Will they catch up?

Having been a user of the Handy for a year or two now, and having also been keeping an eye on Tempests creations, It leaves me to wonder, Will the Main stream Dildonics Companies ever Catch up? Sure the Handy is an Awesome Device, but the limitation of it only having one axis to work with means the minimal amount of realism in content. Meanwhile not only has tempest created a device with 6 axis of motion control, but also has abilities to heat itself, twist, and relube; which takes simulation to an even higher level. Of course the caveat is that all of that has to be scripted, which from my meager attempts at scripting for the Handy seem like it’d need a whole lot more patience required. I guess the point I’m trying to make with this post is to open a dialogue on the Future of things, and get others opinions on where both main stream and fringe may be headed in the future.

It’s not a matter of catching up. It’s all about how to make a device user friendly enough for consumers, get the production cost down and ensure build quality to avoid warranty cases while still having good enough features. Most companies also don’t want their devices to only only work with Fleshlight.

You can compare your questions to when a car manufacturer like Toyota will catch up with Ferrari or Lamborgini when it comes to performance.

Don’t get me wrong. I would also like more advanced devices, especially a twist function. However, I’m reluctant to get an OSR because I really don’t like to be in a fixed position when watching VR. I use the tilt function on my chair to get good viewing angels and rearranging/repositioning the OSR every time I change position is just not acceptable for me.

2 Likes

Excellent comparison, the two can technically be put in the same box, but they are wildly differently focused and not really the same at all. Instead of a production supercar however, I think a kit car makes more sense to describe OSRs.
There’s a solid, stable, performant base version, and due to the nature of it being already user assembled with user sourced parts, it’s very easy to mod towards the user’s specific goals. But like a kit car, it’s way too much fiddling for the average person to do themselves. Bespoke OSRs are in the end, still basically advanced prototypes, projects pushing past the safe basics of the base version, being developed by often only one person as a hobby. And despite the reputation of Italian production vehicles, they are still better sorted than home garage prototypes :wink:

All this said, it is possible to add features like heat and lube to other strokers (perhaps not script integrated lube, but you can use a button for manual control), much like how people mod anything else (like production cars). You could get a warmer and lube pump and figure out how to attach them to your Handy if you really wanted to. OSR just attracts those who are going to put the effort into designing those solutions, because it’s easier to develop for.
And even then, just because you can doesn’t mean it’s worth it. Sentinel could design solutions to fix the problems he has with OSR, like a custom mount for his chair, but the time and effort to get something satisfactory could be more than it’s worth. There is a reason that some of the people sharing custom parts for OSRs have patreons of their own, it’s real work to sort these things out!

I do wonder what a “Ferrari of strokers”, or a “Rolls Royce of strokers” (for a commercial product, a luxury vibe makes more sense imo) would look like. There is no truly high performance, wide feature set, commercially available stroker. But Handy v1.1 and Fleshlight Launch are already $200 (perhaps that’s why they don’t already have these features), what is the celling for this space, and what features can you cram in at that price? Increasing performance with additional axes (aside from twist, and maybe pitch and roll depending on how it’s designed) will require significant changes from the current standard design, not to mention all the additional noise from the extra motors. It’s a difficult problem, and realistically I don’t see a solution appearing on the market any time soon.