Scripts don't start for 1-4 seconds

I’m attempting to switch my Handy, Intiface Desktop/Scriptplayer, bluetooth setup over to WiFi to test faster script movements since I’ve seen several people mention that a WiFi connection to the Handy is better for performance. I’ve just done some testing with Scriptplayer (no Intiface) and MPC-HC (my preferred player, but it acts the same with Scriptplayer as the video player) and I’m seeing the same behavior that at least partially made me switch from WiFi to bluetooth in the first place; namely, that every video script I play (locally or over my network) takes around 1-4 seconds to get going after the video has begun. Sometimes there’s no movement for up to 4 seconds, and other times the script starts after around a second, plays for a second or so and then stops motion for a second or two before it resumes and plays normally. I see about the same delay when seeking a video too (seeking is nearly instant when in BT mode). Actually, seeking can be even worse; sometimes when I seek a video ahead now, it never updates the script position and I have to pause and unpause the video to get it to sync up. Is all this normal behavior for Handy connected over WiFi? I had an issue like this creep up on me while in BT mode which turned out to be Scriptplayer performance issue trying to list many .funscripts over my network. I’ve solved that by syncing all funscripts to the local drive on each startup and configuring Scriptplayer to look locally for scripts.

Also, I notice that video scripts are no longer looping properly. Previously, with Handy connected via BT, MPC-HC would loop the current video so that short video scripts would play continuously (rather than having to restart a 20 second video manually several times). It worked really well. Now, over WiFi, it plays once and then movement stops. Scriptplayer doesn’t seem to show any status/error. I also tried playing in Scriptplayer as the video player and the only way I would get looping working was to manually set A/B points for each video. I have tried updating to Scriptplayer 1.2.1.

And, yes, movement speed does appear to be improved so far.

The initial delay is because when you start a video with a script the funscript file is uploaded to Handy servers, which could be under load at peak hours, and converted to their a format that the Handy use. The converted file (a csv format, not json as funscripts) is then sent from the servers to your Handy. The conversion and file transfers are what causes this initial delay when starting a new video.

1 Like

Ouch. I didn’t realize connecting the Handy via WiFi meant also requiring an internet connection. Think I’ll be sticking with bluetooth which seems to have fewer drawbacks. I really like that my whole bluetooth setup works completely offline.

Guess the next thing I need to find is a way to process scripts to make them more compatible over BT. The 500 m/s movement speed limit is the same, but it seems like I’ll need to run the Openfunscripter Special Function → Simplify filter to reduce the numbers of direction changes for the problematic scripts.

I’m pretty sure there are threads discussing the limitations of BT compared to WiFi. I don’t remember how many points (i.e. commands sent over BT) you can have per second and what the minimal time between two points is.