DIY Handy Hands Free ideas?

Hi Shielded, thanks - so gut wise, i suggest we all try to lose the belly and keep it off for better health.

With the hands³ you could extend the belt if you are like 40" plus but under that theres plenty of belt space. So adjusting the belt to your size is one thing but you can also adjust to angle with one of the hands³ range prints or soon there will be another revised version with better all in one angular support.

Yeh the hands³ stuff has been going for years and years as possible by me but hopefully its getting better and better with each revision etc.

Thanks again for the question. Please do be weary with the use in the controls away orientation - Perhaps atleast use an inverted clip on adjustable sleeve holder like the Osprey that gives more depth to go lower and eliminates the danger of the pinch point the handy would otherwise have. If you do this, you should also adjust the handy stroke range to be perfect for you with this new added depth.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

One more solution thats helped another handy owner was to print the hands³ mini - its in the Christmas/New year gift pack.

It’s a cute mini version that uses 2 25mm (1") benri straps and padding (like the padding strap covers for backpacks) instead of the 50mm (2") tactical belts and car seat belt padding.

The hold of the handy remains the same albeit a little less as secure wobble-wise from fat below but you can tighten down more.

This can help in that the muffin top is less of an obstacle.

1 Like

Here to check in, the hands free stuff from Abdulis is actually just the best. Nothing can beat it. I couldn’t imagine using a desk mount again.

1 Like

Thanks Abdulis! Appreciate your reply and thought on this - looking at the other adaptations, they do look like they could work. I’m for sure curious of the all-in-one solution - my guess is that there is a pivot point of some kind that gets secured? I have an okay hands free setup, but certainly see the draw to this design.

Seems you may the a great person to ask this too. I’d like to get a 3d printer, I love to tinker - which would be a great starting option that will scale as I learn more? I’d like to spend less than $300-400 USD, but if there is a great product that makes sense, I’m open to it. Piggybacking off that, how about your preferred filament, I’ve seen you mention many types for various use cases in discord, what would you say is your all-around go-to option?

Thanks a bunch.

You are welcome,

Good thinking but no pivot point as they can fail. It will be simply raising either the front or the back to tilt incline or declined for the user as they wish with simple clip ins to secure as kinda illustrated in the handy discord.

As to 3d printing, you cannot go wrong with a Bambu Labs 3d printer that suits your budget, like a Bambu labs A1 or A1 mini, with all the extras like ams for multi colour prints and convenience like using pva support filament that dissolves in water leaving no marks on your prints when releases from the print.

However, if you save now for 3 months, I’m sure you can get maybe their latest newer printer that will have multi tool heads for faster prints - one for mass filling and one for detailing like sculpting but adding on than chipping away - This may not happen and is only a rumour by the way. But for sure a Christmas and New Year model is coming so may be worth waiting for. You could get an A1 mini for now with ams I guess then later spring for better etc though, it should be enough at least for handy needs.

Filament wise, I only really use and recommend PETG.

Thanks for asking :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for the hands free mount, I don’t have a printer but went ahead and ordered a print done to give this a try. I wanted to ask that I saw mentioned routing power supplies and looked around but didn’t see any info about a portable power supply. Is there something you can get to power the handy from a pack or is it just still plugged into the wall and routed around?

I also wanted to check on if there were recommendations for straps to get with it, or any tactical 2 inch strap with velcro should do the job? I haven’t purchased anything like that before so wanted to make sure I was getting all the stuff needed. Regardless thank you again for all the hard work with the mount and design and putting it up for everyone!

1 Like

Thanks!

Belt wise, tactical velcro 2" 50mm duty belts are generic and available generally worldwide as its very common for security personnel like security, police, military etc.

These can be further wrapped by car seat belt padding to give more comfort around hips and waist.

Battery pack wise Talentcell 12v 3a 36w is a great choice as it also has a spare usb output as well as a switch and power indicators.

With regards to power routing - You can sheath the power cable within the seat belt padding and have one end out to the handy and the other to the battery pack.

Thank you much, will give it all a shot. I just got in the 3d print today and it fits the handy like a glove, really well done!

1 Like

Ahh awesome! Well done on bravely getting a print done - Fate favours the brave :slightly_smiling_face:

Please becareful though as although it fits perfectly, plastic can still be broken. The latest is strong but can still crack at the corners of the slider cut out if the handy is forcefully tilted while in or if the topcap is inserted and misaligned with the slider cut out and tilted too.

Even so, the potential crack can be tiny and preventable by simply taping around the layer line. This is something that can happen with fdm prints but hopefully won’t and doesn’t for those that just leave the handy in place with the belts set up and stored away in a back pack when not in use.

Also, you can now get extra long car seatbelt covers to wrap the belts. These can be a bit awkward or convenient in cars as it stops the belt retraction but that also means less need to pull it over from over the shoulder etc. Anyhow, with the hands³ set up, having a single long wrap over the belt can be even easier to set up with one cover per belt than needing 2 etc.

Hi there its me again i keep following the thread about the DIY since i asked and i want to try the stanley vyce option please someone has something similar of that product and can please tell me if you put the handy in the gap of the vyce or you have an extra component so you place the handy in it? this is because i don’t understand some photos some older users post with that kind of setup and despite i dm them i never have a reply so i want to know how to create my hands free setup because its really anoying sometimes to find a position to use the handy…

Even i want to ask something else… how is the way you use of the velcro band to sustain the handy? Because right now im trying the pro band of the handy and im having a lot of issues to sustain the sleeves when i want to use it (all the time my dick ends up in a weid way inside the sleeve and doesn’t be all around it because or the sleeve start to come down of the band or the band its really tight and doesn’t adapt to my dick when i started to get erect or something like that)…

Great! Step by step with list

Hey,
Ive been looking around and wanted to get myself the handsfree bundle from The Handy, but personally the mount arms are too short for me, id like to use a sturdy arm to double as a microphone arm so i could use the handy mounting part with a different mount arm, so my question is if anyone here has had any good experience with a longer mount arm thats also sturdy so theres minimal movement even when the handy is at full speed ? Greatly appreciate any input to this.

@Abdulis thinking about getting the hands3 which looks like an amazing solution compared to other solutions which are stationary most of the time and a hassle to set up.
how does it stay in place? by putting the elastic band over it and securing it to the hands3 or do you just push the handy into the hands3 and it stays in place?

Thanks - The trilancer cinch strap to hold the handy in the hands³ cup is a bit of added insurance to keep it locked in. However, depending on the 3d print quality, it may not be needed at all due to the snug friction fit nature of the design.

I recommend trying a print, if its snug enough, just leave the handy conveniemtly in place. If its not snug enough, you could first try with a thin hankerchief under the base of the handy and then pop it in to help the friction fit/vacuum lock hold. Alternatively, you could use the trilancer cinch strap. Either way should help sung it up ‘if’ needed.

Using the right 2" / 50mm, velcro backed, quick release tactical duty belts is important too though.

1 Like

I didnt need an extra trilancer with my 2 Hands3 prints.

Theres also the ARRI Cup for a hands free desk mount option.

1 Like

Thanks man - I think you have great quality prints, while others may have prints from lets say less well calibrated printers, leading to issues where a trilancer cinch strap can help for that extra insurance of keeping the handy in the hands³ but it really should be as snug as bug and a tight fit for all.

For those with slightly loose holds - Another way to increase the friction fit is to place a thin hankerchief under the base of the handy then gently ease it in to the hands³. This fills any tiny gap improve the hold if needed.