Non-VR video FPS/Resolution Mega poll

Recently I had quite a surprised when I uploaded an script and included in the links an 720p, 1080p and 4k version and decided “why not” and include a poll to see if people liked the 1080p and 4k versions that are 60FPS that I upscaled from the original 720p version. I was expecting the poll to come out with 4k being the winner but uh…

I was surprised…so then I’d thought that why not properly ask what video resolution is preferred and also attempt to find out why for non VR intended videos.

What FPS do you watch/accept?
  • 30 or less
  • Source
0 voters
Which video resolutions do avoid/dislike?
  • 480p
  • 720p
  • 1080p
  • 1440p
  • 2160p (4k)
  • Other
0 voters
Which of these video resolutions is acceptable to you?
  • 480p
  • 720p
  • 1080p
  • 1440p
  • 2160p (4k)
  • Other
0 voters
How much importance does FPS have on a video? (0 = none/don’t care, 10 = top priority)
0 voters
How much importance does Quality have on a video? (0 = none/don’t care, 10 = top priority)
0 voters
How much importance does resolution have on a video? (0 = none/don’t care, 10 = top priority)
0 voters
Does video quality matter for what resolution you prefer?
  • Yes (can you give an example?)
  • No
  • I have no idea
0 voters
Does FPS matter for what resolution you prefer?
  • Yes
  • No
  • I have no idea
0 voters
What do you dislike bigger resolution?
  • Takes up too much disk space
  • My graphics card/monitor can’t handle it
  • It’s just too big for me
  • I don’t
  • Other (I’ll leave a comment)
0 voters
Would you download and use an upscale of an video?
  • Yep
  • Only to archive it
  • Compare it’s quality to Source and then decide
  • Only if the size isn’t that big of an difference
  • If it increased the FPS
  • No
  • Other
0 voters
1 Like

So re:fps i think 30 is the absolute minimum but it being 60fps or higher is dependent on the source or the media itself. Cause i can only really play at 60fps minimum for games but these aren’t videogames so the fps to me isn’t as noticeable.

If the source is rendered as 60 fps then its probably fine but Ive seen many movies and anime that have been interpolated to be 60fps posted on youtube and those usually make me queasy. So it prob depends on how well its done. So 60fps is probably mostly fine, ive just seen too many shit interpolated 60fps vids on youtube.

1 Like

From my experience so far with interpolating (via Flowframes) when you try to do anything more than doubling the FPS of the source video you end up with blurring or jittering textures that’s more than you eye should normally ignore/miss. The human eye can catch however the clear cases of where it just goes wrong like say blinds in the background that are all in the same color but have light on them will just look weird no matter what.

Reason why is because I’ve noticed Flowframes interpolation sometimes makes a blurry image copy to be the extra frame, sometimes it also doesn’t do an blurry image (usually if no movement is occurring)…it also sometimes does an in-between of the two if one area of the video at that point is having fast movement occurring.

Oh and one last thing…a lot of videos aren’t exactly rounded to the nearest ten (e.g. 25FPS is most common) which means interpolation results in 60FPS not being possible. (e.g. 50FPS from 25FPS) It doesn’t stop there as there’s other cases I’ve seen of where the FPS isn’t rounded to the nearest 1 so you can end up with 59.5629999FPS in media-info stats.

But tis my observation from my experience so far and I’ve not uploaded to YouTube so I don’t know if YouTube is doing something further to murder the videos than it’s compression.

It mostly happened when I watched something that I had already seen in its native fps then watched later watched the 60fps version. Like there was a clip from the 2012 avengers movie interpolated to 60fps. I think some people in the comments said it was motion smoothing or something idk i dont know any of the technicals about this stuff. But basically like from an objective standpoint everything still looked fine but it just felt too fast or it would give me a slightly uncanny feeling.

Like in general idk how to describe anything on the technical terms, I just know it doesnt feel right and it makes me motion sick if its not ‘right’. 30fps in games also does the same where i can get motion sick from that.

1 Like

Hm yeah to me that sounds like what I was meaning of doing more than an doubling of FPS as I’ve done a quick check online just to check and the original movie was 23.9FPS ish rather than the full 30. (Dunno why, haven’t looked into it) So yeah someone doing 60 meant that it wasn’t an easy job for the interpolation software, especially to round it. (I don’t remember and can’t find it from a quick search but I found some data that said to avoid forcing the FPS to be rounded due to bad consequences)

So yeah you were noticing the blurry frames added in is my best guess and it was throwing you off even more since you have a vague recollection of what it should have looked like and yet it didn’t. It seems like an case of someone going “Chuck it in the oven and demand this from it no matter what” rather than taking time and putting effort into it.

1 Like

Here would be how I would break it down personally.

Animated content:

• More Frames is better video regardless of method
  • More upscaling is better video regardless of method

Live action:

• More Frames is better video if it is simply encoding with more frames, interpolation often looks off in my opinion, but I’ve found that simply being encoded at higher framerates leads to a smoother video experience.
  • More upscaling is better in specific cases. Maybe as a general rule going one step up in scale is acceptable, but often times upscaling leads to it looking fake / instagramy and i find that offputting as well. Again though I find that simply encoding at a higher resolution can lead to slight improvement overall in the playback experience.

Can anyone give some examples of where video quality impacts on what resolution they choose?

For me the only one that came to my mind is well if it’s too grainy.

Upscale/FPS increase request topic , Video resolution mega poll and recommended multi-axis script along with single-axis script which is a Fap Hero.