(Question) Launch vs Handy

Is the upgrade from my launch to a handy worth it? I heard in terms of stroke length and speed the handy is way better than the launch. One of my biggest concerns so far is can I still use my fleshlight? Seen some reddit posts where people complain about the handy overheating with a fleshlight, whoever is using a handy over here, u guys using a fleshlight or the original sleeve? If u use a fleshlight, any problems?

1 Like

Some people have made 3D printed adapters to use the full sized Fleshlight with Handy - from what I’ve read that seems to work OK (but I haven’t tried it myself). I use either the included sleeve (which is OK) or a FL Quickshot. The quickshot is my preferred toy as it slots into the velcro strap perfectly. Functionally the Handy is an upgrade over the Launch - it’s faster and way more consistent with stroke playback. I have zero regrets about purchasing it. If you have a decently sized FL collection you may want to pony up a few $ more and just get an OSR as that device seems to have even more functionality than the Handy.

1 Like

I use the 3D printed fleshlight adapter and it works fine. It’s still really fast, probably 2x times what the Launch can do. Handy is 100% worth it.

1 Like

Yeah I´ve seen the 3d printed adapter for Fleshlights, I wasn´t worry about mounting the Fleshlight it was more that people where complaining about the handy overheating due to the weight of the fleshlight.
For the OSR2, I dont have a 3d printer or the time or knowledge to build it, but a OSR2 would be amazing too for sure.

1 Like

You don’t need a 3d printer. Some people print them and sell them as kits or fully assembled units.

2 Likes

I have both. TL;DR: Handy w/ Fleshlight quick-shot Pulse

Handy:
Pros: Power, Quicknessw, I feel like range of motion, ease of use
Cons: The design of a more side/side vs. Launch enclosing the FL in the center. Might need an adapter to run non-Handy sleeve…

Launch:
Pros: Design that allows for an easier hands-free experience. Availability of tested scripts
Cons: $$$, Connecting to your PC can be a pain and require an additional Bluetooth adapter, the thing is massive

My personal set up includes the Handy, a Fleshlight quick-shot Pulse (“deep throat” model - no 3D printed adapter needed), and an Amazon iPad hands free stand with a few zip ties.

2 Likes

Yeah I saw one selling it like 6 months ago but he sadly shipped not to europe.

1 Like

@apolloblue75 I have the Launch I actually never had trouble connecting so far, lucky me I guess.
For me it was more like is the money worth to upgrade from the launch to the handy mostly for the ability of having longer and faster stroke ability plus I still want to be able to use my fleshlights.

You use a condom with the QS pulse? Since that thing is open on the other end Isn´t that gonna be a mess after? :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I don’t have a Handy, but the limited range of motion on the Launch was a major issue for me. I’ll say right now that I don’t consider myself overly well-endowed, but I found that to get things where I needed them with the sleeve I have, I needed to hold the launch about an inch away from my body.

The one and only time I tried doing this by hand, I had cramps in my fingers for hours afterwards. Hacking together a spacer from some foam worked, but it wasn’t a great user experience overall. Especially since I still kept accidentally hitting the power button and disconnecting myself on a regular basis whenever I tried to relube.

As for the OSR2, I got my parts 3d printed through an online service, and it requires no soldering or other special skills to put together at least the basic unit.

“Availability of tested scripts” is a non-issue - there is no script that will play properly on the Launch that will be beyond the capacity of the Handy or the OSR2 unless everyone I’ve read describe the Handy has been lying about what it can do.

1 Like

The Handy is definitely more capable than the Launch. I do think you’ll want to look into options for hands-free operation, as it’s definitely more annoying to hold than the Launch. It’s about twice as fast as the Launch, and has about 50% more range. I have had it shut itself down due to overheating after about an hour or so, so that might be an issue for you.

The OSR2 has 50% more range than the Handy (more than nearly everyone will need), and is at least twice as fast, though your choice of servo will be what determines just how fast it is. There are definitely some scripts out there that use that speed, too. The servos will get quite hot during a long session, to the point where I created a custom lid with a 40mm fan mount to push the temperatures down (from hazardous to touch to just uncomfortable to touch).

2 Likes

Though it’s worth mentioning that this doesn’t mean the extra range is useless. Depending on your mounting arrangement, the portion of the range that you’d actually be using can vary significantly, so having the extra available makes it much easier to adjust things to best suit your needs.

1 Like

OSR2 is impossible to not interject. It was more capable than both upon initial release. Since then it has evolved generations ahead of what could be expected from commercial products. I’ve had mine for 2 months now and have followed the project for around 4 months. In that time I’ve been left wondering how long until the project eventually transforms into fully animatronic legs and torso with environment mapping sensors. Jokes aside, It’s a device with a very dedicated community and I’m willing to bet it will out live and out pace devices for time to come.

The only con to the OSR2 is the software is still in its infancy. It does single axis tasks hands down better than anything, but the multi axis capabilities of the OSR2+ do not seem full steam ahead quite yet.

1 Like

Getting an OSR2 would be amazing but there is just too much I have to worry about, getting all the 3d printed parts, all the other parts, build it etc., I wouldn´t mind building it but I what I´m looking for is just to get a upgrade to my launch in terms of more stroke length, able to handle faster strokes without stuttering and overall a smoother experience over the launch, so getting a handy would be way easier I guess since I can just order it.
The only thing whats holding me back is just that people complained about the handy overheating with fleshlights due to the weight.

1 Like

To the OSR2 people here, how do you use it comfortably? You can’t just hold it with two hands like a Launch, can you? I am not really one for making pillow castles so that I can lie down on a toy. I’d rather just sit in front of my PC/TV and watch scripted videos. Can you do that with an OSR2 even? How do you hold it without getting your fingers caught in a motor or something :smiley:

1 Like

The base has holes for a VESA mount of the type that would be used to hold up a small monitor. From there, there are a variety of options.

I’ve got one of these clamp-on monitor stands (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YWK2TJH/ref=dp_cerb_2) with all but one of the segments taken out to be a less cumbersome length. It’s a bit tricky since it can’t actually be tightened up enough so that the servos won’t push things around, but if I get it so everything’s in a straight line so it just pushes backwards it works pretty well. (Though I’m not sure I’d recommend this particular model.)

Over on Tempest’s discord server, people have posted 3d-printable adapters for different kinds of tripods, there’s a mount designed to clamp onto a desk directly, an adapter for Ram mounts… And I’m pretty sure there’s other things I’ve missed or have forgotten seeing too.

1 Like

You don’t hold the OSR2. Not a chance you can, unless you make some kind of crazy two-handled contraption.

What I use is this armless monitor mount. Clamp the pole to the computer desk, upside down, then set the height and tilt. Hands-free operation, and use a chair with wheels to handle the final positioning.

It’s a couple-minute setup process each time you want to use it, but honestly, so is the Launch and Handy, if you want to do it right.

1 Like

Is it really impossible to attach some form of grip or handle to the VESA mount? Maybe some contraption like this: https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Parallel-Rubberised-Surfaces-Bodybuilding-Ergonomic/dp/B08D3PBN6Z/ref=sr_1_92?dchild=1&keywords=griffe&qid=1601736809&sr=8-92. Obviously you would need to jerry rig something. I mean can you not basically attach some sort of handle bar to the VESA mount if all else fails from a bicylce or something? I don’t own one yet and the pictures don’t make it clear if this would physically work so that’s why I ask here. Thanks.

For the OSR2, if you are interested you should spend the $2 and join the patreon Tempest MAx is creating Homebuild Multi Axis Stroker Robots | Patreon

This is so you have access to the discord server, where all of your questions can be answered. Someone on the forum may be able to put you in touch with builders in your area who can ship pre-assembled units to you. This is the route I went back in April(ish) because I don’t have room/need for a 3dprinter (eyet), and it has been a great device. Even better, if you are a tinkerer, you can play around with it, which is fun.

In theory someone could make a 3d-printed adapter to attach it to just about anything. In practice, my gut feeling is that it’d be very difficult to attach to something like a handlebar in such a way that the action of the machine wouldn’t cause it to pivot away from you, since the place you’re holding it from doesn’t line up with the path of travel. Depending on the exact position you wanted to use it in, not banging the handle into other parts of your body might also be a problem. Weight might be an issue as well.

I’d second @jacecolm’s suggestion of joining the patreon. There’s probably someone on the discord who can suggest a solution for how you would actually want to use the device, even if it probably wouldn’t involve holding it by hand.

1 Like

No, not impossible. That’s pretty much what I was thinking when writing “crazy two-handled contraption”.

It wouldn’t be particularly easy to adapt, and it would probably be even less easy to use, given the torque being applied during usage. I’d expect it would take too much effort and concentration holding onto the gizmo to actually enjoy the purpose of it.

You’d be a lot better off figuring out where to attach a hands-free mount.