ScriptAxis - a searchable, sortable, filterable funscript directory

Congrats champ! You rock :love_you_gesture: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This site is my go-to and I love it, but it doesn’t work right now?

2 Likes

Yeah - it’s a long story, but my hosting account has temporarily been blocked due to a shitty automated system that Vercel uses.

Basically, I was doing some web scraping in the background, which I thought would be fine. I got an email Tuesday morning at 8am saying “hey you’ve exceeded your monthly bandwidth according to our fair use policy - reduce your usage or we’ll lock your account” (which I’ve never seen before, but I guess it was in the fine-print, fair enough)

So I turned off all my scrapers, bringing my usage way down to just what ScriptAxis and Funscript.io use, and sent an email apologizing.

But then they deactivated my account anyway?! So now I just have to wait for a support staff person to see my email and hopefully take pity on me. Worst-case scenario, it will be 30 days before my sites are back up. I’m so pissed off. If they’d told me when I was approaching the limit, rather than had already passed it (not including my normal organic site traffic) then this wouldn’t have happened.

So lame.

So yeah. Sorry about that! ScriptAxis will be down for a little while. I’ll make another post here once it’s back up.

3 Likes

Hey all, the site is back up now. You might need to refresh if you still see the ‘deployment disabled’ error

As it turns out, scraping is itself against the TOS of the site, and that was what got my account locked. So now I know that haha :upside_down_face:
Disabled all my scrapers and got my account reinstated. Lesson learned!

Ehh things happen, thanks for the update and glad it’s working again!

I see that scriptaxis has not updated the content for a while. Is the project on hold?

1 Like

That wonders me too. I like the website and the idea of it a lot, and I use it often. I mean, if you don’t have enough time, I would like to help to keep the website and everything up to date, like adding videos and scripts. Additionally, I have some basic programming skills in HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL. I have an account on scriptaxis. Feel free to contact me :slight_smile: @defucilis

Haha yeah - I’ll copy-paste my post on the funscript.io thread:

I’m sorry it’s been so long between updates everyone - the situation is basically that I worked myself way, way too hard getting a big project shipped from August last year until the end of January (i.e. two weeks ago). So now I’m really exhausted, sick and burned out. :frowning:

I definitely haven’t abandoned the projects (I still use both all the time myself, bugs and all!), but I’m barely keeping up with my day job at the moment - I suspect it’ll be a few more weeks at least before I have the energy to get back into my hobby work.

I could definitely use some help adding scripts - for ages it was my daily habit to go through and add everything new posted to EroScripts, but when I got busy that list grew and grew and grew until it was like several hundred scripts, and I just declared bankruptcy and stopped updating them. I should probably start getting back into adding them each day :stuck_out_tongue:

The functionality to allow others to add scripts is already in-place and working - so if anyone’s keen to add scripts themselves, send me a message and I can set your account up with the necessary privileges + run you through the conventions that I try to ensure scripts have.

1 Like

First, thank you for the tremendous amount of effort you put in to create and maintain that site. I am wondering, though, if it might work better for you to invest some time upfront to create some sort of scraping script that would automatically check for new scripts here and add them dynamically to your site.

Yeah, the idea behind is not new, but as @defucilis mentioned earlier, it is against the ToS from the current hoster of scriptaxis.com to use scraper. He would need to change the hoster or use the scraper on another device / service and upload it.

Overall a lots of people forget, Scriptaxis is for free.

I started a similar project behind closed doors, just for me and some active scripter (if they want to use it). It is too much work to run it for free, totally crazy how much time you have to spend to run a site like this on a good quality level.

Without getting paid for it, I don’t mean a low amount like 500 Dollar per month, it is crazy to run a site like this. Maybe some people should move their asses and ask how to help him administrate scriptaxis instead of asking when it goes back online.

I’m sorry, I just had to say that.

2 Likes

There is an API for discourse that I could use to automatically create ScriptAxis entries from EroScripts. It’s definitely something that I’ve thought about and wouldn’t add much server load (asking the API for an entry actually uses less data than loading the page myself and manually copying the data across). That wouldn’t be against ToS for Vercel (which is where ScriptAxis is hosted)

However, the quality of posts created this way would be very poor - I do a fair amount of formatting and cleanup to ensure that all the entries in ScriptAxis are consistent and useful - for example 90% of the time I make the thumbnail myself, I often go through and find my own links to the original source, redo the title, etc. So automatic post creation would probably only ever be useful as a starting point for manual curation…unless I’m willing to let ScriptAxis become far messier.

Haha it’s true - although I did create ScriptAxis primarily for myself + as an excuse to learn some interesting new web technologies. My plan was always for the entries to be added by other people, and all I would need to do was make sure the underlying tech works. But I never quite got it ready for such a use-case and have been stuck manually creating entries.
I hope to have the time this year to finally finish up all the necessary tools to ensure that anyone can create scripts on the site without it causing issues in the scripting community.

2 Likes

@defucilis that’s great news! I was afraid that the whole effort was abandoned, which would be a pitty. Count me in, I would like to contribute too as a content editor.

I’d like to make a suggestion for the search options. I’m working on my first PMV and this site is a godsend when you are trying to make footage synch to music! The only minor frustration I have is that often times the videos are not available or behind a paywall. Can you add a search option for that? So I can filter the videos I can view right now no questions asked.

The problem with such site being fully public when adding content is that you will also be forced to moderate that content. This can often be resolved if you simply select some people to upload more content.

There are plenty of people on the forums here that probably could handle that part a bit for you. And this way, even though it might not contain all videos and scripts, you can at least increase the amount of content, and have the moderation step also partialy done (if someone uploads bad content, you can easily prevent him from doing so in the future, and clean up whatever he posted).

The only potential downside is that they might lose some anonimity through the linked accounts. So not everyone might want to do this. (but, the same trust also happens on this site, so i wouldnt say its impossible to get anyone)

@defucilis
Amazing work! Thanks for setting up this platform.
What’s the current process of beeing validated as script author?

I may add my own (pretty new to this business, only made 3 scripts till now), as well as supporting your platform by adding scripts from others.

To be honest, now that FapTap is a thing, I don’t really have a huge amount of motivation to go through the process of onboarding people as creators and working on the site again (not to mention to continue paying the database hosting fee).

Site is very bugged

Oh yes I probably should have posted in this thread: I’m officially not working on ScriptAxis anymore since FapTap does everything that I’d originally set out to do, but better :smiley:

1 Like

Whished FapTap had more furry scripted videoes, it seems pretty barren of those types.