OSR2+ tools?

So the screws for the right arm connected to the servo seems to have come loose and doesn’t quite seem to be working correctly anymore, it doesn’t reach full height and seems to struggle to roll. I’m pretty sure it’s literally just that they’ve come loose, because it out right just stopped working at one point until I managed to somewhat tighten things back up via ghetto make-do ways.

Does anybody know what specific set of tools I’d need for all the screws in the build? They’re all pretty tiny and I have no idea where to even start… any help is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

If you’re talking about the servo arm, the tiny screws that clamp the horn/arm onto the shaft are 1.5mm allen head screws. Very easy to strip out so be careful. Lots of servos come with stainless screws which are softer than the black oxide steel screws, so you may want to replace them while you got it open.

Here is a set I bought and I know several others have the same set. Seems well made and priced reasonable.
I recommend these with handles like this as it is easy to use and kinda limits the pressure you can exert.
The size is clearly printed on the side of the handle.

Threadlocker helps too - get a removable one. Will keep screws from backing out.

Be careful to use the threadlocker only on metal to metal connections. Like the screws in the arm on directly on the servovo.
Where a screw goes directly into plastic super glue is more appropriate.

If you look up the specifications of the threadlocker you can find if it is suitable for plastic.
Some threadlockers may dissolve certain plastics.

That is really good to know. Thanks for the tip!

Based on your description, I’d guess that you stripped the teeth inside the servo horn. If you use high-speed scripts with any frequency, it’s only a matter of time. The gear on the servo will be steel, while the servo horn is aluminum - a much softer metal.

To see if that’s the case, remove the screws connecting the arm to the server, then loosen the small screws on the servo horn. Pull the horn off of the servo gear and see if the teeth are worn away. If so, you’ll need to replace it. I’d recommend getting a multi-pack so you have spares on hand.

And if you are using fast scripts, I’d also recommend getting M3 lock washers (such as these) to use both on the screws securing the arms to the servos and the screws securing the servos into the case. I also added lock nuts to the latter, but that’s a bigger pain to do than just the lock washer. You’ll want to put a regular washer in front of the lock washer. Once all done, it will drastically reduce how often the screws shake loose. The only time any got loose for me since I did it was when my left-side servo horn finally stripped (had already replaced the right a while ago).

So, it’s been awhile. I waited for tools to arrive to tighten things up, and it didn’t work. That’s when I noticed the actual servo wasn’t rotating at all, so I ordered a new servo. Replaced it, copying the locations of the cables correctly. It still didn’t work, turns out the servo just isn’t receiving any instructions or power or I don’t know what the hell to be honest.

I ordered this off of Your Hobbies Customized a few month ago, it’s lasted me all of a few month. I don’t know how to fix this or where to even begin searching for help on fixing it, the whole reason I ordered a pre-built OSR2+ was because I have no knowledge of the technical side of it… I don’t really know what to do here.

Thanks for all your help anyway everyone, it was nice having this experience whilst it lasted - but unless I can figure out a very cheap fix for this problem, I can’t really afford to splash out on anything else. :frowning:

If you can get it to me (California), I’ll fix it for you. DM me if you want to work something out.

I’m in the UK, the cost of shipping would be far too much and I can’t afford something like that right now. Time’s are tough… I appreciate the gesture though nonetheless :slight_smile:

bummer man. happy to help you try and troubleshoot over discord as long as you’re able to take some nice steady, well lit pics. DM me if you want to try.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.