, if it does consume noticeable resources on the server, those resources are better spend on the actual forum functionality.

1 Like

yeah totally fair, that’s why I wanted to test it out. I believe you are also able to turn off chat in your settings too.

Also note that this is currently only for trust level 2 and above. If we let in more users, that’s like a 20x user increase, so probably more activity.

I don’t see the point of it either, but I forgot it was even there until I read this.

I find this style of chat rather annoying from a usability point of view, just like I’m not very fond of discord or twitch chats.

On the flip side, I’m actually very active on Discord and Twitch so I don’t mind the chat.

That said I’m not sure the subject matter of this forum necessitates a chat room.

The chat was a nice idea but for the subject matter of this community people are less likely to hang around for long periods of time in the chat room. I’m assuming most of us come on here looking for updates, new scripts or to ask a question and then leave after doing what we had to do.

If there are questions, the forum posts work well because they don’t require instant answers and if anyone else has similar questions or issues they can find them through the search function.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Didn’t know that. It’s off now :slight_smile:

Ohh! Have we got a chat forum…!?

Seems to me people are getting use out of the chat asking those oddball questions that may not be worthy of a full thread post.

3 Likes