The Inchworm (New Device Part 2)

Yes there is some variation with the raw output of the sensor. I have some tricks and things to test with all of that. I am interested in the MQTT and xtoys integration.

Amogus

3 Likes

Anyone else think we’re coming dangerously close to having the tech to fucking your own ass? :rofl:

1 Like

You can do that today. You just have to know how to connect things.

This is a cool project you have going on - can’t wait for it to be a real deal that we can all try. :heart_eyes:

Btw, why did you pick the more expensive VL53L1X over the cheaper VL53L0X? I thought the only different is the greater max range (100cm vs 400cm).

1 Like

The price difference is small between those two sensors. The 1x has more capabilities I can potentially use to improve performance in ways that the 0x cannot.

Thanks. I will start testing it with some other people soon. I redesigned it some (hopefully this is the final version :face_with_spiral_eyes:), this is what it looks like now.

2 Likes

I changed the name to C.A.T for all of you chickens who are afraid of worms :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::bug:. The final case looks like a cat head. Here are some pics of the new case on a fleshlight and some updated gifs showing handy control.

20240923_030320_1_3
20240923_030320_1_2

2 Likes

Would it be possible to use this kind of like a joystick to create multiaxis scripts? That would be a gamechanger.

2 Likes

What? This isnt a game changer enough for you? :yum:

I like the idea. If I added an IMU we could use it for multiaxis. As it is the TOF sensor is just one axis. I work with IMUs too it will be easy. The board I will be using in the released version has an IMU so I will add this in the future. I dont have a multiaxis stroker so idk when. What software and plugins do you use to script multiaxis?

I know it feels like this is taking a long time, but it is progressing nicely. The longer it takes the better it gets. Just look at how much better the sensor case has gotten over the course of this thread. I started testing with other people and one of my guys has posted about his on The Handy and some other Discords.

It’s built directly into OFS. I have absolutely no clue how you’d go about making OFS read inputs from this type of sensor, but I’d love to just be able to hit play and waggle a device around to track multiaxis movement.

1 Like

Right. It wont be that hard I know how to approach this. I just have to get the free time and hardware to make it a reality.

For now you get proper depth sensing and 1 axis stroker control.

1 Like

Don’t waste your time - it is impossible to achieve perfect Z rotation with IMU, I once broke my head trying to remove deviation in the vertical axis.
You can’t do it without optics - that’s why I use HTC Vive controller to write multi-axis scripts. And the PS Move I bought with cameras is sitting on the shelf.

1 Like

@flowerstrample Out of curiosity, do you know if it’s possible to map a standard Xbox/PlayStation controller to achieve the same thing with the sticks? Just looking for a simpler multi-axis solution.

A quest 2 controller would also work in my particular case. I just don’t really want to buy a vive controller for it lol.

I started out with a simple gamepad.

Now for complex scenes de need several passes I use Access controller

If interested and in demand, I can try to recreate the process of writing a multi-axis script with PS Move and PS eye camera.
But it’s a very heady setup with the help of several intermediate programs.

1 Like

That looks fucking amazing! I don’t want to hijack this post any more than I already have, but I’d love some guidance as to how to replicate that setup. Please message me if you are willing to explain :pray:

1 Like

You guys can post here. I have the same questions and interests.

Flowers - I think a 9-axis BNO085 should be able to maintain yaw/ Z axis stability for long enough to record a scene or do a control session. Also, do you know of a way to record live video and scripts at the same time?

I am also interested in creating a device that a model could wear for multi axis live control like a more complex version of my fleshlight demo above. The model would be like the fleshlight in my gifs above. (I’m not calling women fleshlight.)

This can already work for models like I mentioned before. You just need to stick it to something and move in front of it. I’m just not going to record a demo of my ass in front of the sensor.

Im a dude, this is as lewd as you people will get from me. Unless you are special… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
20240906_210559_1

1 Like
1 Like

I never tried Bosch sensors, rumor has it they are less accurate than TDK’s and more expensive.
I used MPU-9250 in my old project, also tried ICM-20948 - they have almost the same characteristics. But the first one is being discontinued, the second one is not recommended for designing new devices :slight_smile:

There are 13 sensors with batteries in the video.

There was even a board developed, I stayed on real world movements (positioning by RSSI + accelerometer). There are about 30 sensors lying on the shelf now :wink:

Theoretically, if there are no very fast rotations, the data from DMP (special co-processor in sensors) is quite stable.
You can use the same Blender to record scripts and videos (it’s pretty easy to capture serial/mqtt etc. data in it), then just export to familiar funscripts

1 Like

Amazing!

If you are interested I would love for you to help me test this and make it better for scripting. Im not an experienced scripter, and the people I have helping me test now are also more interested in the gaming and live control aspects. :pray:

1 Like

I’ve never turned anyone down for help - reach out. Maybe your project will grow out of childhood, and your experience and skills will stay with you forever.

1 Like