Handy firmware version 4 rolling out

@handyAlexander announced on Reddit that the new firmware (4.0.1) is being rolled out during the next three weeks.

I guess it’s being gradually rolled out so some users may have it already. Anyone had the chance to try it yet? I’m a bit nervous that new and “improved” algorithms may affect scripts negatively, my scripts are optimized for (current) Handy.

4 Likes

You can update to beta 4.0.10-3+a04c0bd4 right now at https://new.handyfeeling.com/
(haven’t tested it yet)

4 Likes

I got around to testing the new Firmware today. My overall impression is mixed. On the one hand, connection time, downloading of scripts, and general performance are much improved over FW3. The new(er) Onboarding App is also a big upgrade over the old one.

However, actual performance with scripts is reduced, particularly with fast, complex ones. I notice stuttering, truncated strokes, and an overall loss of accuracy. Oddly, vibration segments in scripts seem to be improved, feeling somewhat better with FW4.

Interestingly, the sound of the motor is also different on FW4, with a much more ratchet-like cadence and a very, very slight increase in noise level.

Overall, the software side seems significantly better, but the degradation in performance makes this entirely nonviable for me in its current guise. Fortunately, downgrading is (at the moment) very simple.

6 Likes

The Handy folks complained about one of the scripters here having scripts that put too much stress on the device - even tried to have him removed from FapTap. Presumably they looked at the script history of devices with warranty claims and noticed a correlation. Based on this I suspect the performance change in V4 during fast scripts is actually an effort to limit the potential damage to the device from aggressive scripts.

Hopefully we’ll see a Handy 2 sometime soon that has better performance characteristics.

8 Likes

How do you do to update the firmware? I’m going to the new handyfeeling, going to update, connect my device with the key, but stays at the « waiting device to come online »

Interesting! Thanks for the report and particularly the downgrade part. Think I’ll try it out.

1 Like

You have to navigate to new.handyfeeling.com, connect there, and it will prompt you to update. There’s also an option to opt-in to beta versions, but there aren’t any at present.

Yes, but like I said I’m already doing that. But stuck « at waiting device » but is operational (still works on normal site)
Well better wait a few days I think…

They told me they were reducing reliance on the servers. Any evidence this is the case?

This is possible, though in my testing even milder scripts showed the same issues, only somewhat less acutely.

Based on my observations, the problem seems to be primarily related to long strokes and is only partially speed dependent.

My handy has been collecting dust since my FunSR1 came in.

4 Likes

I could see that being the case. I had to repair my first handy 5+ times. Then again, I love fast scripts, pmv, gooning with cockhero’s, and I do them all with a fleshlight go mounted to the thing. The failure point is the stepper motor’s rotor detaching from the shaft. I tore it down, used some green loctite to hold it, and would get 2-4 months out of it before needing to reglue it again. It finally died after a bit over a year, and I replaced it with another handy knowing I’ll likely have to perform the same repairs. It’s just a cost I’m willing to pay, especially if the alternative is going with their shitty band/sleeve setup just so it will last a little longer.

I considered the sr1, but between the wait time and the hoops you have to jump through to get similar functionality, it just wasn’t something I wanted to deal with at the time. That said, if this update is going to make it a worse experience, it just might be the push I need to order one, or design my own.

1 Like

O word, mind sending me the name in dm? Or do you have info on what would be within this “unacceptable” range. I’m pretty sure I have some scripts from the scripter by this point. I try to keep mines to max 450 or so but only a few scripts that I have ever reach that. I have a feeling I know but don’t think they post to faptap so can’t be the same lol

I don’t recall the specific person. It was a flurry of messages on the FapTap Discord several months ago.

I have a pre-built SR6 but have been very unhappy with it - especially for the cost. It is fragile, temperamental, heavy, awkward, and a pain in the ass to use compared to the Handy. There are so few scripts that support it in any case, so it’s really not worth the effort to me.

2 Likes

I stand corrected, I was o so wrong. Also didn’t know Faptap had a discord

Firmware 4.0 for the Handy is rolling out, and you can opt-in to try it now! You can easily roll back to version 3 if needed. The update brings more customization options to tweak the motor behavior (coming soon). We’re looking for feedback, so give it a try and let us know what you think!

5 Likes

Is this a phased rollout? Because my Handy is not detecting any new updates so far in the regular handyfeeling site, and the https://new.handyfeeling.com site freezes the browser tab with 100% CPU usage in both Chrome and Firefox.
I’m really interested on testing this new firmware.
Also, does this include the new backend in GO, using protobuf? I’m a big fan of both of those things, personally and professionally, so I KNOW that’s going to work great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

100% CPU usage: This was a bug that was introduced yesterday. It is fix, sorry about that. new.handyfeeling.com have a very rapid development time, so expect some bugs there the next weeks.

Yes! The new backend is in GO and we use protobuf for device to server communication. We will have an Async API ready soon where you have indirect control of the device using protobuf. You can also bundle messages, to speed up things even furter

Finally able to connect to new.handyfeeling, and update to FW 4.
The Connection Key should not be more than 8 lenght on my side to connect, needed to change multiple times before, reducing key size to fully connecting on site or iOS app.

Funny how a new firmware change the noise produced by the strokes :slight_smile:

Unfortunatly will certainly go back to FW3 for the moment, the Handy not working widh Stash App anymore

1 Like