The Handy and overheating

Good points wise sage, (I mean that with respect and not jokingly) the dynamat material would insulate heat in, as well as sound, … maybe a sound deadening material without the foil top wrap could be used just for sound properties… as for the motor to stay cool after the 30 mins plus I’m just thinking if only there was a chemical that cooled down from movement than warmed up and then that could be used somehow…probably just crazy talk, who needs or even has 30 mins spare to themselves…oh wait…now I’m kidding

For me, what I said in my previous post, I will not categorize it in the “problems” category.
The device has a mechanical action that forces an increase in heat, yes, and that’s what I feel, but like I said, nothing to be alarmed about.
Heating is not really annoying and does not risk causing burns at any time.
So I wouldn’t classify my feelings as “problems”.

There are multiple ways to tackle the heat issue in a possible Handy v2. I think Sweettech will find a solution that won’t double the price :wink:

Good point, lets make it 13 to 7… oh sacred numbers

I’m confident they will - maybe nothing too drastic but I reckon a update lower base cap with mounting possibly or even just a somewhat vented on sides lower cap should possibly help reduce build up perhaps… to be continued/tested :slight_smile:

I’m now thinking what if the dynamat and the passive cooling and vents could be utilised… Best of both worlds albeit harder work for cooling…

Also, what about using more heat durable material that won’t heat up as much, still vented at base too of course…

I have sent this discussion to the Handy team and hope they find it, well, Handy :slight_smile:

Thanks again all for your great contributions - Especially Lucifie!

Today I tested a different sleeve setup with a more heavy sleeve and after a while at full speed I got the red/yellow blinking the first time on my mount. It’s quite warm here in my room so the average temp is a bit higher.

I measured 50°C on the bottom surface shortly after it shut of. This seems to be a valid measure to prevent burn on your skin. For a mount that is not touching your skin that internal temperature could be higher but then you are breaking EU laws since you have to make your design to cover all use cases.

So I hope they take care on heat dissipation or prevention in the next Handy version to avoid this issue.

Nice 1 Lucifie! Now the obvious question would be could you please do exactly the same set up with the Handy sleeve and see if the same outcome happens with the same-ish room temp change. Not necessary if same set up was done before and there was no heat up, but this would be to figure out was it the room temp or the heavier sleeve or both in combination perhaps.

It’s probably both. A temperature rise is always a relative change. If you use the same setup on the north pole you will probably never see a overheating error :wink:

If the temperature is limited at 50°C and you start at 30°C you have a 20°C margin. If it’s only 20°C in your room then you will reach the limit later or maybe never depending on the temperature curve.

Good point, I guess with warmer weather coming for summer, we need to air condition rooms or use fans to lower temps, for use with either the standard sleeve or heavier 3rd party ones