Some video files not playing in browser based script player, only audio plays

Hi I tried an MP4 file in three different browser script players. I tried funscript.io, handyfeeling and funscript player. All have the same issue. I’m using chrome. My other mp4 vids work fine but I have issues with 2 or 3 where the audio plays but all I see are a black screen.

I compared the file properties with other files that work fine and don’t see any difference other than file size and bit rate. The files play fine in VLC.

In VLC you can see the codec information. I suspect the problem files all use a codec that doesn’t work on your system for some reason.

Tools, Media Information, Codec tab

Then you can try to find out why that codec doesn’t work in your chrome.

I found codec but couldn’t figure out how to change it in VLC.

The codec used in a media file is not something that VLC has the ability to change, as far as I know.

If you’ve found that the problem files all use a similar codec, and that codec isn’t used by any of the good files, then you have a few options available to you.

1. Re-encode / transcode the file to use a codec that works for you.

2. Find a way to allow chrome to work with that codec.

Handbrake is probably a decent tool for transcoding https://handbrake.fr/

1 Like

The codec is the one that the video has been encoded with. Some many video players require that you have the necessary codecs installed. VLC is one of the exceptions and has its own codecs for the most commonly used formats.

Another way of checking how a video is encoded is to use MediaInfoOnline - MediaInfo in your browser. Nothing is uploaded anywhere so don’t worry about file sizes and bandwidth.

The following is a codec pack that many refer to when people are having trouble playing videos: Download K-Lite Codec Pack Mega

I usually download the basic version instead of the mega version since I don’t want to pollute my computer with too much irrelevant stuff: Download K-Lite Codec Pack Basic

You can compare different alternatives here: Download K-Lite Codec Pack

Note that this is not the only codec pack available, it’s just a popular one.

There is a thread about codecs and applications that might (or might not) help: Codec Support with Programs

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.