If it makes sense to sell scripts

Hi. Here I am writing scripts and I’m not a professional, I get nothing but hearts for my work, probably from about the 5th script it turned from a hobby to a job (which is a pleasure). The question of buying a 3D printer to create my own device (for the 1st and 6th axes) came up.
Guys share successful script sales techniques. Maybe there’s no point in messing with sales at all? Maybe my scripts just aren’t good enough yet to try selling them? Want to hear the views of professionals.

1 Like

I’m in a somewhat similar situation. Don’t want to paywall off my scripts and I’m far from doing this professionally in any stretch of the imagination, especially since I script for my own pleasure first and foremost. It takes quite some time though and occasionally involves commission-esque requests.
A reliable plattform (for europeans in my case) where people can throw you a buck or two if they feel inclined to do so, would be ideal. Anyone got experience on that front besides Patreon?

But there’s a question - what does it mean professionally? What criteria can be used to determine whether or not a script is well done?
By the way, I’m thinking of making a set of rules for writing scripts in a separate “Howto” thread. This will allow beginners to do a lot of scripts more properly. This will allow the experienced to share their experiences and techniques.
Is an individual’s time (many hours) worth a cup of coffee?

I was thinking, maybe it makes sense to make a paid section on the forum through patreon or other service? All members pay $2 each. 1 for forum support and 1 for votes. All free scripts go through a voting phase a month before publication in the main section. Creators get a dollar for each vote. This way script creators and forum administrators get support.

1 Like

My experience with selling scripts isn’t good. But it depends on so much things:

• It is a global business. And thats why nobody cares how high are your average living costs or what you can earn in a “normal” job. In my case. It don’t make sense to sell scripts. The scripting income per hour is more than 10 times lower as in my normal job.
  • If you are hitting the average taste or make scripts for the hardcore fans, you can make much more money. I script what I want and I am okay with the result, bad selling scripts.
  • The scripts are erotic content. Find a way to sell this stuff is hard. Realsync, SLR, patreon and gumroad. Every other system will not provide scripts.
  • Quality is necessary. If you don’t have a good reputation, your sells are lower. But quality is easy, follow the actions on the screens accurate and find good solutions for complex / blind actions
5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed answer!
It’s just kind of complicated. The community (you and I as forum members) are the ones pushing forward the progress of sex robots and content for these devices. And the corporations get the bulk of the money. Many open source projects have such a thing as sponsorship and why don’t SLR and others sponsor the community? Although I may not know something - this is just my opinion.

I think the big unknown here is just how big the script-based sex toy community has become or just how fast it is growing. SLR and other adult entertainment companies pushing scripts definitely gives the impression that it has to be a pretty lucrative business.
Still, I’ve yet to see adult streamers getting sponsored to do control sessions or something in that vein, which I thought would’ve been the way to advertise the toys. Maybe social stigma on sex toys for men? No clue tbh.
Other than that, I guess as long as there isn’t some sort of collective monetary reward system (which would be a whole nother can of worms) you’d either have to double down on scripting on commission or balance opportunity cost with the time you’re investing in scripting for free.

1 Like

What I meant by sponsorship, for example.
SLR on their website publish videos with free scripts from our forum (this requires an agreement between the administrations of the forum and SLR). As a bonus for this - they pay for hosting or give money for its maintenance and/or make those who write scripts gifts. In this case, the situation is good for all - SLR increases traffic and sales, our forum gets additional sources for existence, guys who write scripts - some pluses and motivation to do so further.

FYI, I have a OSR2+ “trade program” if you want to trade scripts for a fully built OSR2+ unit. PM me if you’re interested.

Thank you, of course, but this topic is a little different. The question is whether it makes sense to try to sell scripts alone and share successful experiences. Just because I write a few scripts and swap the copyright of the scripts to OSR2+ will not give any long-term bonus.

I thought about this same topic and I always end up relating to the DJ side of the music industry.
Back in the day I used to buy vinyl records, now ever time I spend money on music it is digital. I saw this coming years ago, vinyl would not be the future. I see scripting following a similar fate. Right now we spend hours doing what we do, but I see tech catching up and taking over the whole scripting process. Idk how it will all play out but I imagine that the actors will be fitted with motion tracking sensors, and A.I. playing a part in the process. With that in place, long VR scripts can be completed much quicker equaling more $ for the studios. Thus eliminating the need for scripters. A new record with two songs would cost $12-$15, now a days you can buy a single digital track for $.99-$1.99. A studio could pay someone $20hr, or just invest in new tech bringing the cost of each script waaaay down.

So to sum it all up. No, don’t try and sell scripts. You won’t make much money, and eventually you will be out of business.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s because it’s cheap and easy to distribute content now, and the quality has dropped. A new Led Zeppelin or Queen is a long way off. The comparison with selling music is not correct, but with creating it, maybe.
Regarding the technology of motion recognition (as a substitute for human scripting) also do not agree - now a lot of technology motion recognition (inertial or optical), they are all very expensive and cumbersome and require even more work for animators, more than for video editing. And it is difficult to hang a naked model with sensors to capture the movements :wink:
Neural network - makes it easier to write, but requires adjustments and experience.
The sex tech market is growing by 20-30% a year and interactive toys to be - to understand its future and the future of scripting enthusiasts in it, that is the question.

2 Likes

Overall. I decided to try the subscription model.

• Early access to free scripts $1 per month.
  • Full access to mono scripts for $5 a month.
  • Full access to multi-axis scripts for $10 a month.

Few reviews, of course. I do not close the topic I will unsubscribe here as I go.

I’ve made almost 750 scripts for free over the last 6 years or so and I can say with confidence that I probably wouldn’t have if money was involved. As soon as you start taking money it stops being a hobby and starts being an obligation.

In the short time that I had a donation-address (a long long time ago), the joy of getting thanked by the community was replaced by the disappointment that nobody donated. When I decided to get rid of it, this whole thing was suddenly fun again - a hobby, not an obligation.

14 Likes

I enjoy making the scripts. It’s like a fun challenging game for me to get the best immersion that I can.

That being said, with scenes that consume more time I am more inclined to sell for the purpose of maintaining subscriptions, upgrading my machine and/or beer money.

The response from the community is really what makes it enjoyable for me and keeps me coming back. I don’t know how anyone could make a living off of scripting.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers!

2 Likes

It’s sad and frustrating…
Perhaps your story is instructive because you didn’t have a more detailed goal. You did what you did and enjoyed the process of creating + feedback from your followers, writing scripts on videos you liked. Tried to monetize - and it became a drag for you.
Above is very correct - to make a living on the scripts is virtually unrealistic, certainly not now, when no definition of the profession and the future of sex tech is uncertain.
I really like beer, for example, and I do not think it’s shameful to be bought, because in fact I “virtually jerk off” with it (oh my god - life after that thought will not be the same).
I’ve been thinking recently about the future of sex robots, about why we do it all (scripts and devices). And I came to the conclusion that sex with robots is more ethical to humans than prostitution or casual sex. I think that I will create a topic where I will share these thoughts in more detail, but later - I will sleep on it for tonight.

1 Like

Another beast you’d have to tackle is copyright.

There are scripts themselves, but if they’re going along with animations/models/footage that comes from another source, the monetary gain being associated with your scripts to that material tends to be in a legal gray area.

Some creators I’ve seen in the HMV community (not funscripts per se, but still content related to sexual footage), have a “tip jar” – Patreon or ko-fi as a place to give a little bit if people like their work, but people will still have access to all their content.

People who tip could then get small (keyword, small) perks such as:

• a preview of upcoming content
  • list in credits at end of video

I’m not saying to do this, just something I’ve observed that doesn’t make creation feel like an obligation.

It seems that up to 10 seconds of audio or video with a link to the owner or co-owner is allowed by law.
I’m against “piracy,” but I don’t fully understand all the licensing fees paid to labels either.
On my patreon I don’t put links - “who seeks will find” © bible :wink:

Have you seen the Japanese site ‘fantia’? There are a lot of people selling scripts as a subscription.

I have no idea how to write scripts I think a little further - multi-axis robot. Here on the forum mentioned somewhere - a stick of two ends, there will be no normal robot without scripts, and there will be no normal scripts without a robot.