Old sales post

A few updates.

Here is a link to the WIP user guide. Any suggestions are welcome.

PETG parts are available.

Some parts are starting to get a little harder to find, the boards and servos we use are the main issues. I have been speaking to vendors and they say prices are likely to increase and availability may not be as certain.

I am purchasing as many of the ESP32 and DS3218s to try and stay ahead of this but it might be best to place orders if you have been one the fence. As of right now I am still able to locate all the parts needed to complete the “All The Way” build and the SR6 with add ons and my prices have not increased.

I will keep you all posted.

2 Likes

I received my order (Mosaics recommended build) a couple days ago, but cannot get the device to work.

When I connect USB, I can see a red and a blue LED light up inside the device. Windows also seems to recognize the device. I can at least hear the usual USB connect sound. Also, when I click on Serial on https://trymosa.netlify.app/ I can choose “CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller (COM6)- Paired”.
However, the device doesn’t home as it should according to the troubleshooting section (https://yourhobbiescustomized.com/pages/help-resources).
JFP also doesn’t work. It says “USB TCode: Connected”, but the device doesn’t move if I play any scripts.

It’s not just the servos, the fan is also not spinning (in case it usually does when power is turned on).

I am using this power supply (the 5V 6A variant): Amazon.de
Maybe it’s an issue with the power supply’s connector / the polarity? Unfortunately, I am not too knowledgable about this subject…

I have other power supplies lying around (e.g. the one for the Handy) and I was wondering if I could use those to debug the issue, but they all have 12V and I am afraid that could damage the device. Could I use a 12V 3A or 12V 5A power supply to test if my current power supply is the problem or would that brick the device?

1 Like

do not plug 12v in. You’ll kill the servos. I’m assuming you have the esp32 board. It is best to connect to it with Wifi in my experience. Never was able to get it to work consistently using the usb cable. Follow up with M0saic for help. I was very frustrated when I got my unit, as I was expecting something that worked out of the box, but after accepting that it wasn’t, put in some work, and am very happy with it now.

1 Like

Sounds like it could be a driver issue.

Check in optional windows updates for the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge driver

Also, DM’ed

Thanks for the response.

I really hoped the device wouldn’t immediately die from 12V.
To be completely honest, I already did connect a 12V 5A power supply by mistake when I first tried to get it working… because I ordered one with the incorrect voltage at first. After it didn’t work I checked the manual, saw the warning about the voltage, double-checked my power supply and face-palmed… So I guess I must have fried it then… :pensive:
It died silently. No noise, sparks, smoke…

Sorry for not immediately mentioning this…
Until now I was hoping the too high voltage would only have shortened its lifetime and that it might be something else.
If it’s certain that this killed it, I’ll try to see if I can get some new servos.

By the way, I am able to connect to it using Wifi. Changed the network, reduced X and Y ranges and restarted it. It also connects to MultiFunPlayer on Port 8000 UDP (I assume that’s the correct port/prot).
However, it still doesn’t move.

1 Like

I checked for updates, but didn’t find any driver-specific ones and the usual updates didn’t change the behavior.

As I have written above, I guess I must have broken the device when I first tried to set it up…

Glad you were able to Identify the DC in port as the issue.

Has it been working well since you dropped in the replacement that came with the power supply I recommended?

Thank you for all the info here. I am interested in buying a 3d printer and building a SR6. How big does the printer need to be? If I don’t decide to buy the printer are you able to sell the sr6 kit without the servos as I would like to have them upgraded?

If you got creative with bed placement and are okay using more materials for supports as a result, you could use something as small as the Prusa Mini. The ender 3 is great option though and it is what I recommended to anyone who wants to enter the world of FDM.

Yes.

My next update to the shop is to create “bundles”. These bundles would include all the plastics one would need to build the device without the electronic and hardware components, all plastics with hardware and wiring but without motors for those who want to start off with upgraded motors(I recommend that users purchase the whole build to “get to know the device”, to have a backup set of servos, and reverse engineering is easier when you have the whole picture). Nevertheless I will make it an option for purchasers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you. I appreciate you giving us the option to get a kit. I am pretty confident with building something like this. I just ordered a printer hopefully it will be in by the end of the week. I became a patron to Tempestmax but and ensure the printer would be able to build the all the parts. I couldn’t find plans for the ilube. I found IsaacNewtongue’s patreon account but its not there. Can you send me a link on where I can buy the plans?

I noticed on the SR6 page you said it requires a 6v5amp power adapter, but… not what shape the plug needs to be… I’m guessing it’s a barrel plug? and… what size in mm?

2.1 x 5.5 mm dc

1 Like

Can anyone tell me what the stroke range is? Cheers!

I have been achieve up to 9 inches with small changes to the tcode. That would have issues with other axes and collisions in certain places unless you were using just the base model.

Give me some time and I can take measurements with the “all the way” and “recommended” models.

2 Likes

Is it required to join the tempest patreon for the device to work? Not opposed to joining, just a mild hassle to set up a new account, since who knows what my old one was and what throwaway email I used :slight_smile: . Just curious as the product you make looks awesome for a bit more then the handy, and the + looks super temping lol. Thanks.

Is it required to join the tempest patreon for the device to work?

no

It is helpful to begin with for community support if needed.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll probably just join, learn a bit and get set up for an OSR2.

1 Like

order #1157

was supposed to be delivered on Aug 13th, Shipping tracking says ‘UPS has not received the package yet’.

I found it covered by some inbound boxes, they must have gotten mixed up. It will ship tomorrow. I am very sorry for the delay.

1 Like

thanks for responding so fast!

1 Like