DIY Handy Hands Free ideas?

Really impressed with the inginuity going on in this thread. A bit embarassed I didn’t design anything. But for lying down I picked up one of these:

s-l1600

Eisco MTST5 they are pretty reasonably priced, I picked mine up of Ebay for £16 UK.

If you lie down you can hold the base stable by putting the foot of the stand under one leg (it is metal so use a towel over the base as it is a bit chilly otherwise). If you want the handy to stand straight, just use the grab hand (which doesn’t interfere with the travel of the carriage) around the middle of the handy. Or to hold it at a small angle, you can use the ring (supposed to hold a flask) at the base or the top to get a 20 degree offset. The ring is slightly too small to fit over the end of the handy, but that actually works in its favour. It is fully adjustable and will fit any size guy.

6 Likes

Also if you had any Breaking Bad roleplay scenarios you wanted to try out you have a perfectly servicable prop!! In hindsight I hadn’t appreciated that it may look like I am cooking meth in my room!! On the plus side it does dismantle for easy storage (the main rod unscrews from the base) so you can hide it away easily enough.

2 Likes

20210206_1448001

6 Likes

Yep, i use the Stanley vice and works perfectly for me on my glass top table and with so much adjustment is very versatile

Honestly, I use these materials: buy a pack of square pegged bed risers. You can buy some that are like 2.2 inches or so and then stack two together. Put the hand on top of that and then use plastic zip ties to secure it so it doesn’t move. Then you buy a pair of like 5 lb (or however heavy you want but at LEAST 10 lbs total) ankle weight packs and you just tightly tie the velcro of the ankle weight around the bed riser that the Handy is sitting on. This is ideal for if you use yours on your bed and are maybe laying down or sitting upright with your legs stretched out on your bed.

1 Like

I’m not the OP but I also use this design

This works really well as a tabletop/desk mount. A few points I would add

1. Do yourself a favor and make sure to get the cheapo plastic suction cup handles. This way you can quickly and easily drill it out with a standard set of bits. For those who are less versed in the power drill arts, put some painter’s/masking tape on the handle where you want to drill your hole, mark it, and then use a screw or even better your trusty hand awl to start the hole just enough for your drill bit to grab onto. Pilot holes are your friend and work your way up to the final gauge. The handle is hollow so you’ll do this on both sides. The top hole will be larger than the one on the underside.

2. In the picture the gooseneck has the male end in the handle with the female end on the Handy. This should be reversed.

3. For mounting the gooseneck onto the handle, a simple tabletop gooseneck microphone mount can be used as a bolt. The mount I use is just a small disk with a threaded bolt on top for the gooseneck.

4. Get yourself a second 19" gooseneck. Now you have the option for just the necessary length needed for tabletop use or connect them together for even more adjustability. With two 19" goosenecks you can easily use the Handy while lying down. Just place the handle underneath your legs and bend the neck back over itself towards you for any angle you like. In this manner the Handy is oriented in its intended direction of use with the buttons facing towards you. This also allows you to hang a blanket over it without interfering with the actuator. For making the handle more comfortable, pull a sock over each suction cup and stuff a sponge in there for some cushion.

5. Making sure the gooseneck is oriented the correct way will also allow you to use other mounts and stands. Remove the Handy mounted gooseneck from the handle or its extension and you can attach that end directly to any mic stand. If you use an extendable mic stand, you can position the arm horizontally above you with the Handy hanging down vertically. If you get an adapter you can also mount the gooseneck onto any photo tripod. I can’t remember what the thread sizes are at the moment, but it’s just the standard photo tripod threads and the standard mic stand threads.

Shoutout to whoever u/IRLanon is for this great design. Cheap, easy, and effective. I’m very grateful they shared this.

1 Like

Hi everybody,
There have already been a lot of good ideas, however, I still wanted to share mine:
It uses a “clamping part” on the top of the Handy together with a nylon (or actually any other) strap. It is very rigid.
Pros of the design: Compact to store, minimal printing effort
Cons: 3D Printer needed
I have uploaded stl and f360 files here: Handy
Some pictures:
2021-03-04_18h29_44
20210305_110001
20210305_110018

14 Likes

This looks very nice!
Would you tell what material you printed this with?

PETG, my favourite material. But PLA should be fine as well. I use filament from DasFilament, a german supplier as I am from germany as well.

I tend to use my device while laying on my side in bed. Does anyone know of a stand that I could use for that?

1 Like

The setup I described is pretty versatile. I would think it would work in that position. If you want to lay the Handy horizontally across something like the bed for lying down on your side or if you want to stand in front of it, you can straighten the gooseneck and use the handle as a counterweight or a part to place a counterweight onto. You could also unscrew the gooseneck from the handle and secure it to a mic stand horizontally next to the bed.

What I’m saying is, with some creativity and a handful of zip-ties, the world is your oyster.

I share my Handy’s f setup. It can be used easily, there’s a lot of combination . SO Great, i use it sit, with a guitar/mike stand, or table, chair…

handyStand

9 Likes

I tried to clamp the Handy once like you did but I heard a little cracking sound when I tried to attach it so I discarded this idea. I just don’t want to break my case. Dunno how stable this part is since I never opened it.

Does this Fleshlight setup work well? I looks like it will wobble on faster speeds since the velcro is so small.

1 Like

What size grip clamp did you pick up?

The velcro is highly tighted. The fleshlight does not moved. At hight speed i ve to handle with hand or feet (sometimes) when i used the stand on the picture, with other stand it is not necessary.
I understand about the clamp, it’s not neccessary to over tight du to the stroke moves. Nothing else moves.

The grip clamp is the 300mm (= thightening space between grip.).

1 Like

Hi Lucifie, checkout my post further up thread i have designed a 3d printed part that gleshlight sleeves fit into where the handy strap can clamp much more, works like a charm. (if you have a 2d printer)

Huh, I’ve got that Stanley vice, but I never thought to attach it to another vice.

Sadly I don’t have such a printer :c But I have a mount that woks realy good. I was just trying out other methods.

So i have created a more, minimalistic setup.
I used a musicians beer-holder (yes music is a serious business :smile:), a gooseneck, a desk clamp, some thick foam i had lying around for the beer holder as padding (~2-2.5cm thick, its too big for the handy otherwise, attached to the holder with some zip ties), and a simple thin plastic wire for added safety to wrap around the handy (really thin, so thin the handy’s sleeve-holder slides right by it).
Do note that the desk clamp and gooseneck aren’t the ones i bought, those i couldn’t find on amazon, but they look very similar.
This is not the most stable setup in the world if you use the handy at its maximum length, but its really simple and doesn’t shake too badly.

2 Likes