Would multi-axis really improve sensation?

I’ve heard a bunch of multi-axis efforts, including osr and syncBot, that claim to be much better than single-axis one (like Handy).

However, due to difficulty in scripting multi-axis movements compared to single-axis one, I am wondering would it still feel better?

you don’t need specific mutli-axis scripts for mutli-axis machines to enhance the experience. In my opinion, its a game changer. Going back to a single axis machine feels very dull.

6 Likes

In my experience multi-axis scripts are strictly an improvement over just single-axis motion. They add additional dimensions of stimulation and in some cases a degree of immersion (especially in VR).

An OSR2+ is a leap-and-bound improvement over linear designs with the addition of roll and pitch - in my experience it adds immersion and extra dimensions of sensation that simply are not possible with just one axis.

Here are a few scripts I like which may showcase what is possible when upgrading from single to multi-axis:

The SR6 is an upgrade on top of the OSR2+, and the three axes are an additional improvement (there are several excellent 6-axis scripted scenes on this site that creators have graciously shared for free!) but it is not as big of a difference as the first addition of pitch/roll and twist, in my opinion.

I have yet to try a syncbot but reviews on this forum suggest YMMV. I would expect that the additional axes of contraction and rotation add additional sensations that single-axis cannot provide.

5 Likes

As someone who has used both the Handy, and a fully loaded SR6. 90% of action-based multi-axis scripts didn’t seem significantly different from just using the single up/down axis. Obviously it moves around more, but I didn’t really feel much of a difference. Now, IMO multi-axis really shines with music-based scripts for PMVs where it’s not bound to realistic movements and can just “dance” all around.

But with that being said. I still prefer to just use the Handy for everything. It’s 99% as good while being 1/5th of the size and making 1/10th of the noise.

3 Likes

well, by adding random movements along other axis, would that de-syncing from video makes things less immersive (on VR)?

wow, is noise that bad for SR6?

It’s not fully random. And they’re quite subtle if tuned right. If anything, it adds immersion and realism for me (and others that have tried).

Maybe not quite that bad. But it’s still pretty bad. Noise cancelling headphones don’t stand a chance at drowning it out and It’s clearly audible in other rooms.

Those rachel starr riding videos hit differently with more axis

1 Like

With the vanilla servos maybe.

What is important to note is that at shorter stroke length and slower speeds the noise is greatly reduced.

So, with upgraded servos and reduced stroke length/speed(I find most users like slower content anyways) the noise is not audible in another room. Unless your walls are not up to code.

I have definitely tested this by walking into the next room while my SR6 was running.

When watching a PMV with over ear headphones(passive noise cancellation only) I cannot hear the SR6 either.

I am with @g90ak on this one. Once you try it out single axis doesn’t seem to do it anymore.

I know there are quiter servos, but most of what I’ve heard said they’re still fairly noisy. I don’t know personally though.

Regardless, between the price and difficulty of replacing all the servos along with not being super impressed with multi-axis anyway. I don’t care to give it a shot.

But if upgraded servos was an option while ordering pre-build units (wink wink) I definitely would’ve went for it.

1 Like

As answer to your original question: Yes and no.

In principle, the difference between mono-axis and multi-axis is huge.
BUT not with every content. With slower, more playful movements it becomes more significant. With faster, simpler content, the SR6 no longer really has an advantage.

And just where it would be really interesting, namely with very immersive VR content, there is a problem in my opinion:
A lot of multi-axis scripts for VR are just bad. Often the main script has simply been copied and slightly toned down for the pitch or inverted or such things.

So I think the potential is huge but we are not there yet, but we are still climbing :rocket:

How’s the sound difference on the OSR2+ compared to the SR6? Is the SR6 louder by much because it has more servos?

Talking about physical stimulation, I’d say the up-down movement (that of the Launch, the Handy, SSR1) does 90% of the job. You don’t need sideway movements to cum, that is.

The additional axis (of the OSR2, SR6) adds to the psychological sensation of being in the scene. You actually feel it when the actor move their hip sideways, instead of getting an awkward representation of it on the vertical axis.

Although they can also get very simulating physically when exploited to the fullest extend. Hence I agree with:

Twisting / spinning (of the T-twist, A10 Cyclone, Syncbot) also greatly contribute to the physical stimulation. They are less used for immersion since most people don’t sex in helicopter style.

It’s just more workload, and a diminishing return. I’d expect single-axis script to stay dominant given the effort involved in handcrafting script. The potential of SR6 unleashes when used with simulated content, such as VaM scenes and scripts extracted from CGI (see anielSzal’s stuff).

I do think the OS2+ hits a sweetspot for script enjoyers, as it provides the multi-axis potential whilst not going too complicated.

2 Likes

I assume yes, however from the look of it, each servo on the SR6 moves at a lesser range compared to the OSR2+, so it might be not? (I’ve not owned an SR6 to tell)

The loudness level also varies according to the type of servo chosen for each DIY unit and the type of content. So far I’ve not seen a scientific comparison between the two.

For anyone who concerns about the noise level, I recommend following the development of the SSR1.

1 Like

Correct. OSR2+ is much quieter.

Here’s a link to another post with my thoughts vs the SR6.

2 Likes

I was about to make the same comment. Thanks for bringing the SSR1 into the conversation. It is not multi axis at this time. But it is quieter and faster than the Handy. Not to mention it is also hands free.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.