I'm trying to make compilations of scripted videos

I just took a quick look at the spreadsheet and input the values from my last project just to see how it works. I got the calculated minutes and milliseconds, but column J with Combined (MM:SSmss)just shows “Err:511” all the way down. It also shows the same thing on columns A and B on the second tab. I’m not very good with spreadsheets so maybe there’s something I’m doing wrong.

Interesting… Ok, here are some questions that might help me identify what’s wrong.

1. When you first opened the spreadsheet, was column J showing Err:511? I had put some example values in the first few rows, so those should be displaying properly.
  2. Does the entire column J show the error? Even on rows where column B is blank?
  3. If you copy/paste the timecodes in, does the error show up? If you type the same timecodes by hand, does the error show up?

You can also try these two versions of the spreadsheet and see if one of those works better. The original version was saved as Microsoft Excel, but the new versions was saved with the OpenDocument format. I’m hoping that resolves the issue.

1 Like

Just downloaded, and tried the two new versions. When I open the .ods version, I get a message saying “This document uses an unsupported version of the Open Document Format. Some features may not be displayed correctly.” It asks me if I would like to try to update Open Office, I do that, but I have the latest version already. The following answers also apply to the two new versions as well.

1. Yes, it also already displays the error in the results section of the second tab.
  2. Yes, in every row all the way down to row 101.
  3. Yes, the error remains regardless of whether I copy and paste or type in the timecode.
1 Like

Sweet, thank you for testing that out. Turns out that the TEXTJOIN function I used in that column is not supported by OpenOffice, only LibreOffice. I downloaded OpenOffice and checked it there, and I was seeing the same problem as you were. I’ve adjusted the spreadsheets to use the CONCATENATE function instead, and it should work now. I opened the new version and confirmed that OpenOffice was able to run it.

You can use either the .ods or the .sxc file. I’ve put both up just to cover my bases, but they’re the same thing. Each day we get a little closer to figuring this out!

1 Like

It looks like the final display of the calculation is using only the minutes and milliseconds but dropping the seconds entirely. After the column G divider, it just has column H “Calculated Minutes,” column I “Calculated Millisecs,” and then column J “Combined (MM:SSmss).” The result is a format that looks like XX:XXXX instead of XX:XX.XXX.

I really like that the results tab lets you save the final doc. That’s a really nice touch.

I made a multi-vid compilation and used the spreadsheet before I realized it wasn’t working. When I got done I realized that I forgot to change the framerate in the spreadsheet for any of the vids. I foresee this happening a lot. This is the time that I would really appreciate some kind of nag screen. Maybe the first tab of the spreadsheet could be nothing but the framerate option so it’s the first thing you see when you open it up.

Oops! Lol. Ok, I updated both files to fix that little mistake. :sweat_smile: I also updated them with a new tab that is just for the framerate. That was a good idea, and hopefully it will help people to remember to update it.

Both files should be fixed and available using the links from my last comment. (I’m new to using Mega, so if for some reason the fixed versions aren’t available at that link, let me know!)

1 Like

It looks like I ended up just downloading the same two files again. I think I’ll need a new link.

Ok, sweet. Try these! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve had some time to try out the spreadsheet tool, and I think it works really well. Thank you very much for making this!

Unfortunately I’m still banging my head against the framerate problem. I thought I had found a solution, but when I put it to the test by making a compilation of videos with multiple framerates it didn’t work out. I even rendered the video with fsVideoMergerSplitter on the slow setting, and I think it might be even more out of sync in places than my DR rendered video.

Awesome, glad to hear the spreadsheet is doing its job! :smile:

I wish I was able to be more help with the framerate issue, but I have a pretty limited knowledge in that area. If I was taking a stab at it, I would think that it has something to do with this drop frame thing. I found an interesting article that discussed framerate timing in relation to subtitles. It didn’t give a satisfactory solution for our use-case, but it did have a nice explanation of the framerate differences. How Drop and Non-Drop Frame Timecodes Affect Closed Captions (3playmedia.com)

1 Like

I’ve been circling around the drop frame rate and non-drop frame rate concept from the very beginning, but I’ve been unable to work out ways that I can use it. That article actually gives me some ideas to work with.

1. Instead of setting up my project with a framerate of 60 fps, maybe I should use 59.94 and enable drop frames. Maybe I need to also convert the original videos to 59.94 with drop frames. The final solution might be one or the other or both.

2. Video with funscripts and video with subtitles are not too dissimilar. They both involve a separate file that syncs up with their respective video. This means I can potentially expand my research on the topic outside of EroScripts. If I can find solutions for making compilations of videos with various frame rates sync up properly to a subtitle file, then I may be able to apply that same knowledge to funscripts.

3. Maybe there’s already an editor that splices and merges video and subtitle files. I could rename the funscript file as a subtitle file, work with it in the editor, and then after rendering rename it back to a funscript file.

4. Maybe I could do the same as #3 above but treat the funscript file as an audio file. Then I export the audio track which is really the funscript track.

I don’t think #3 and #4 will work, but I’m documenting the ideas here before I try it just in case it sparks a better idea for someone else who might be reading this.

1 Like

Hi, I got confused in part 4 with creating the CSV file.
Should I open it in notepad and what should It look like if I want the first part of the scene and funscript to start at 5:55, pause at 6:45 and resume at 7:03?

I converted them to millisecond
355,000 ms
405,000 ms
423,000 ms

best regards!

1 Like

Make sure to download the timecode conversion tool (HHMMSSFF_Timecode_Conversion
.sxc or HHMMSSFF_Timecode_Conversion
.ods) from the megas just a few posts up. When you open the spreadsheet, there are instructions on how to use it including how to create the csv file. Make sure you know your video’s frame rate and update it in the spreadsheet. Once you create the csv file, you’ll need to open it to remove the extra semicolons (as per the instructions). I usually just use notepad to do this.

I think I did this wrong. I filled out the spreadsheet and then I opened the created csv file and it just says

startms,endms,name,speed
#VALUE!,#VALUE!,Part 1,
#VALUE!,#VALUE!,Part 2,

don’t know if I filled the spreadsheet correctly. the FPS was 59.94 should that have automatically been entered in the HH:MM:SS:FF - in the FF slot? or should that just be 00?

I don’t know how you ended up with that. Make sure you’re using the most recent version of either of those spreadsheet tools. The other versions do not work properly.

The very first tab should say “Enter the framerate of your video!” This is the only place you need to enter your frame rate.

HH:MM:SS:FF reads as “hours:minutes:seconds:frame.” If you’re not clear on this, make sure to read the very first post by @TheObsidianGeneral. I use DaVinci Resolve which uses this timecode format. Each frame adds a certain number of milliseconds depending on what the framerate is, but it sounds like you’re not using a video editor so just leave “FF” at 0.

I used your values for creating two parts. Part 1 begins at 00:05:55:00 and ends at 00:06:45:00. Part 2 begins at 00:07:03:00 and since I don’t know when your video ends I just said 00:10:00:00.

Then I went to the third tab that says “Save This as a CSV.” I clicked “save as.” Renamed it and saved as .csv. Before it finishes saving, you get a pop up that asks about formatting. “Field delimiter” must be set to use “;” otherwise it will default to “,” which wont work with the splitter/merger tool.

After I saved I opened it up in notepad, this is what I got. Note: delete all the semicolons below this.

startms;endms;name;speed
05:55000;06:45000;Part 1;
07:03000;10:00000;Part 2;

These final results are read as “minutes:milliseconds” which is a valid format for the splitter/merger tool.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the help! I put a period instead of a comma in the framerate which messed everything up! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Have you gotten everything work?

yeah, I tried it yesterday and seems to work nicely!

1 Like

That’s great! I’m glad it’s working out for you.

1 Like

sorry to be a pain again but, I’m trying to split a 8k scene and was wondering do they lose any quality when splitting or is there a setting I should check so that it stays 8k after the split? Also have you split any VR scenes and how have they turned out? Any loss of quality?

best regards!