Modding kiiro Keon to work with power supply socket instead of Battery

you should do a little tutorial on what you did different

There is not much I did different, just a second hole and a different kind of connector:
photo_2022-04-19_14-26-29
photo_2022-04-19_14-26-45

XT60 is probably overkill, so XT30 should do as well and a lot of external battery chargers support those connectors as well.

faster charge? i think i would have glued it to the keon bodyMicro USB is junk

Yep faster charging (if the battery supports it, havenā€™t checked, but 5V 2A is really slow)

I would like to add faster charging for Keonā€™s battery. Any body have done it? !!

lol Iā€™m not sure you can make solder in a barrel connector and use a 15v 1.5 amp dc current power supply could get any simpler lol good job :smiley:

If youā€™re having trouble finding the right powersource, just put a buckconverter like an LM2596 in between the powersource and the pcb.
I used an old laptop pwrsupply that outputs 19.5v and 4.62A
With a multimeter you can set output voltage on the LM2596.
I set mine to 16.5v, there was noticable difference in speed between 15v and 16,5v

And a tip for ppl who arnā€™t handy with solderingiron, just put a small peace of heatshrink on the 2 + and - wire. Does not matter if its on the power side or the pcb side.
Strip each wire you need to connect, twist the 2 wires together.
Than bend the twisted part of the 2 wires, in de opposite direction of the heatshrink.
Slide heatshrink, over the twisted wires, so that it covers everything.
Heat the heatshrink with lighter of heatgun, and voila you have a good solid connection.

is anyone able to help. i was able to mod the device yet it wont turn on at all. i checked and i am getting 15v and atleast 3 amps of current

i got the same issue bro too bad no one wants to help

Try this @TheWendigo_Alpha as a quick fix.

• Have Keon fully off for at lease 60 seconds
    That means battery already out and any new power supply unplugged from house mains AC power too.

• with the Keon still fully discharged of any power
    PRESS AND HOLD THE POWER BUTTON ON Keon.

• WHILE holding the Keon power button connect/turn on power supply.

• then very second you see BLUE LEDs light release the power button on the Keon.

If that doesnā€™t work you have likely damaged something inside you Keon.

(this is what i have to do with mine to get it work) hope it helps

1 Like

weird still not working yet the power supply im using the light turns off then back on.im using the insignia powe supply that someone else posted in this thread

ok so i reconnected the battery and it still works so my device isnt broken, i think this power supply may be either damaged or just not working. ill check the amperage on the power supple just to be sure

Great News! Iā€™m glad it is still alive.

ok so i just tested it and i believe the power supple my be borked as i was getting the required voltage yet no current whatsoever. i had it plugged in to the wall and tested it at 3v. i shouldve gotten 3amps of current (dont know if i need to have a load for it to show the current) so ill try hooking it up to my device and check current from there

1 Like

also this is the power supply im using. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-3000-ma-5-universal-ac-adapter-for-high-output-devices-black/6465025.p?skuId=6465025

something like this would do but a US 120AC version ( Sorry Iā€™m from UK 240AC)

Output Current: 4.5-5A
Output Voltage: 12V/ 15V/ 16V/ 18V /19V /20V /24V

Thank you so much for this guide! I just completed it and itā€™s working beautifully! I differed a little however. I did not remove the original battery however is is disconnected with its leads electrical taped away. I put spade connectors on my DC adapter plug and on the internal wires. So if I choose, I can disassemble the Keon and reattach the battery easily should I choose to want to use it cordless again.

2 Likes

15v vs 16.5v speed difference.
Can you elaborate further?
Any increase in heat from device?
Motor still functioning?

Well i didnt messure rpm, but on just hearing eyesight no significant change in rpm between the voltages.
Not what you normally get/expect when hooking a motor direct to a power source.

But i took a look at the motor of a kiiroo launch, and thats just a 12v rated motor.
And the launch has also a 14,7v battery inside, so my guess is the pcb has some kind of voltage or motor regulator on board.
That could explain why no change accurd when bumping voltage up.

And as far as heat development, so far no issues everything works just fine.

Sorry for not being very active in this thread.

To your questions:

It is best to use a power supply that can handle exactly 14.8v. 15v will also work, above 16v keon switches to overvoltage protection, and will not start.

The heat development is normal as with battery use. Of course you should always check how warm it gets during a longer session (cock-hero), donā€™t let the engine get too warm.
Motor still works fine after about 3-4 times a week on power.

Greetings

1 Like