VRBangers Video Download Changes (June 2024)

It’s on the Main Dashboard after you log in to the right of Upcoming Scenes. It just says “community”

2 Likes

And you just KNOW that cretin at SLR is going to try this next

2 Likes

I had a quick look into this. I’m not a dev but tried to use Fiddler or Charles to monitor traffic from Play’a to get details on the API but since it all happens via SSL, you need a Fiddler/Charles SSL cert on the Quest to show the traffic and I couldn’t get past that part. Happy to be told otherwise by someone that knows what they’re talking about :slight_smile:

How are you getting access to the folders? I’ve used mobile vr station before but seems like it’s not allowing me to access the directorys…

There is a PC version of Play’a available. With that you could install the Fiddler SSL hijack certificate on the PC and see the unencrypted traffic…

PLAY’A VR Video Player on Steam (steampowered.com)

Great idea, I might give that a go next

SLR already changed a lot of things with their lifetime sub. People just forgot or subscribed a bit later I guess, but they once had unlimited downloads for everything for example.

In VRBangers case I would suggest anyone to just let their sub laps, tell them in the forums to fuck off with that extra hassle shit (cause people don’t want to use that shitty player and would rather use Heresphere) and pirate the shit out of their content. I can only hope that it will fuck them over.

Edit: oh cool, they are already banned on some subreddits on Reddit too. Great to see.

7 Likes

Regarding the filenames: You can click on “Edit Scene” in XBVR and copy one of the canonical filenames from the filenames tab.

1 Like

I plug in the Quest with USB to my PC, there’s a popup that appears on the Quest when you do that, you tap on it, and then it appears as an external drive on your PC.

I’ve tried VRBangers for a month and was a bit disappointed by the content, now I’m even more glad that I’ve cancelled.

I’m with you on this Polt. (putting on my tin foil hat for a moment) I’d be willing to bet you this is going to be a way for them to justify removing downloads all together. I think my renewal is up in a few months (I purchased a 2 year deal on a BOGO sale) and unless they turn this back on I’m leaving. Good luck VRB, you’re gonna need it.

As an interesting side note, VRB owns VRConk and VRBTrans and surprise surprise, they don’t make you download their scenes via the Playa app. Hmmm…I wonder why that is. :thinking:

2 Likes

ah that actually explains so much. That really sucks, well until they fix that i wont be touching any VRBangers scripts, also cancelling my sub

1 Like

Not exactly the same, but R18.com had DRM on all VR vids that forced you to use their app too. And now they’re defunct :upside_down_face: Probably other reasons too, but still.

I took that survey they had on their site a little while ago, and I said my only complaints at the time were that releases were sparse but if that compromised quality, then keep the same schedule.

The other complaint was how users can’t download Dezyred scenes easily…and what a coincidence lol.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s just a matter of time before they do it on their other sites if they don’t revert it on VRBangers.

1 Like

Thats a really good point, just checked that out myself that VRCONK still works

1 Like

Oh I guarantee you that VRB is the test run on this new policy of theirs. I’d be willing to bet that their customers are going to bitch and complain for a bit and then ultimately forget about it in a couple of weeks and then move forward with removing downloads across their entire platform. What I don’t think they realize is that this is only going to create more instances of piracy of their content and lost revenue. My ultimate fear is that if the other premium sites (like BaDoink) watch what VRB is doing and implement that into their site policy as well.

2 Likes

I have a feeling that will only be a matter of time.

@Islanti @ze_fog

Don’t have VRBangers account but I took a quick look.
If you want to emulate Playa then this is the api implemented by VRBangers: https://www.playavr.com/api
You can just auth → query video with id → get video links.

But there is also the whole video metadata available in the browser via window.__NUXT__.state.videos.video, im assuming window.__NUXT__.state.videos.video.videoPlayerSources.full will be populated when logged in with subscribed account, so you should be able to just use that.
The metadata also contains playaId which has to be used with Playa api.

With that it should be easy to make a userscript that adds a download button back.

1 Like

I didn’t realize the number of people that can’t even use the Play’a app, or can’t access VRB within the app, or can’t download in the app. The topic on the VRB forums has blown up a lot, and this one blew up a bit more than I expected as well.

Their newest video release (Dark Side of Nicole Aniston) is flooded with comments about this change as well. So, hopefully more and more people will let them know what bullshit this change is.

For anyone still wanting to take advantage of your current subscription until it expires (or if you have a lifetime sub like I do), you can install the Steam Play’a app and run it without VR and use your Mouse and Keyboard to select and download videos that way. It’s an extra step or two (one for downloading with an app instead of browser, and another for renaming the video and transferring where you want it), but at least you don’t have to mindlessly wait in VR mode for it to be done.

4 Likes

I wonder if there planning on putting out a mass amount of their own scripts and this is the counter measure

1 Like