Update to self post edit time limit + deletion guidelines

Not sure if this was related to a certain user decided to vanish and editing all of their topics to Delete 10 characters xx

That’s what I thought as well.

I am also not a big fan of that change.
If someone wants his content and scripts fully deleted, that individual probably has reasons to do so.
There are also people who just retire from scripting like @Midevil and leave their scripts online for everyone, and that’s their choice to do so.

Taking the freedom of deleting or editing your own posts is very bad imho.
I can see why you want to take those measures, but this is definitely not the way to deal with it.

2 Likes

@Zalunda For example, this post is effectively useless from a historical perspective because nobody would be able to find it. Having edit history does not matter.

@mADsCRIPTS I can’t optmize my scripts list, because 1 post has not enough chars for a nice list with all my scripts. So i have to make comments, comments are not editable.

Yeah definitely not ideal due to technical restrictions. If I had to suggest a workaround, it would now be best as multiple topics each as their own wiki. I could imagine a similar naming scheme and perhaps a parent topic that collects them all into 1 location.

@tastyseekin I don’t love it either, but I do feel like we’re between a rock and a hard place. We’ve previously allowed small scale deletions. But I think this is the 2nd or 3rd time we’re dealing with such a large scale deletion request with thousands of old posts affected from both the specific user and everyone they’re interacting with.

@Zalunda @Falafel honestly I think that editing very old topics to add updates might not be the best option for exposure anyway. I don’t have exact stats but I’d assume that old posts get only a tiny fraction of new views compared to new ones. If you’ve added something sufficiently new like multi-axis scripts, that sounds like it deserves a new topic, which would get way more views. This doesn’t address every case like minor edits or broken links, but I have a hunch that replies are probably sufficient tbh.

Also very unfortunate timing, but I will soon be out of the country for about 2 weeks. May need other @moderators to help pick up the slack on this thread in the meantime.

2 Likes

@hugecat
What about sticking to the old rules for editing and stop showing the edit history instead? I have a feeling that the rules so far have actually worked out quite well.

From what I understand, one of the reasons why a few want posts deleted is that otherwise some users can still find information that (for whatever reason) should no longer be visible.

The reason for this is the edit history which gives access to all revisions of a post. Perhaps a compromise can be found so that only the creator and/or mods can view it?

5 Likes

I can’t edit post I made. What the hell is this

Which communities on earth can’t access posts I made?
At least, I think I should own the authority to edit mine post

No matter how hard I try to understand, it’s not right

1 Like

Definately a step in the right direction something needs to be done so that hoarding a personal backup of all content is the only way to go lest someone pull out the rug on all their posts.

Agreed some sort of “Hidden” function. Where the post itself would be excempt from any searches, however the script for example can still be available.

If a user want to delete his or hers account they probably have reasons to do so and it should be allowed. They are technically also the rightfull owner of said scripts.

That being said :

• Isn’t it possible to put only the scripts in some old safesearch thread? Like a script archive? With the users persmission ofcourse.

For example before deletion of said post have a prompt put up asking “Before deleting would u like to archive the script in the post for users future use”

• Recently i changed some scripts and found videos online people could use to watch them, however now there is no possibility to change the post (I can only place them in a reply on my own made post)

• Also the comment by another user on making a new post and gaining more views shouldnt be the reason why people remake a post. It will eventually means only more clutter and spam topics will flourish on a board and will make searching for a related video or script all that more difficult over time.

Its not at all usefull to see 10 post with the same name claiming to be the same or improved, adapted or improvised script.

3 Likes

Unless there’s a quick and dirty way to undo the changes made by a specific user, this could leave a security loophole behind.

Can a trust level 1 user edit wikis? If so then it’ll be a massive one…

I’d rather see posts wiped by the author themselves than by some random individual who thought it’s funny to nuke an adult content forum.

2 Likes

From another perspective, I’ve always see this community to be centred around its people, then their content. These modifications are, in a way, an attempt to secure the content at the cost of revoking controls from the authors.

It may also encourages a habit of hasty posting (creating new and throwaway posts) than properly address exisiting ones.

https://discuss.eroscripts.com/t/flim13-gyaru-sex/19758

In this topic, the script has been expanded by the author themselves and the contribution of others. The topic has recieved numerous updates throughout the course of 4 months by the author to conclude these results, neatly organized. If there’s no editing feature, it would force a new reader to comb through the replies to look for these updates, and determine which one to use based on their chronological order.

I also imagine this will potentially spawn new topics due the demand for exposure, as you’ve suggested earlier. This then leads to what @ScriptsEnjoyer has said above:

6 Likes

Its a good change in my honest opinion.
Some people edit their post without any real changes only so that they are visible again in the startpage. I sometimes see posts with up to 30 or more edits without any real change to the post. That just hurts the visibility of of other users scripts both in the paid section as well as in the free section.

To add some context, bumping via editing only works when said topic does not have any replies.

1 Like

What am I supposed to do?

4 Likes

As that page describes, the last post also does this. So even if you post in there to avoid bumping. They can obviously still post afterward and edit that one again. Its not hard to disguise such post in such way it appears as a normal one. Except it getting a high edit count.

But my question is now: what about threads in software which get updated? It might be needed to edit the mega link in these cases. My OFS plugins usualy dont get a lot of updates so they can easily remain unchanged for months. But if an update happens, i rather have the OP updated to contain the newest version.

1 Like
1 Like

I’m thinking about this decision…

Maybe we shouldn’t let a few bad apples spoil the bunch, because people keeping their posts up to date is potentially worse than a few people deciding to wipe their whole portfolios. I dunno.

I don’t get the particular reason for someone wiping their posts without providing a Patreon alternative, when you can just change your website username here if there’s a privacy issue. Maybe a moral dilemma. :eggplant:

I think it’s a complex issue here, but we may need to think this through and see what type of solutions can be programmed onto the website.

1 Like

Gonna be honest, this is pretty annoying and makes zero sense to have to deal with

There are a bunch of scripts I want to update, or give an alternate version of… making an entirely new post for just that is pretty silly.

6 Likes

It looks like we can’t even edit past messages lol. I tried to edit topic templates and there’s no edit buttons for the messages I sent to myself.

1 Like

This page will need continuous edits.

1 Like

this update reminds me of Kim Jong-un, the owner of a country without freedom.

1 Like

No offense but, I feel like this was the wrong way to handle this. Eroscript is all about collaboration so discussing changes with the community ahead of time would have been a better way to address this. Dropping changes without warning has already caused issues for frequent script uploaders/editors.

No matter the quality of these changes, acting impulsively is going to do more damage to the health of the site than any sort of individual post deletion by users. Trust is easy to lose, and very hard to gain back. I’d ask you guys to consider this when we already are a small group; with no reason to stick around if a better alternative comes up.

That being said I definitely appreciate that the mods care about preserving the history/scripts of the site. And the anonymize feature for post deletion seems OK. But as for the editing limitations, the flaws of Discourse really don’t make them an appealing solution to that dilemma. Like to speak on trust again, you don’t trust us to delete our own posts but you do trust that other people won’t deface the new wiki pages? Really?

We may be a small community but that doesn’t mean that troublemakers can’t register new accounts/dodge bans with VPNs. Doing it like this is just going to make more work for mods when someone inevitably does decide to mess with the forum. It’ll also lead to things getting messed up until someone can manually look at it. Not very convenient for anybody.

And that tradeoff really isn’t worth it when you consider that every edit past the deadline that could have existed before is now going to create to a new and unnecessary topic on the forum. We already have problems with visibility because of stuff like poor tagging or topics being buried in obscure places.

I just can’t see what you guys do in these changes. I’d ask that you please reconsider.

4 Likes

The problem is discourse is popular, but for forums definitely not one of the best. There are many flaws here as they tried to simplify as much as possible, preventing very specific cases to be handled properly. You are going to rely on plugins/mods to get more functionality, which ofc have a high risk of breaking on updates.
But yeah, if 90% of their users consider the default functionality fine, they wont care about the 10%. Plugins in most forum software over time ended up becoming a hassle to maintain. If the plugin maker stops, or the framework gets a major change, it might break sites and require a lot of coding to fix it. A very unpopular feature of many forum software as they only notice the pain when its too late.