Handy noise

Hello. I`m just wondering if my neighbours are able to hear me use the handy during the night? I live in an old apartment with people living over and under me, so just got a little paranoid lol.

Sorry if this already has been answered, hehe.

depends on the thickness of your walls and bedroom door aswell as noise in your room to suppress the handy knocking and whirring i usually use a box fan a ceiling fan and a few blankets over it just in case cuz i dont like hearing it or worriying my family can hear it through out the house which they cant as ive tesed it and under the blanket going full speed i cant hear it from the hall which isnt that far from my door.

1 Like

like spaceguy said, it’s really dependent on your walls.

but also on your handy setup, if it’s a hands free setup, then make sure it’s not causing too many vibrations with whatever furniture you use to keep it in place.
if i were you i’d rather worry about the vibrations than the handy noises in itself, the kind of noise it makes is easily absorbed by walls. plus it’s not very loud in itself

Something else that could be done is to try and make an sorta sound absorbing box or area around your setup like some people do for microphones.
Additionally you can also put up stuff on your walls that absorb sound too, foam is generally the best but also expensive obviously as all sound enthusiast want or use it. But just by putting up something not flat against the wall helps especially if it’s triangle shaped since then it can capture/entrap sound diffusing it at the least which compared to a flat surface that will just bounce the sound around helps a bit.

Image to help show sound wave stuff

Something I’ve done myself for an large room I have my computer in is segregate an alcove area off via getting an extendable curtain rail and put on some black out curtains which results in the sound struggling to escape from it since it bounces off the curtains if it even escapes from the dips in it.

Two Microphone Examples

Black out Curtain and rail purchase links

SANELA dark blue, Room darkening curtains, 1 pair, 140x250 cm - IKEA

Amazon Basics Shower Curtain Tension Rod, Adjustable Length

Upscale/FPS increase request topic , Video resolution mega poll and recommended multi-axis script along with single-axis script which is a Fap Hero.

Ahhh yes! Finally a thread combining my two favorite things sound engineering and masturbation!

Unfortunately, I don’t have a handy so I don’t know much about its sound profile.

The biggest things to remember are that sound is vibration and those vibrations will weaken (be quieter) with mass or distance

What kind of noises do you hear from your neighbors?