What does editing the "range" value in a funscript do?

To fix a script not working with Stash, I learned that scripts with “range”:90 must be changed to “range”:100 for it to work. While this works, what does changing this value from 90 to 100 even do?

If you’re like me, you saw this fix provided without explanation and probably have seen that it works sometimes but not always. As I understand it now, the actual issue is that devices like the Handy have a hard limit on their maximum speed (40cm/s I think) and some scripts have movements that exceed this. The way Handy’s software handles this in order to prevent your junk getting yeeted into tomorrow is to ignore the movement altogether. That’s why the script “doesn’t work”.

For some scripts, manually increasing the range of some movements from 90 to 100 (using the substitution above) just makes it more likely that this speed limit will not be reached since making the same movement “longer” will also make it slower. You will equally find that substituting 10 for 0 or 20 for 0 will do the same but just as unreliably since this is just guessing at where the overly fast parts are.

The best (but also most tedious) solution would be to find these parts manually using FS software and spotfixing them, instead of a “find and replace” strategy. Alternatively, best would be running a bit of custom code to identify too fast sections in a given script and adjusting them down to the limit).

Hope that helps!

p.s. I don’t think this is the only cause of broken scripts, some have reported ‘slow’ scripts with this problem, so there might be a lower limit issue as well, or something completely different (e.g. related to Stash itself).

Looks like it’s also related to the intervals between actions being too short and/or the actions being too slow (opposite of the problem I described above) - here are the numbers for the Handy: Some guides and formulas you can use when scripting for the Handy using OFS

A tool like this might help: Fun Expander 2.5.2 - Video converter with ffmpeg to i-frames added [Updated 2022-04-11]

It looks like some software to play funscripts can manage these issues without causing the Handy to stop. e.g. HandyControl 1.2.3 (28.11.2021) - Added Support for Pyro (Remote Control)

Thanks for the explanation, so far the two videos I tested by changing the range from 90 to 100 fixed it, so I haven’t encountered any other problem. I’ve been meaning to setup a NAS that could run Stash so I can just use that to play my scripts without relying on the handy app.