DeoVR dropping DLNA - alternatives?

OMG really? I rely on DLNA to stream my movies from my Plex Media server.

Thanks for the v11.9 apk that’s awesome! I really need DLNA working.

I guess older versions will stop working at some point. Why you hate it so badly? Why don’t you get a Premium instead? What do you do for a living? Is it correct to assume you get paid for it?

Such entitlement in this post.

Rather than expecting people with money to pay for your product, your team should be working to create a product worthy of that money and limiting the damage done when a key feature is taken away.

Your approach is the opposite of that. You deride the people who complain, dismissing them as bothersome obstacles to your business vision. This reflects terribly on your company. You forget that you need customers more than customers need you, and that’s never truer than when they have good reason to start looking elsewhere.

11 Likes

Firstly I’m not one to make a fuss etc but as a paying customer of yours (full premium + Scripts etc) to read the below and see your attitude towards your customer base is nothing short of disgusting. I have read most of the threads on this so far and was happily investigating other options (because there is a need for some form of local/network player) and i came across your statement below.

If anything this is just a complete disregard and a middle fingered salute to a significant proportion of your consumer base. You can compare it to whatever you like but I’m sorry, the above says it all
!

5 Likes

Really? At this moment you are only showing that the only team that don’t understand others is yourself. I mean you haven’t even shared what future benefit thus could bring by turning the app into a streaming only app?

I totally get you are now being hammered with complaints etc and a load of K/B warriors etc but i would strongly suggest taking a step back and having a more “considered” reply. Maybe even sharing what the plans are for SLR.

I say this as you have a significant amount of your consumer base unhappy. And unhappy customers will go elsewhere, especially with that attitude.

5 Likes

Sorry you have got things that way.
Things aren’t easy on our side yet we are doing our best to move forward.

We are getting terrible assaults all the time from people who can’t accept that we have to make our own decisions and some of those they might not like. The biggest problem give us people that were never paying a thing on slr.

We always have slr users in mind as the value of premium and other services is only growing for you guys without us expecting to get anything more from you to what you’ve already paid.

1 Like

I’m posting our plans here all the time, just check my posts history. I’m waiting for deovr team to release a major update this week after what will give you a broader roadmap. A lot is done on haptics side of things. We have a good progress with our ultimate connectivity and ergonomics interactive sextoy as well.

I’ll make another thread on DLNA tech side if things

and yet… you’re still hoping the elephant in the room will go away, nearly 3 months later and its still there?

I haven’t got anything more to add than what’s already been said by many but all I personally can see is its falling on deaf ears.

What specifically would you like me to address?

1 Like

LOL, if you haven’t worked that out then, well there is no hope.

There is clearly a “need” for a service that was offered within your product that you have taken away. As yet I havent seen any solutions or benefits to dropping DLNA aside from it make your dev teams life easier.

again, all this has been said… lack of convenience will just drive piracy up even further.
Offer some tangible benefits of dropping functionality
Offer solutions (maybe even a workaround).

And yes, I imagine you have been getting “assault’s” as you put it, but that is down to a significant userbase (both paying and not) having functionality that they care about taken away with no considered response to address this requirement.

Strongly agree with your 3rd paragraph/point but disagree somewhat on the 2nd point.

Their company might be one of the larger ones (maybe even the largest in the space) but I don’t think it’s as large of an entity as some of us might think, with endless resources to spend. At the end of the day they need to keep their devs even if some might have their quirks, like not taking shit, which they might interpret as having the freedom to set own goals which are broadly aligned to the corps’. And as anyone who’s worked, knows good talent is hard to come by, you cannot just keep firing and hiring people, that loses you time, money and rep.

The most important thing I’ve noted is the need for civility in these discussions. I’m think of creating a philosophical thread out of this whole discussion that has taken :smile:

1 Like

Just my own two cents here>>>>>as much as I understand that SLR has their reasons to drop DLNA (limited resources/another dev direction) I am disappointed that the option is no longer there. Mostly because DeoVr was the only player available to have it all. In my opinion that was your unique selling point. I am a user that has a good stable homenetwork that is connected through A good/fast glassfiber connection to my internet provider. Even so it is almost impossible to stream videos through SLR…during the week there is no problem but in weekends it is awfull. I have several Vr subscriptions and I always download the videos and scripts. The reason I have a Premium account on SLR was their Player and their integration to play all my videos and scripts through DLNA with Deovr. Whats left now is only a VR website like many others>>>>>with some good productions though. Will I cancel my subscription>>>>NO.
Am I disappointed>>>>yeah…a lot.

8 Likes

It’s not even the removal of a feature really, it’s the transparent disdain towards criticism of any kind.

SLR are in dire need of somebody with competent communication skills to take the place of the asshat currently screwing up that side of the business.

Imagine if they put out a statement explaining what they were doing, empathising that people are going to find that frustrating, but then building on their relationship with customers by assuring them of their commitment to the community and some of the plans they have to counterbalance the update.

That isn’t hard to do. Instead we’ve got this chump aggressively lashing out at his own customers, creating a negative feedback loop, and ill feeling. It’s all so avoidable.

10 Likes

@doublevr Maybe you could check with the DeoVR devs about the previously planned SMB support? It has been discussed on the DeoVR forums. DeoVR devs claimed the following a year ago:
The option itself is already in development and is almost ready for release. But there is still something to finish, test before release, and so on…
Later it got lower priority and obviously was put on ice. Maybe that support could solve some of the issues people have now that the DLNA support has been removed.

My guess is that it’s SLR functionality that has delayed it since they are talking about streaming service in one of the last posts of the thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can totally feel your frustration. Yet things are moving forward and we are doing our best to bring haptics to the next level. You can expect a lot of innovation from us.

A lot of things have changed since then. Both DLNA or SMB are not on the roadmap for multiple reasons.

We are focusing on the ultimate streaming experience.

Well i also do have alot (5TB) of saved clips and scripts, mix of free ones and paid ones, subed and pooled and so on.
Main thing for dlna is the the ability to have all videos in one place, but also best quality and no lag and that is on an 500mbit fiber line.

Its a shame not being able to use slr in this aspect anymore. I do have premium + scripts but i still download and buy extra scripts if needed and never stream outside dnla (except from choosing what to buy/download).

I think everyone finds a solution that works best for the need. I have no hard feelings against SLR other than think its sad due to its the working way for me right now.

To help the topic and people moving forward, Is there any other way to get this working in a similar use?
Deovr or slr app and not updating, xbvr or is there more?

5 Likes

Who said dlna is a bad way to stream?
Works like a charm for me

1 Like

I really think Heresphere can be the solution. It’s not cheap compared to other players, though it’s a one-time cost that seems worth it. The dev is working on native script support, which shouldn’t take long for the Handy (non-Handy devices may take longer to implement). You can already stream SLR videos through the player, though streaming of SLR videos could use some refinement. If the Heresphere dev can work with SLR on incorporating script streaming for paying customers, then you’d have roughly the same functionality as DeoVR. Plus the player does a great job with viewing downloaded 3D and 2D videos.

2 Likes

This is part of what worries everyone. When we talk about retaining the need to download videos and play them locally, you usually respond with either, “Why you hate us? Get a streaming sub” or, “People just want that option to download a bunch of stuff and move on and I hate freeloaders”

What you are ignoring is the conditions of subscribers in the US. I live in a major city with decent broadband infrastructure. I pay for gigabit service from Xfinity, and yet I get maybe 300 mbs download - and I live in a house with two other adults and three kids, all of whom are heavy gamers/streamers/etc. Additionally, many users in the US have CAPS on their downloads. For me, it is 2 TB a month, which we constantly exceed, usually double or more. I pay extra for unlimited to remove the cap, but its pricey and not an option for everyone.

The point is that, for many US customers, streaming is a really shitty option. It is far easier for us to download a video and script once, and play it locally thereafter. It isn’t that we are “freeloaders” or whatever you are insulting us with today, it is that we cannot actually get any value out of a streaming service. I have a lifetime membership, and I never stream - stuttering videos are not fun.

People are not mad at you just for fun, or because they are freeloaders. Many are upset because you ignore our very well-reasoned problems, and instead of offering a solution (e.g., maybe the sub for downloading and DLNA is more expensive, and the straight streaming only is cheaper?), you just call people names and tell them you don’t want their business. Why even come here if that’s what you are going to do? What point does it serve? It certainly doesn’t help your business or generate new customers (i.e., something useful), so it seems like the only reason you come here is to either a) brag, or b) dunk on your customers.

I deeply appreciate SLR for MANY things - including the work you have done on DeoVR. Personally, trying to get a script and VR going on any of the other players is a royal pain in the ass. You originals are the best shot VR, hands down. Your scripters are top notch. The other site reps are helpful and informative. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why you come here and shit on people so frequently. I suppose it could make you personally feel better some how, but it would surely be more productive to dunk on people who are not paying you or your company.

11 Likes